• MorphOS Developer
    geit
    MorphOS would be for sure "worse" than without AmigaOS4.

This is not because of some Software ported from it (the rivers goes down the other direction), but because of the competition.

The first thing i though when hyperion was handled bankrupt beginning this year was simply "shit".

MorphOS is - not entirely of course - driven by competition. Best example is OWB. OS4 got it first and within a few days Fab did his own basic MUI based browser, which became the full MUI-OWB we all know later.

There was even an attempt to create this linux desktop driven project (fail to remember the name), which runs Gimp and Abi-Word on OS4, but in that case it was considered a waste of time. The desktop itself was already working.

These are not the only examples. There are more.

So, we need OS4 and also AROS. Not to grab stuff and use them, but to get our developers motivated and also inspired. Also the developer meetings are a great source of generating motivation and have generally a great impact on the work flow.

Without OS4 MorphOS wouldn´t probably be at the current stage. It probably would be years behind our current state.

This is of course only my oppinion and we will never know for sure unless someone plugs a flux capacitor into a delorien and changes history.

About messuring the user activity.

I guess the MorphOS Team has simply a solid update strategie, which pays off. Only one CD to install. Also the MorphOS drawer is a big benefit as it automatically avoids a messup with custom files installed.

Here and there a radeon driver to replace or some other comment aboud a minor bug and how to avoid it.

Thats why the noise in general on the net is quite low for MorphOS.

In most cases you push in the disc and install it. It does not matter if it is a first install or an update, so there is simply no need for "you need to install update xyz first." "check your installed .so files." Also we have tons of platforms. Earlier there was the "we want laptops", "i have a g5", "i have an ibook" stuff on the net, but now we mostly support all hardware available. So these noises are also gone.

Take away all these supports/problem based notes from the net and you get the real noise of activity level. Mostly screaming for new software, talking about new software and discussing the future.

[ Edited by geit 04.11.2015 - 12:56 ]
  • »04.11.15 - 11:46