2016 - your expectations
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > there is no stuff like drag and drop between screens.

"It is even possible to drag the current screen down to reveal another screen behind it, (even if they have different display resolutions) so that you can view two screens simultaneously, or even drag and drop files and other content from one screen to another.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmigaOS_4#Appearance

> screen dragging [...] was not implemented on purpose.

It may have been a welcome byproduct on the old OCS/ECS/AGA chipsets, but on OS3/CGX, OS4 and AROS it has been implemented on purpose.

I talked about MorphOS here and nothing else.

If you actually ask someone on OS4 when he *used* that feature the last time and i do not see "Haha, look we have screen dragging!" as "using that feature", then you will notice it is obsolete.

I personally work with at least 4 screens 24/7 on my MorphOS systems and never missed that feature. Since I have two displays connected to my PowerMac I not even miss drag and drop between them.
  • »11.05.16 - 08:47
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I talked about MorphOS here and nothing else.

Sorry, I thought you were talking in a general sense. Of course, if screen dragging was to be implemented in MorphOS, drag and drop between screens should be implemented all the more (beforehand or in one go) as it would be useful even without screen dragging.

> Since I have two displays connected to my PowerMac I not even miss
    > drag and drop between them.

You mean you actually can drag and drop between two displays? Or how does having two displays help with not being able to drag and drop?
  • »11.05.16 - 12:16
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    You mean you actually can drag and drop between two displays? Or how does having two displays help with not being able to drag and drop?

There is no drag and drop between screens at all. There is basically no real use for interapplication drag and drop, too.

I can move the mouse between displays and the clipboard is the most used feature here anyway.

In very rare cases I drag a color gadget onto some other to match colors, but beside that most drag and drop is performed on Ambient screen. Or some icon onto a panel or the information window to replace it. That is mostly it.
  • »11.05.16 - 12:48
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    r-tea
    Quote:

geit wrote:
    The most useless function ever.

I realize that this is just an eyecandy, but I really miss it. Not due to the nuts and bolts of it but just for sentimental reason.

Quote:

geit wrote:
    Especially when you can move any application to any screen at any time.

Recently I noticed one excepton. One can't jump to foreign screen with Ambien's file browsers. There's no MUI popup button on their titlebars.
    Mac mini G4@1,5GHz silent upgrade + Xerox Phaser 3140 + EPSON Perfection 1240U
    Commodore C64C + 2 x 1541II + Datasette + SD-Box

I miss draggable screens... and do you? I know I'm in a minority unfortunately.
  • »11.05.16 - 16:32
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

r-tea schrieb:
    I realize that this is just an eyecandy, but I really miss it. Not due to the nuts and bolts of it but just for sentimental reason.

+1, it's an Amiga unique Feature I'm missing too, sorry ;)
  • »11.05.16 - 16:39
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    r-tea
    Quote:

Nimrod1971 wrote:

Pretty serious... Especially highlighting it is UNIQUE.
    Mac mini G4@1,5GHz silent upgrade + Xerox Phaser 3140 + EPSON Perfection 1240U
    Commodore C64C + 2 x 1541II + Datasette + SD-Box

I miss draggable screens... and do you? I know I'm in a minority unfortunately.
  • »11.05.16 - 17:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

r-tea wrote:
    Quote:

Nimrod1971 wrote:

http://amigazeux.net/dragon/
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »11.05.16 - 21:11
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

r-tea wrote:
    Quote:

Nimrod1971 wrote:

Well, "Randomly stacked icons" and "trillion windows browsing" are as well unique features of amiga os as zero workbench functionality
    and i guess noone is using those fetures, even as they are implemented. :D
  • »11.05.16 - 22:34
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    wish for 2016 :

something to happen, no seriously, i mean anything.

Quote:

22.01.16 - MorphOS Software Development Kit 3.10 - Public Release
  • »12.05.16 - 15:34
  • Just looking around
    Bastiaan
    My wishlist for 2016+:

- Scrible improvements (more IDE like)
    - Debugger support for C(++)
    - Shader support in TinyGL
    - Updated OWB (JS-JIT and Updated engine)
    - x64 support.
    - A virtualisation host (like VirtualBox)

SDL2 (@Itix! ;))
  • »12.05.16 - 20:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    BSzili
    SDL2 with TinyGL support would be neat.
    This is just like television, only you can see much further.
  • »13.05.16 - 08:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    marmotta
    I'd like to be sure of the support (or not) of Pcie G5! My machine wait Morphos....
  • »09.06.16 - 15:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

marmotta wrote:
    I'd like to be sure of the support (or not) of Pcie G5! My machine wait Morphos....

Only sure thing about support for PCIe G5 is that no such support has been announced or promised (AFAIK), so there is no way to know if such support will ever happen, or if it does happen, no way to know when it would happen, until announced, or released. It would be a nice final addition to the PPC version of MorphOS, since the last G5 PowerMac models used PCIe graphics cards, but depending on how much work is needed to complete such a version of MorphOS, it might not be worth it to the Dev. Team members, who may at this point think that their time is better spent working on the x64 port of MorphOS.

Unless the PPC version of MorphOS would get some kind of multi CPU support (which is very unlikely), it seems to me that it would be even more wasteful to run MorphOS on quad core G5's than it already is to run on dual core, or dual CPU G5's now. I like my dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac a lot for running MorphOS, but in these days I feel that using a more energy efficient system is more responsible and practical. I would like to have MorphOS ported to my Raspberry Pi 2 (and v3 as well), but understand the decision to port to x64 instead of ARM.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »09.06.16 - 19:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> I'd like to be sure of the support (or not) of Pcie G5!

> it would be even more wasteful to run MorphOS on quad core G5's than it already is
    > to run on [...] dual CPU G5's now.

PCIe-based G5 is not just the quad-core PowerMac G5, but also these dual-core and single-core systems:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/specs/powermac_g5_dual_2.0.html
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/specs/powermac_g5_dual_2.3.html
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_g5_1.9_17.html
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_g5_2.1_20.html
  • »09.06.16 - 20:11
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I just purchased a Quad core G5 on eBay.
    Now all I need is a P5040 based X5000 (and MorphOS for both systems) and I can run some benchmarks.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »09.06.16 - 22:32
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    marmotta
    Sigle, dual or quad G5 Pcie with Radeon is not very different than X5000, I hope the work for x5000/sam460 help G5 Pcie version development...
  • »10.06.16 - 05:37
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Zylesea schrieb:
    Well, time goes by and soon 2015 will be over. What are your expecations for 2016?
    Here are mine as a starter:

MorphOS:
    3.10 should be out rather soon with some nice things to come (new gfx drivers, usb isochronous mode).
    New sdk, too.

I hope that development of MorphOS on x64 will go full steam in 2016 and maybe first things will be shown later the year, but I don't expect a release for x64 in 2016 (if lucky in 2017 though).

Software:
    Pagestream could eventually make it.
    I hope for an Odyssey update. JS-JIT would be great.

Hardware:
    I don't expect new hardware (mainboards/computers) for MorphOS this year except the X5000.

Users:
    I think the slow increase will continue, but I doubt the increase will speed up significantly unless MorphOS x64 will come (and eve then I don't expect masses to come, but maybe 5 digit number of users could get reached then)

Myself:
    Hope to make my first serious application for a broader audience.

I think I postpone my 2016 expectations to 2017...
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »31.12.16 - 14:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:

I think I postpone my 2016 expectations to 2017...

:lol:

Same here, 2016 was kind of lame from a MorphOS perspective.

I hereby copy/paste my 2016 expectations for 2017 instead...

:-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »31.12.16 - 15:15
    Kronos
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    - PastePass going "gold" (as in never to be touched again)

- Getting devs to use "panel.library" (well if I ever get around sending it upstream ;) )

- New version of SteamDraw (was also planned for 2015.... time flies......)

- Odds and odd ends

Lets just make all that 2018.....
  • »31.12.16 - 16:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    My hope for MorphOS in 2017 is that we find more programmers, for 3rd party MorphOS native software, be it original code, or ported from other systems. Also, I hope for the MorphOS Dev. Team to find a few new members for their team, who are full of energy and good coding skills, so that progress on both the existing PPC version of MorphOS, and the future x64 version of MorphOS will be realized faster, and there will be less stress, on our existing MorphOS Dev. Team members.

I fear that it is becoming less and less rewarding for many of the MorphOS Dev. Team members, to work on any part of MorphOS3.10, and some members of the community can be discouraging with their comments and lack of appreciation, for what the Dev. Team does (without any compensation for their time).

So, my suggestion to all MorphOS users is to give thanks for what we have already, to help out in any way that they can, and to keep a positive attitude towards the future of MorphOS. These actions will do much more good than complaints and questions asking when this or that feature will be completed, or when MorphOS3.10 will be released.

Happy New Year everyone!
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »01.01.17 - 05:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Zylesea schrieb:
    Well, time goes by and soon 2015 will be over. What are your expecations for 2016?
    Here are mine as a starter:

MorphOS:
    3.10 should be out rather soon with some nice things to come (new gfx drivers, usb isochronous mode).
    New sdk, too.

I hope that development of MorphOS on x64 will go full steam in 2016 and maybe first things will be shown later the year, but I don't expect a release for x64 in 2016 (if lucky in 2017 though).

I postpone all the above another year to 2018. At least the thing for 3.10.
    Gosh, time flies!
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »31.12.17 - 21:35
    Profile Visit Website
    Cego
    so this must be how it feels to be an OS4 fan. Intriguing!
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »31.12.17 - 23:33
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Cego wrote:

How very motivating. This surely keeps people going!
  • »01.01.18 - 00:38
    Cego
    @ASiegel

come on, it was just a little joke :)
    It’s all good!
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »01.01.18 - 09:40
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Cego wrote:

Well, 3.10 in 2018 would be nice, as we've already seen a beta demo'd.

PCI-E G5 support would also be cool, and the argument against 11,2 Quads isn't much different from running MorphOS on an X5000/40.
    If I have to, I'll pay for the latter, but I already own the former, AND it might outperform an X5000.

An as to OS4, I actually am feeling some sympathy with Hyperion over this OS3.1 nonsense with Cloanto. After all, both companies rights are obtained/certified by the devil himself (Bill who's name shall not be mentioned).

Instead of talking about what we're not doing (some of which is low hanging fruit), we ought to be talking about what could be done.

I'm willing to be a part of any bounty that produces some new functionality.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »01.01.18 - 16:44