• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >>> Using GPU for vidéo demuxing [...] is much like the original Amiga spirit.

>> Does it really make sense to use the GPU for video demuxing? Does the GPU
    >> really have an advantage over the CPU there?

> Yes Andeas, Using the gpu to help decode info it will be displaying makes
    > sense. Its used in most mainstream OS' and it lowers the cpu workload. Also,
    > it's the only way some weak cpus like the one in the RPi can handle hd video.

Am I right in suspecting that you just changed the topic from demuxing to decoding? Demuxing multimedia files or streams means separating the video and audio information contained in a multimedia container and sending them to the respective decoders for actual decoding. Is that really done by the GPU these days? I mean, even if it's technically possible to have the GPU demux the data on its own, isn't the demuxing workload only a minuscule fraction of the decoding workload anyway?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demultiplexer_%28media_file%29

Good point Andreas.
    I have neglected how sound is separated.
    And in most of the hardware that I have owned I think sound is driven by the CPU out whatever sound device you use.

Which makes me wonder how have video card manufacturers are driving the audio out portion of the hdmi signal.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »15.04.16 - 21:00