• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Quote:

connor schrieb:
    @ OlafSch

> you seem to be fixed on "red vs. blue" it seems.

Seems to you but is not the case which you can easily find out because of I already mentioned AROS and use it personally.

> Why noone ever has helped the Aros devs to improve it if MorphOS camp are the good and only the others (OS4 camp) against cooperation.

Why do you throw in “good” for MOS Team and imply that others are not good by doing so? Don’t mix facts with your guesses. Did AROS camp ask MOS Team to open the source to make it available in AROS? Maybe it’s the license that stops this. Maybe it’s because MOS Team does not want to go open source. And maybe it’s the understandable reason to not give away your source code (which took you 20 years to develop) away for free to competing platforms who can make money out of it. That’s up to the author and no one else.

> The truth is that both camps are not really cooperative (except some people like Fab or Stefan Stuntz).

I agree to this although I cannot say about stuntzi. Cooperation could and should be much better between the camps.

> Why having MUI as standard equal on all platforms? Because it would make porting easier,

Everyone knows that and I think everyone agrees on that. Some do it just silently.

> Zune is far behind? Even if for porting exactly which applications needing MUI5? It is getting updated for OWB 1.25 right now, I do not see many more applications needing it. You?

Yes, it is. I’m not only talking about a bare functionality in Zune but also about graphic glitches, redraw problems and other misbehaviours. Many of them are publicly known, so no need to discuss them here. And naming one application for compatibility is a start but not complete.

@ Jim

>> MUI is closed source anyway.

> Is it?

Hint: Answer the counter question: is it open source?

> Were the rights wholly transferred to the MorphOS development team, or does Stefan Stuntz, who Andre once refereed to as "[the]creator of MUI (Magic User Interface)" still retain rights?

Hint: Do rights on code change change its license?

> Obviously Stuntz doesn't object to these new projects.
    Maybe it’s vice versa and he agreed to them because he is the originator of MUI, so he owns all rights to the code.

> Offer to license the code, but hard feeling and hubris may interfere with that.

This was already done.

> OR, let them struggle to finesse it on their own.

Hehe, this was also already done :-)

I mentioned Stefan because i found a text (I think interview) where he said that he was open to make available MUI38 for the other camps but others from MorphOS team saw MUI as a core component and opposed to it. But it is only a guess. Fab always was open. And of course the MorphOS team gave back changes when using Aros sources in MorphOS.

Regarding MUI, I asked one of the MorphOS devs because the software (68k) does not work with Zune, answer was not his problem but problem for the Aros devs. Geit mentioned not supporting other platforms because of this. It is wrong attitude, it might not be a problem when a MorphOS program is not running anywhere else but it is a problem for MorphOS when software from other platforms is not ported to MorphOS because of the mentioned incompatibilities.
  • »02.10.15 - 15:55