• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

amigabeliever schrieb:
    > All your convergence box things is pretty 2000ish.
    > Look for example to the new Samsung Galaxy S7. That's how the market evolves.,
    I have to disagree, the market for smartphones and tablets is already saturated. Tablets and smartphones are the present and will soon be the past. The industry will find something else to sell to the customer who is already overequiped.

Smartphones and tablets have already reached stagnation. They got their start by reducing the need for computers. They did not replace people's main computer but took the place of the third or fourth computer which many people used to have. They also allowed people to consume content on the go.

> Who cares about some strange set top boxes.
    It would not be a mere set-top-box. It would integrate many different functions. Do you really think the customer wants to have all of:
    DVD or Blu-Ray player
    OTA-television DVR
    game console
    Roku, AppleTV or equivalent

When they can have one box which has it all and also allows the following:
    Play indie games (consoles mostly have big studio games)
    Play high quality amateur (free) games
    Allow children to play educational games
    Acess textual data services (news, weather, road traffic, etc.)
    Watch/record a video filmed with one's cameraphone / tablet / digital camcorder
    View interactive multimedia content
    View HBBTV

All of that is possible with a (potent) smart phone (except replay of physical optical media, but they are dying out, as streaming is the current main approach). The smart phone will evolve to your "convergence box". New smart phones will do everything for Joe Average. Not that I massively applaude to this development route, but that's where the market is heading to. There's no place for MorphOS in the mass market. but only within a niche. And a niche will not sustain with custom hardware. I really don't see any advantage in custom hardware at all (unless you are a multi billion EUR/$$$ company, then it may scale for you).
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »11.03.16 - 00:11
    Profile Visit Website