• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

ausPPC schrieb:
    If you guys were already running MorphOS on your preferred architecture, then what? What would you be able to do that you can't already do?

Primarily I need more cpu power and RAM for convenient browsing, hd video and demanding pdfs. Especially the RAM issue is important. It cannot improved (much) w/o breaking up binary compability. AmigaOS is virtually bound to 31 bit addressing. Going to a 64 bit (even going to use the full 32 bit or 36 bit many ppcs support) address space is a major change which will lead to a binary compability breakage.
    And while breaking binary compability add SMP and full resourse tracking and (maybe) MP, too.
    In short: make a MorphOS NG.
    And I don't care which ISA is used as long as it warrants fast, affordable and easily obtainable hardware. And in my book this is best fullfilled by x64 hardware.
    Additionally ISA related/dependent developments (like JS JIT) are easier on a widely spread architecture.

On the other hand: MorphOS currently runs on ppc. A new modestly powerful board with a remotely reasonable price has its charme. I would actually welcome that. But only if it doesn't hinder MorphOS NG development.
    --
    http://www.via-altera.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »19.11.15 - 21:48
    Profile Visit Website