• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Quote:

redrumloa schrieb:
    Quote:

OlafSch wrote:
    I returned 2011 if i remember right but I missed the big war times between Hyperion and MorphOS team. In this sense I am "new" and less affected than others.

I think that's part of the rub here. I don't mean that condescending in any way, it just helps frame things. MorphOS started in 99 and had it's first release in 2000. OS4 (in it's current form started) in 2001 and didn't get a first release until 2004. Ben Hermans pretty much single handedly poisoned the well, and the well still isn't drinkable to this day. Here is a small taste.

http://www.biclodon.com/misc/amigafarm/benhermans/

The Kommunity is a fraction of what it used to be and mostly more silent about things, simply because there are few left with grandiose visions of taking over the world. The memory is still there. It wasn't just Hermans, but the unethical actions of many in the OS4 camp. They love taking open source software, porting and selling for big money (see Quake II, Timberwolf) and fight tooth and nail to release the source back. Then there is the outright piracy of things like MUI and btree.library.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=11342&viewmode=flat&sortorder=0&start=0

Only in OS4 land is it acceptable to take someone work and claim it to be your own. The MorphOS team made it clear how they feel on the subject. Many of the highest profile from the team read and post Morphzone. If they didn't agree with my position, they would quickly correct me with something like "Listen red, you are off base. We have no problem with XYZ. Thanks for the support, but thread closed." I find it amazing anyone would defend unauthorized use of code and even name with MUI4, just because it helps something with Amiga in the name.

I know where the hate comes from but does it help today? Basically you and others say they started. Perhaps that is true but even if what changes it. Since 2011 I was in contact with a number of former amiga developers and I can remember one of them asking if the "red versus blue" war still going on. It certainly did not motivate anyone and propably even cursed some away from the platform and it is not motivating devs to support MorphOS. I do not talk about OS devdelopers but 3rd party devs. Funnily in my view (you can correct me) it seems that AmigaOS has still the most 3rd party support but close to no OS development, MorphOS (the exact opposite) has lots of OS development but not much 3rd party support. So having good relation with AmigaOS users and 3rd party developers would be good for MorphOS. I do not talk about suddenly liking Hyperion or Frieden brothers or Ben H., just good relations to the others.
  • »03.10.15 - 14:20