Any news from Neuss
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    don't know if thats something new, but i could gather following information:

- MorphOS Team is already working on a NG MorphOS system with memory protection, smp,...
    - MorphOS PowerUp is at version 3.8 and if it will ever be released and when is not decided yet
    - 3.10 will come with X5000 support and MIDI

Besides that i saw a pretty nice and unreleased skin for ambient :) i hope it'll be released someday. Greets to all the team members and especiall bigfoot! I had some nice talking and it was great to meet all the big guys behind the scene :)
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »10.10.15 - 21:51
    Kronos
    @Cego

You forgot about your own plans for June 2016 !!
  • »10.10.15 - 21:59
    Cego
    damn it! what did i plan? i forgot...
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »10.10.15 - 22:17
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    roschmyr
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/134091577@N02/sets/72157659274614359
  • »10.10.15 - 22:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Well, I wasn't there (unfortunately had no time), but amiga-news.de reports about a new mini ITX mainboard b yAcube and Aeon.
    Two cores, 1.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM, and between 700-1200 EUR.
    http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2015-10-00027-EN.html
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »10.10.15 - 22:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/134091577@N02/22078528825/in/album-72157659274614359/

Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Well, I wasn't there (unfortunately had no time), but amiga-news.de reports about a new mini ITX mainboard b yAcube and Aeon.
    Two cores, 1.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM, and between 700-1200 EUR.
    http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2015-10-00027-EN.html
  • »10.10.15 - 22:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Cego schrieb:
    - MorphOS Team is already working on a NG MorphOS system with memory protection, smp,...

Not too surprising, but very good to hear some kind of confirmation.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »10.10.15 - 22:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kamelito
    I hope so since a change in the architecture has been evoked in 2011.
    One thing that you should be officially announced is does the programming API will remain as it is because one developer can't study an API that would be dropped during the architecture change.
    Think of Apple dropping Carbon in favor of Cocoa, during a period of time Classic was available then dropped, Carbon could use new feature but was dropped too so is the Amiga API still be the programming API for Morphos NG ? We need to know.

Bring on some official announcement please :)

Kamelito

[ Edité par kamelito 11.10.2015 - 14:01 ]
  • »11.10.15 - 12:42
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    eliyahu
    @thread

very excited about MOS NG, but even more so that there's a new IDE and debugger coming. i'd love to have something like codebench on MOS since i'm not such a huge cubic fan.

-- eliyahu
  • »11.10.15 - 13:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > One thing that you should be officially announced is does the programming API
    > will remain as it is [...]. [...] so is the Amiga API still be the programming API
    > for Morphos NG ? We need to know. Bring on some official announcement please :)

It has already been said in 2011 that because of the new features the OS API cannot stay compatible. That's also why there won't be a transparent emulation for current m68k or PPC programs.
  • »11.10.15 - 14:02
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I spoke to Mark (bigfoot) at Neuss and he told me that it's no real secret that he has been working on the "MorphOS NG" for quite some time now. But progress is slow. Mainly because of everyday life stuff but also because of the long list of existing MorphOS tasks that has to be done first.

It's good that work is being done (even though it was no real surprise) but I'm a little sad that we will probably still have to wait a long time before this reach fruition (though I didn't get an approximation in true MorphOS Team style). If there is a way to speed up process (like a bounty to help bigfoot/other developers to take time of real work) I will be happy to help.

Meating the Team was the highlight for me at Neuss. I was more starstruck by them than by R J Mical, Dave Haynie and Petro T :-)
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »11.10.15 - 15:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Everblue
    Thanks for that update Yasu. Do you think it is safe to assume that MorphOS NG = x86/x64?

If a bounty was setup I would be interested to help, but obviously more information on the project has to be released.

PS. How "long" is a "long time" in this case :P

[ Edited by Everblue 11.10.2015 - 16:56 ]
  • »11.10.15 - 15:54
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kamelito
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf a écrit :
    It has already been said in 2011 that because of the new features the OS API cannot stay compatible. That's also why there won't be a transparent emulation for current m68k or PPC programs.

I meant at source code level not binary.
    Kamelito
  • »11.10.15 - 16:20
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I meant at source code level not binary.

Yes, API compatibility means source code compatibility. Compiled binaries are calling the OS API nonetheless. Binary compatibility requires API compatibility, whereas API compatibility doesn't require binary compatibility.
  • »11.10.15 - 16:31
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kamelito
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf a écrit :
    > I meant at source code level not binary.

Yes, API compatibility means source code compatibility. Compiled binaries are calling the OS API nonetheless. Binary compatibility requires API compatibility, whereas API compatibility doesn't require binary compatibility.

do you've any link where that direction was announced? Is that during Alchimie 2011? A drastic change would mean to start from scrach why not on the contrary but an emulated development environment would have to be given to developers as soon as possible for them to delivers apps.

Things may have changed since but read Itix post #51 :

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=34607&forum=28&start=40&viewmode=flat&order=0

Kamelito

[ Edité par kamelito 11.10.2015 - 18:43 ]
  • »11.10.15 - 17:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Everblue

Well, he didn't tell me much more but x86/AMD64 seems like a likely bet. And as for time span, best would be not to guess at all.

My MorphOS blog
  • »11.10.15 - 17:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Yes, best not to count on this one occurring too quickly.
    the same people developing it are also still enhancing our current platform.
    How much work can you expect them to do?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »11.10.15 - 18:00
  • ASiegel
    @ Yasu, how was the after show event? :)
  • »11.10.15 - 18:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @ASiegel

I was too tired to really enjoy it :-P The choice of location was odd (very far from the fair) but really nice. Good food, good booze and a lot of drunk Amigans. Oh, and Dave Haynie sung some of his greatest hits :-)

[ Edited by Yasu 11.10.2015 - 20:26 ]

My MorphOS blog
  • »11.10.15 - 19:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > do you've any link where that direction was announced?

Which direction specifically? You mean the API change?

> Things may have changed since but read Itix post #51 :
    > http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=34607&forum=28&start=40&viewmode=flat&order=0

Itix doesn't say that current m68k or PPC binaries will run transparently on MorphOS NG, just that they will continue to run in ABox which will run on MorphOS NG. Transparently running would mean that an m68k or PPC program would be able to use a MorphOS NG library and vice versa.
    He also doesn't say that the source code of current MorphOS programs will be compilable for MorphOS NG without change.
  • »11.10.15 - 21:02
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > do you've any link where that direction was announced?

Which direction specifically? You mean the API change?

> Things may have changed since but read Itix post #51 :
    > http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=34607&forum=28&start=40&viewmode=flat&order=0

Itix doesn't say that current m68k or PPC binaries will run transparently on MorphOS NG, just that they will continue to run in ABox which will run on MorphOS NG. Transparently running would mean that an m68k or PPC program would be able to use a MorphOS NG library and vice versa.
    He also doesn't say that the source code of current MorphOS programs will be compilable for MorphOS NG without change.

Which would mean it would be boxed.
    Not impossible to pass data between both environments, but nothing like transparent.
    It would be a nice feature for X64.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »11.10.15 - 22:13
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

> More RAM available for application i.e. 200MB.

You mean 1.7 GiB instead of 1.5 GiB?

yes.

Unfortunatly no extra 200MB on the Efika. :)

We demoed Pagestream 5, SoundBankster, DigiBooster, Reader, CSVBase and other upcoming stuff at our booth.

The A4000-PPC was running MorphOS 3.8. It would run 3.10 as well, but we did not update in time and updating on the meeting could have caused unforseen problems. Thats why it stayed at 3.8. No risk to keep the fun :D

I personally saw it for the first time and it is quite nice. I personally would have expected it to be much slower, but it was quite useful.

A release is not planned as it may be a support hell not only due the fragile hardware. Also there is no installation support of any kind yet, so you need to be highly experienced with Classic and MorphOS hard and software to deal with it.

Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    Meating the Team was the highlight for me at Neuss. I was more starstruck by them than by R J Mical, Dave Haynie and Petro T :-)

Well, you weren´t alone. When walking around a guy, from accent i think he was from italy, stepped back from a booth turning towards me.

He froze eyes on my name tag: "You are geit!" "Yes!" (I would have said more, but my voice was non existing the hole day, so i saved as much words as i could) "From MorphOS Team"
    Again I answered with a small "Yes" but smiling. We exchanged a few words and i pointed at our booth, were the real awesome people were. He said he circled our booth several times with some distance not being able to walk anywhere near. I guess he was starstruck as hell.

Until then I did not even cross my mind that anyone could see me that way. But after some rethinking it kind of surprised me that people like piru, itix, cisc I was looking up to in my early amiga days, are the same i am working and talking to every day now, which kind of made me part of it.

Even funnier that a few minutes earlier is was thinking "Wow. I just talked to Chris Hülsbeck!" :D
  • »12.10.15 - 11:12
    Kronos
    Quote:

geit wrote:

Even funnier that a few minutes earlier is was thinking "Wow. I just talked to Chris Hülsbeck!" :D

My thoughts were more on the line of:

"Don't get strangeld by Trevordick, don't get used as a seat cushion by bigfoot......."
  • »12.10.15 - 18:09
    tolkien
    A new pagestream 5 version?
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »12.10.15 - 18:47
    Simon
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    @ASiegel

I was too tired to really enjoy it :-P The choice of location was odd (very far from the fair) but really nice. Good food, good booze and a lot of drunk Amigans. Oh, and Dave Haynie sung some of his greatest hits :-)

Me drunk ? Never.
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »12.10.15 - 21:20
    Profile Visit Website