• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Saying that a smartphone or tablet can repleace a convergence box to plug on
    > the TV implies that people would settle for watching on the very small screen

No, it doesn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_High-Definition_Link
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#SlimPort

>>> Did they do anything to combat the loss of the printer and router markets?
    >>> No, not the least.

>> They developed new SoCs for these markets.

> the last SoC series from freescale to become popular in these markets was the
    > PowerQUICC III, with very few router companies sticking in to the e600 generation
    > and a very few printers sticking in up to the QuorIQ.

Sometimes you do care and try your best but still lose to contenders. That's (business) life. You can of course always say they didn't do enough to keep their market share, but claiming they didn't do the least when they were continuously developing and releasing SoCs for these markets is certainly nonsense.
    Btw, I think QorIQ has been more for routers than for printers.

> Obviously something went wrong.

Yes, but this wasn't Freescale not doing the least as you claimed.

>>> They never tried to seriously sell their NAS designs either

>> Freescale was a semiconductor company. Why should they have sold NAS devices?

> I never said they should have made NAS. They did have SoC for NAS and
    > reference PCB designs.

I consider it strange to call a SoC intended for NAS devices a "NAS design" :-)

> They never really tried sell those SoCs

What do you mean by that? Can you be more specific? As far as I can see, they have been selling QorIQ P1 (from 2010) and LS1 (from 2014) SoCs explicitly for NAS.

>>> I think you do not realize the value for Imagination Technologies to have an
    >>> efficient performant and ultra-low latency operating system supplied to them.

>> I guess they don't and won't either ;-)

> I am not so sure, It is worth gold.

Pipe dreams.
  • »11.03.16 - 11:45