Copyright Infringement in the AmigaOS Software Development K
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > But isn't AROS written from scratch? If so it's still not technically based on AOS 3.1.

AROS is based on AmigaOS 3.1 API, but not on AmigaOS 3.1 code :-)
  • »19.09.15 - 13:43
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    But isn't AROS written from scratch? If so it's still not technically based on AOS 3.1.

It is written from scratch.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »19.09.15 - 14:59
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

kamelito wrote:
    @Itix

By from scratch I mean not following an existing design as a blueprint, I'm not talking about reimpleminting an existing API based on existing API specification.

You take a white page and design the all thing, you can of course borrow ideas from others that you know work and build something new for the better, because existing OSes do not satisfy you entirely.

The work done by the Morphos team might be on par or beyond what CBM did but I'm wondering what you think of the work done by only one, read SkyOS, too bad it's not developed anymore (Just read an interview of the author he seems to have earn a lot of money creating games for the Iphone, so who can blame him). At the beginning Atheos now Syllabe was also done by just one man as a AmigaOS successor.

Kamelito

I catch you. You mean using existing API vs desinging new (maybe partially compatible) API from scratch.

Syllable was never meant to be AmigaOS successor. It may have similarities (what similarities?) but it is an OS family its own.
  • »19.09.15 - 15:09
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kamelito
    @Itix
    I remember having read that in an interview of the author (Kurt Skauen)IIRC, check the last entry of the faq.
    I was refering to Atheos not Syllabe which followed it.

https://atheos.syllable.org/faq.php3.html
    Syllabe being an Atheos fork.

Kamelito

[ Edité par kamelito 19.09.2015 - 17:03 ]

[ Edité par kamelito 19.09.2015 - 17:24 ]
  • »19.09.15 - 17:02
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

kamelito wrote:
    @Itix
    I remember having read that in an interview of the author (Kurt Skauen)IIRC, check the last entry of the faq.
    I was refering to Atheos not Syllabe which followed it.

https://atheos.syllable.org/faq.php3.html
    Syllabe being an Atheos fork.

You are correct:

Quote:

Q: The GUI look very Amigaish, is it an AmigaOS clone?
    A: No. In the beginning it was actualy ment to be one, but this days there is nothing resembling the AmigaOS in AtheOS other than the window-borders. This seems to be rather hard for the Amiga-community to grasp though. They still think AtheOS is an Amiga clone :)

• »19.09.15 - 17:53
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    @ Zylesea

Hyperion is the publisher, right?

Another "amusing" thing is going on right now, regarding the old game "Gorky 17":

"... and now you make me totally crazy ;-)
    http://www.hyperion-entertainment.biz/
    Hyperion announced today! the release of Gorky 17 for AmigaOS on their homepage. And they have no license for it."

"First of all you could be a bit more friendly - If I would be blind I could read nothing (but you are right, I am getting old and need glasses) - also not your postings. Gorky 17 is comming for Linux when we have time to port it. And it will be a Wine port. A Linux native port for Linux does not exist as far as we know. And if it exists it is as illegal as the AmigaOS version which Hyperoin is trying to release. The problem with such "companies" is, that on their website is no imprint."

"o.k. LGP's website is offline. Hyperion is releasing an Amiga OS version without any permission. So far I even do not know their address. If we would simply use their versions and release them, be sure they will make us problems. But we have really a problem to find them. And - how shall we support such versions? - A Wine port is better than nothing. We simply try to make old games available to Mac OSX and Linux. New games we compile native, of course."

"If Hyperion wants to release any Gorky 17 title, they need to have an agreement with TopWare Interactive AG (because we own the trademark and all rights to the game title - this is easy to find out at OAMI patent office, patent runs until 2019 and will be extended to 2029). But however, we will try to talk with them. Not all disputes need to end up in a court case. Sometimes there are other solutions."

http://steamcommunity.com/app/253920/discussions/0/520518053453566327/#p1
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »05.10.15 - 20:09
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > "A Linux native port for Linux does not exist as far as we know. And if it exists
    > it is [...] illegal [...]. The problem with such "companies" is, that on their website
    > is no imprint. [...] So far I even do not know their address. [...] But we have really
    > a problem to find them."

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer apparently :-) And he doesn't seem to be aware of the MacOSX and Linux ports released in 2002 and 2006 respectively.
  • »05.10.15 - 23:27
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    Not the sharpest knife in the drawer apparently :-) And he doesn't seem to be aware of the MacOSX and Linux ports released in 2002 and 2006 respectively.

Yup, this whole episode is a bit odd. After reading that Steam thread it will be interesting to hear his reaction after contacting Ben "I am a lawyer" Hermans.

I'll try not to speculate too much, just grab popcorn.
  • »06.10.15 - 00:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Yeah, but it's not impossible (it's rather probable) that after some 10+ years the license has simply expired. And their thread says at least that HE didn't renew it.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »06.10.15 - 10:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    Yeah, but it's not impossible (it's rather probable) that after some 10+ years the license has simply expired. And their thread says at least that HE didn't renew it.

Yep, the entity that once issued Hyperion some kind of license a decade ago does no longer seem to exist, if I read things correctly, and the owner of the entire IP including copyright and trade mark has not granted or approved Hyperion to develop, use or sell anything based on their property. It also seems like Hyperion will sell that IP at a price almost 10x as high than the owners themselves does. Anyway, as they said "Not all disputes need to end up in a court case. Sometimes there are other solutions." So I'll suppose we'll see what happens next, Hyperion/Ben Hermans is known for their flexible ways, respect for other peoples property, and willingness to compromise... ;-)
  • »06.10.15 - 11:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > it's not impossible (it's rather probable) that after some 10+ years the license
    > has simply expired.

This may of course be. But note that Hyperion's license is/was with the developer Metropolis (bought by CD Projekt in 2008), not with the publisher TopWare which has its employees writing in that Steam thread.

http://www.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php/news/37-games/93

> their thread says at least that HE didn't renew it.

Can you quote that statement? The way I read it, TopWare isn't even aware of the old license agreement regarding Linux and AmigaOS ports in the first place, which is somewhat understandable considering it wasn't with them.

Btw, the 2002 Mac port published by e.p.i.c./Runesoft was done by Hyperion as well:

http://anna.amigazeux.org/comments2.php?show=1071783886&number=11#comment
  • »06.10.15 - 11:53
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the entity that once issued Hyperion some kind of license a decade ago does no longer
    > seem to exist

Metropolis was bought by CD Projekt in 2008, so they would be Hyperion's licensor since then, unless the license has expired that is.

> the owner of the entire IP including copyright and trade mark has not granted or
    > approved Hyperion to develop, use or sell anything based on their property.

That's what the publisher says. We haven't heard yet what the developer's legal successor has to say on the topic.

> It also seems like Hyperion will sell that IP

Hyperion has announced to sell copies of a game, not IP.
  • »06.10.15 - 12:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I thought it was the owners writing in the Steam thread. If not, my second assumption is invalid.

My MorphOS blog
  • »06.10.15 - 12:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > "A Linux native port for Linux does not exist as far as we know. And if it exists
    > it is [...] illegal [...]. The problem with such "companies" is, that on their website
    > is no imprint. [...] So far I even do not know their address. [...] But we have really
    > a problem to find them."

Yes, let's not jump on the 'Hyperion is guilty of theft' bandwagon just yet.
    One thing Ben does seem to be knowledgeable in is legal issues.

[ Edited by Jim 06.10.2015 - 07:24 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »06.10.15 - 13:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    I thought it was the owners writing in the Steam thread.

"we own ... all rights to the game title"
  • »06.10.15 - 13:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> note that Hyperion's license is/was with the developer Metropolis (bought by CD Projekt in
    >> 2008), not with the publisher TopWare which has its employees writing in that Steam thread.

> I thought it was the owners writing in the Steam thread.

The publisher claims it owns Gorky 17 lock, stock and barrel. This would mean the developer's legal successor owns nought of it. We don't know whether this is true. And even if it's true (for instance due to the developer having sold all rights to the publisher at one point in the past, but after negotiating the license with Hyperion), this doesn't automatically mean that Hyperion's license is void.
    And I still can't see where the publisher (aka alleged owner) says that Hyperion didn't renew its license, which wouldn't even make sense when they straight out deny there ever was a license granted to Hyperion. How do you renew a non-existing license anyway?
  • »06.10.15 - 13:56
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

The publisher claims it owns Gorky 17 lock, stock and barrel. This would mean the developer's legal successor owns nought of it.

TopWare is not the "legal successor" (whatever you mean by that) you say? Is that something you just invented yourself, som kind of "teh reeel!!1!" ownership as opposed to "normal" ownership? Well, at least *they* feel certain enough about being the legal owners, and since they seem to be one of the companies in the busines of vaccuuming the market for old a-dime-a-bucket crap games like Gorky 17 and port them to modern platforms, I would actually presume they have their paper work in order, since this is a core part of their business.

I guess we will see how this unfolds...

Quote:

We don't know whether this is true.

Exactly.

Quote:

this doesn't automatically mean that Hyperion's license is void.

If Hyperion had a deal concerning this particular IP with an entity that no longer exists or aren't the owners anymore, and the legal owners of the IP is of the opinion that Hyperion has no right to sell products based on their IP, but Hyperion does this anyway, then there is definitely a possibility that this will be tried in court. And in that case, I would bet my money on the IP owner winning...
  • »06.10.15 - 14:33
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    But it does seem like a very odd thing to do from Hyperions side. They may have the code, but since they have a lawyer and everything it seems like step one to check if their license is still valid or not. Game publishers, unlike the tiny NG software market, usually have enough cash to go to court about these kind of things (though the publishers seems to want to make a deal instead).

My MorphOS blog
  • »06.10.15 - 14:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

The publisher claims it owns Gorky 17 lock, stock and barrel. This would mean the developer's legal successor owns nought of it.

TopWare is not the "legal successor" (whatever you mean by that) you say? Is that something you just invented yourself, som kind of "teh reeel!!1!" ownership as opposed to "normal" ownership?

Metropolis is the name of the original developer. They were later bought by CD Projekt before they were shut down. This is whom Andreas_Wolf referred to when he mentioned the "developer".

TopWare is the name of the former publishing partner, who claims to own all rights to the game. Interestingly enough, the original TopWare company went bankrupt. The previous owners then founded the legally distinct company Zuxxez, which bought some IP from the former company and was eventually renamed to TopWare.

Quote:

Well, at least *they* feel certain enough about being the legal owners, and since they seem to be one of the companies in the busines of vaccuuming the market for old a-dime-a-bucket crap games like Gorky 17 and port them to modern platforms, I would actually presume they have their paper work in order, since this is a core part of their business.

Considering they were not even aware that "proper" Linux and Mac ports had existed, I highly doubt that they have their paper work in order regarding Gorky 17. TopWare has shown a staggering level of ignorance regarding the development history of Gorky 17 on the Steam forums.

At this stage, it is anybody's guess who is at fault here. Either way, there is simply not enough information to throw stones at anybody.
  • »06.10.15 - 15:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > TopWare is not the "legal successor" [...] you say?

Yes, TopWare is not the legal successor of Metropolis, the legal entity that Hyperion negotiated the license with. I already provided source for the information on who is the legal successor of Metropolis.
    Metropolis' legal successor sells the game there: http://www.gog.com/game/gorky_17

> whatever you mean by that

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22legal+succession%22

> Is that something you just invented yourself

No, legal succession is an existing juridical concept, also existing in Poland (both Metropolis and CD Projekt were/are Polish companies):

http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukcesja_%28prawo%29

> som kind of "teh reeel!!1!" ownership as opposed to "normal" ownership?

Legal succession is not a kind of ownership but can be the cause for ownership. And ownership can indeed be partial between legal entities.

> I would actually presume they have their paper work in order

They can't even find Hyperion's address on their website, so... ;-)

>> The publisher claims it owns Gorky 17 lock, stock and barrel. This would mean the
    >> developer's legal successor owns nought of it. We don't know whether this is true.

> Exactly.

Indeed :-)

> If Hyperion had a deal concerning this particular IP with an entity that no longer exists

...and got bought by another entity...

> ...or aren't the owners anymore

Then the question would be how they lost (partial) ownership.

> and the legal owners of the IP

Sole owners? (I know they claim it, but this doesn't automatically mean it's true.)

> I would bet my money on the IP owner winning...

...unless Hyperion's license is still valid. Temporally unrestricted licenses or licenses before expiration date do not simply go up in smoke when the licensor is bought by another legal entity.
  • »06.10.15 - 16:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    We shall see how this unfolds...

:-)
  • »06.10.15 - 16:47
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Addendum:

> the 2002 Mac port published by e.p.i.c./Runesoft was done by Hyperion as well:
    > http://anna.amigazeux.org/comments2.php?show=1071783886&number=11#comment

"the development company, which made the native Mac port for Runesoft made some mistakes, which results in errors in the game logic. That's why we decided to make a Wine port and do not use the native port."
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/253920/discussions/0/520518053453566327/#c483366528923895209

;-)
  • »06.10.15 - 16:54
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Addendum:

> If we are to believe Hyperionmp, "Ben Hermans & family" are the sole owners of Hyperion
    > Entertainment CVBA (and thus De Groote and Mincea its 2 non-owning employees). Thing
    > is, a CVBA needs at least 3 shareholders [...] This means the 3 current, publicly known
    > directors may all be shareholders. And as Mincea joined only recently, he may either have
    > replaced a former, unknown shareholder or there may now be at least 4 of them. ...or,
    > Hyperionmp tells the truth and Hyperion Entertainment CVBA is owned by Ben Hermans
    > and 2 or more members of his family.

Thomas "Thor" Richter claims Hermans is not an owner of Hyperion any longer:

http://www.a1k.org/forum/showpost.php?p=947013 (German, sorry)

Unfortunately, he doesn't provide any evidence for his claim.
  • »28.05.16 - 20:21
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Unfortunately, he doesn't provide any evidence for his claim.

Still listed as a manager / administrator: Belgian Company Registy
  • »28.05.16 - 20:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Still listed as a manager / administrator

As far as I can see, these are the director positions, not necessarily the owners/shareholders. These two don't have to occur in personal union (and according to Hermans they don't in case of De Groote at least). "Director" can also be an employed position.
  • »28.05.16 - 21:19