• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Like most commentators I doubt there will be a big exodus from OS 4 to MOS if OS 4 ceases to exist. But nevertheless I think the MorphOS community would gain a few users and so this situation could be seen as a win for MorphOS.

Why? Because it would be the only option left with a perspective for using that old 68k stuff AND ongoing development for PPC (and the prefigured ISA switch later).

I think the usual way to get 'drawn' into NG Amigas still is to be a classic user first. Like in my situation that may be enough for years, but if you read some forums you can become curious of what can be done with this NG Amigas. I already wanted to try out Amiga OS 4 about 3-4 years ago but the high price of new and second hand gear scared me off for just a hobby system. I was not interested in MorphOS then because of my dislike of buying Apple gear. ;-) Also second hand Apple hardware was more expensive that time either.

But as someone pointed out nowadays you can buy a Mac Mini G4 for 40 €, try out MorphOS for free and flush it down the toilet if you don't like it. In my case I am amazed what can be done with MorphOS on that hardware and never looked back! I am no longer interested in Amiga OS 4 because I don't see any advantage using it over my MorphOS/Ubuntu MATE dual boot.

The other way round if Morph OS disappears, I would look into AROS because you get some Amiga NG feeling on inexpensive hardware.

[ Editiert durch ernsteiswuerfel 09.11.2015 - 12:25 ]
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »09.11.15 - 11:22