• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote
    Or A-Eon pays for it, as ASiegel suggested, and just like Genesi did for the Efika 5200B port.

Probably only two scenarios where the Tabor gets supported by the MorphOS Dev. Team.

#1 - A-Eon pays them cash plus free Tabor boards to port MorphOS to the Tabor.

#2 - The performance of the Tabor is not as terrible as predicted, the price is low enough to be attractive to many users that want new hardware, opposed to used systems, and the amount of work to write a special FPU emulated version of MorphOS which makes MorphOS run well on the Tabor, is less than expected, or feared, so some of the MorphOS Dev. Team members change their perception and volunteer to do the port. (going to X64 makes so much more sense)

Since number 2 option would probably not start until well after a port of AmigaOS4.1FE is finished, and there is a large possibility that a port of MorphOS will never happen, it would be smarter for A-Eon to pay for option #1 and get sales of the Tabor started sooner, rather than later. The problem with option #1 is there is no guarantee how many MorphOS users would buy a Tabor system or motherboard, even if a port of MorphOS is completed and runs well with the emulated FPU instructions. The price and performance would probably have to be close to, or better than many of the currently supported G4 MorphOS systems, which may not be possible.

I'm not sure the risk is worth the money spent for a port paid by A-Eon, but since they have already risked so much on the Tabor by committing to purchase 1,000 CPU's, I figure they either need to go "All In" and risk the further investment to get MorphOS ported to it, or try to sell those P1022 CPU's to another re-seller, or manufacturer that can use them (even if it is at a small loss), so they can switch to the better choice of the T2080 CPU.

It is hard for me to imagine A-Eon waiting 6 months to 2 years for AmigaOS4.1FE, or 4.2 to be ported to the Tabor and expecting users to purchase 1,000 Tabor systems, but maybe that is exactly what they will do.

I am not their target market, since I already own more compatible systems than I really need, and I will not be buying a Tabor system no matter what happens, or how it performs, at any cost. Just sharing my opinion of what the most probably options are, and still hoping that A-Eon can figure out a way to make their plans work out.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »25.11.15 - 01:26