• ASiegel
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    As Apple use their own custom chips, it seems important to acknowledge that this step would not necessarily have wider implications for the larger ARM ecosystem.

But surely ARM are far more heavily slanted toward SoC than PPC ever was, so Apple may not even need custom chips?

By "custom chips", I was referring to ARM-derived System-on-Chips that Apple has developed in-house and absolutely nobody else is using.

Quote:

ARM desktop might be a different beast, but to my understanding ARM desktop never really took off anyway. ARM netbooks disappeared quickly and Chromebooks haven't made much impression. I don't think this was a factor of any unsuitability of ARM CPUs or their support chips, but I could be wrong.

Again, I was not making any statement about support chips.

ARM Chromebooks have been largely replaced with Intel-based versions on store shelves because the performance simply was not competitive. Every single review of ARM Chromebooks I have ever seen over the course of many years made a point to mention that the speed was sorely lacking and people should consider buying a version with an Intel chip for this reason.

For people who are interested to run Android apps on ChromeOS, ARM models might provide a smoother experience. But if you plan on running Linux apps on ChromeOS, you will notice various precompiled packages are only available for Intel-compatible architectures.
  • »23.02.19 - 18:36