MorphOS - better or worse if there were no AmigaOS4 anymore?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Quote:

Cego schrieb:
    @OlafSch

truth is almost every huge thread on MZ is OS4 related. Look for yourself. People are constantly bashing OS4 and at the same time there is no real productive topic about MorphOS and the question what the user can do to improve the system and the community. Yes, there are individuals who do a lot but it stands in no relation to the majority.

MorphOS users need OS4 for their own identification. Just the fact that its always about comparing between those two, shows that OS4 is an essential part of a MorphOS users state of mind.

I use harsh words i know, but others do the same. The only difference is that i dare to talk the truth and be critical about ourselves and our behaviour. Typical that the first reaction is something like "leave this place" or "you're an OS4 fanboy" blah blah.
    For me that reacton is typical for a fanboy who doesnt want to hear any critisicm about his own thing.

And if MorphOS is really going to throw all the amiganess away, what will MorphOS become? What will be its identification? What will MorphOS stand for? And why should i still use it, if its going to become just another random operating system like many other and unknown ones out there? The main argument about MorphOS was always "AmigaOS done right".
    But when this aspects going to lose, I'm probably better off with just any other OS which got all the benefits that morphos lack.

I always looked at morphos as an advanced and further developed AmigaOS 3.1 and i hope it'll stay that way and true to it's legacy and amiga philosophy.

I cannot say much about how MorphOS will look like. I assume it will still use Ambient and MUI for desktop so from a user point of view propably not that much would change. They also want to drop "legacy components" like datatypes where they have something better already. Most would change under the hood when implementing 64bit, SMP and memory protection. 68k integration will be with UAE like on Aros but different to now and old PPC software will not run anymore and certainly will not run with simple recompilation. So it is (regarding software) a risky strategy (different to Aros who want sourcecode compatibility). That is what I have read about it over rencent months.

[ Editiert durch OlafSch 10.11.2015 - 12:27 ]
  • »10.11.15 - 12:26
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    @cego

why do you not start with a tutorial, a blog or a wiki site?

Installing it is no problem and most is free of charge. The work is the content

[ Editiert durch OlafSch 10.11.2015 - 12:30 ]
  • »10.11.15 - 12:28
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Britelite
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    Just an example. MorphOS is lacking documentation and HowTo's for beginners. Why isn't anybody from the community working on that?

Why aren't you working on that?
  • »10.11.15 - 12:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    oh and talking about quality vs. quantity... why not both? Ever tried that? We already got the quality (coming from the morphos team) now lets have the quantity too (coming from us, with community projects)

We should consider ourselves lucky compared to the OS4 community, because regarding quality we got the right devs and thats something we couldn't change if it was the other way round.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »10.11.15 - 12:38
    Cego
    lol, i did that. i did many tutorials years ago and still nothing changed. Don't come at me that way. i did my part, but one person will not be enough ;-)
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »10.11.15 - 12:40
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Quote:

Cego schrieb:
    lol, i did that. i did many tutorials years ago and still nothing changed. Don't come at me that way. i did my part, but one person will not be enough ;-)

where can we find the tutorials you did?
  • »10.11.15 - 12:43
    Cego
    on the biggest german amiga community forum known as www.a1k.org with several hundreds of users daily.
  • »10.11.15 - 12:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Quote:

Cego schrieb:
    on the biggest german amiga community forum known as www.a1k.org with several hundreds of users daily.

in german I assume... :)

it is a little difficult to find for beginners if they are hidden in a forum. It would make more sense to have a central point where you can look when you are starting with MorphOS. And of course having it in english would not harm too

Perhaps other people feel then motivated to contribute too

[ Editiert durch OlafSch 10.11.2015 - 12:49 ]
  • »10.11.15 - 12:49
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    Just an example. MorphOS is lacking documentation and HowTo's for beginners. Why isn't anybody from the community working on that? Lets get some ffmpeg/mplayer workshops done and show users how to cut and convert videos f.e.
    Or some kind of Ambient manual to show off its strenght and power. An OWB howto, Showgirls, Prefs/MUI settings decription etc. nobody really cares. I started that kind of stuff on an german amiga forum but really lost interest because it is just a too huge task for one man.

There is absolutely nothing besides this kinda chaotic forum for morphos newbies. you cant get more user unfriendly than this.

Some people, like me and Boot_wb for example, have been updating MorphOS Library slowly, but also recently. And we are just regular users, not any forum moderators or so. There are HowTos and other documentation even from MorphOS internals, and it's a really good base and readily available infrastructure to add more. And this is a far better place to get everything centralized than something in other forums or private pages.

Please get a library account if you already don't have it (accounts were given to a regular MZ users automatically few years ago, but you can still easily apply it too) and come help us! Learning the wiki syntax isn't that difficult either and you can look examples from the existing pages.

And please convert your existing tutorials to the Library wiki! I did the same for my stuff.

[ Edited by jPV 10.11.2015 - 14:51 ]
  • »10.11.15 - 12:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Cego

Quote:

There is absolutely nothing besides this kinda chaotic forum for morphos newbies. you cant get more user unfriendly than this.

That was actually the point of my blog: to be a good first-to-go-place for new (or somewhat new) MorphOS users.

I think that there is one huge difference between this community and AmigaOS 4 community. That is that a lot of software is released pretty unnoticed here, unlike the red side where you easily get a (long) thread about the latest release if software X. Regardless if it's something new or just an update.

This may give the impression that nothing is ever released (while it actually is) and is probably not a moral boost for those who work on MorphOS software.

This we could so something about in order to let the developers know that their work is appriciated. I came in contact with the guy behind FPSE when I wanted to play some PS1 game but the emulator had some problems. And what do you know, he started to work on the problem (after several years of inactivity) and released his SDK as open source, making it possible for BSzili to fix it for the XBox 360 pad. Just by showing some appriciation and encouragement. Not just FPSE, I try to come in contact with a lot of different developers to show my interest and appriciation. It's actually pretty effective.

[ Edited by Yasu 10.11.2015 - 13:53 ]
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »10.11.15 - 12:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    Just an example. MorphOS is lacking documentation and HowTo's for beginners. Why isn't anybody from the community working on that? Lets get some ffmpeg/mplayer workshops done and show users how to cut and convert videos f.e.
    Or some kind of Ambient manual to show off its strenght and power. An OWB howto, Showgirls, Prefs/MUI settings decription etc. nobody really cares. I started that kind of stuff on an german amiga forum but really lost interest because it is just a too huge task for one man.

There is absolutely nothing besides this kinda chaotic forum for morphos newbies.

Agree again...
    These kind of documentations are vital for new users... And also could be interesting for experienced users too.

I often find some infos about MOS here and there. They could be collected to a Wiki to find them more easily.
  • »10.11.15 - 12:52
    Cego
    Quote:

OlafSch wrote:
    Quote:

Cego schrieb:

in german I assume... :)

it is a little difficult to find for beginners if they are hidden in a forum. It would make more sense to have a central point where you can look when you are starting with MorphOS. And of course having it in english would not harm too

Perhaps other people feel then motivated to contribute too

[ Editiert durch OlafSch 10.11.2015 - 12:49 ]

believe me, there are some german beginners too who licensed morphos and i think they are also a part of this community then ;) aaaaaaand i'm pretty sure my howto's and tutorials helped them and changed their opinion about MorphOS. There are now a lot of MorphOS users praising our system, but still the vast majority still thinks bad about the reputation of this community.

[ Edited by Cego 10.11.2015 - 12:57 ]
  • »10.11.15 - 12:53
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    believe me, there are some german beginners too who licensed morphos and i think they are also a part of this community then.

That is OK... You prefer your mother tongue.
    That is where Wiki could come handy. It can easily live together the docs written in different languages. A good document with pictures, etc. could be translated easily to others.
  • »10.11.15 - 13:01
    Cego
    i dont even dare to think about the possibility of how many potential new users lost interest in morphos just because of the lack of documentation and "first aid" meeting points. I really hoped that the community would take a huge step when the first Apple port came out, hoping that we could gather and keep all those new users. But that chance is gone.
  • »10.11.15 - 13:02
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    i dont even dare to think about the possibility of how many potential new users lost interest in morphos just because of the lack of documentation and "first aid" meeting points. I really hoped that the community would take a huge step when the first Apple port came out, hoping that we could gather and keep all those new users. But that chance is gone.

Once I've showed MOS to my ex collegues and when they heard the registration fee (and that it is a slightly high, I mean, comparable to Windows, where there are many many apps), they weren't interested about the further details.

I think, many thing should meet, to change to MOS.
  • »10.11.15 - 13:09
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Quote:

deka schrieb:
    Quote:

Cego wrote:

Once I've showed MOS to my ex collegues and when they heard the registration fee (and that it is a slightly high, I mean, comparable to Windows, where there are many many apps), they weren't interested about the further details.

I think, many thing should meet, to change to MOS.

as long there are no applications that make it worth to use even giving it away for free would not help
  • »10.11.15 - 13:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > all PPC based solutions today [...] no support in real world for it anymore
    > (example is Javascript JIT).

TenFourFox has JavaScript JIT. And there is this:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=10232&forum=3&start=2
  • »10.11.15 - 14:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > all PPC based solutions today [...] no support in real world for it anymore
    > (example is Javascript JIT).

TenFourFox has JavaScript JIT. And there is this:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=10232&forum=3&start=2

And this:

https://developer.ibm.com/opentech/2015/06/30/ppc-support-for-google-v8-goes-mainstream/
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »10.11.15 - 14:32
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

For me, doing all that community projects, has something to do with passion and dedication.

Speaking form myself, I use MorphOS because I am a customer and I like the project. I do not consider myself a part of a community because I use the product. I used to consider myself part of the Amiga Kommunity, but those days are long gone. Whether I am part of some MorphOS community could be debated, but really I just like and use the product.

Users shouldn't be expected by default to contribute for free to a computer platform, and then be berated if they don't. Any computer platform needs end users. People who do want to be part of a community and involve in community projects are great, just don't browbeat those who don't.

I think here's where you miss the plot. You expect everyone to be part of some larger Amiga Kommunity, and contributing to some common goal of of elevating "t he name" to prior prominence. Many of us just don't care about that. We just see products, and we discuss products based on their merits or weaknesses.
  • »10.11.15 - 14:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > i dare to talk the truth

"OS4 users have a large amount of new hardware configurations to choose from. We do not have that possibility."
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=11387&start=139

"my original statement that the OS4 guys have more new hardware configs to choose from is true."
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=11387&start=143

You mean like these "truths"?

> if MorphOS is really going to throw all the amiganess away [...]
    > The main argument about MorphOS was always "AmigaOS done right".
    > But when this aspects going to lose [...]

This depends on whether one considers backwards compatibility as the only aspect of "Amiganess".
  • »10.11.15 - 14:47
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> there is this:
    >> https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=10232&forum=3&start=2

> And this:
    > https://developer.ibm.com/opentech/2015/06/30/ppc-support-for-google-v8-goes-mainstream/

...which is the same ;-)
  • »10.11.15 - 14:52
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > old PPC software [...] certainly will not run with simple recompilation. So it is
    > [...] a [...] strategy [...] different to Aros who want sourcecode compatibility

Geit is of different opinion:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=11382&start=51
  • »10.11.15 - 15:00
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > regarding quality we got the right devs and thats something we couldn't change
    > if it was the other way round.

Of course we could. If it turned around users could switch and again have the "right devs" :-)

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=11387&start=181
  • »10.11.15 - 15:05
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

For me, doing all that community projects, has something to do with passion and dedication.

Speaking form myself, I use MorphOS because I am a customer and I like the project. I do not consider myself a part of a community because I use the product. I used to consider myself part of the Amiga Kommunity, but those days are long gone. Whether I am part of some MorphOS community could be debated, but really I just like and use the product.

Users shouldn't be expected by default to contribute for free to a computer platform, and then be berated if they don't. Any computer platform needs end users. People who do want to be part of a community and involve in community projects are great, just don't browbeat those who don't.

I think here's where you miss the plot. You expect everyone to be part of some larger Amiga Kommunity, and contributing to some common goal of of elevating "t he name" to prior prominence. Many of us just don't care about that. We just see products, and we discuss products based on their merits or weaknesses.

+Eleventy1 to that Red.

I guess some people must have empty lives so they feel a deep need to belong to something bigger than themselves. Careers and kids usually suffice.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »10.11.15 - 15:36