AmiWest 2015
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I have just sent in my request to reserve a display table for MorphOS at this year's AmiWest Show.

Any of you who live within the USA, Canada, or Mexico, or users/developers who are planning on visiting the USA during the month of October, I hope you will make plans to attend this show. Interest in MorphOS has been steadily growing at this event.

This year I will have a new poster/banner for the front of the table (thanks to ASiegle for providing access to the artwork) and I will again use my 37-inch LCD TV w/G5 PowerMac & 17-inch PowerBook to display MorphOS3.9.

Any requests or suggestions on what applications, or games to demonstrate during the show will be appreciated.

Hope to see some of you there.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »30.08.15 - 21:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I have come to an agreement with Acill to purchase his G4 iBook and will be donating it to be raffled off at the 2015 AmiWest Show next month. If you want a chance to get a MorphOS compatible laptop with built-in WiFi, 1.5gb RAM, in excellent condition for only the price of buying a raffle ticket, please make your way to the 2015 AmiWest Show.

It would be great if we could begin increasing the number of MorphOS users at this annual event. The more MorphOS users who attend AmiWest, the greater the chances we can convince more users to buy and use MorphOS in the future.

My thinking is that if you show someone the advantages of MorphOS enough times, they will eventually see the light and become a user and fan of MorphOS, just like the rest of us who frequent here every day.

Hope to see more of you at the show this year (those who live within a reasonable distance to it anyway).
  • »07.09.15 - 19:58
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    This is a great machine and is the last iBook G4 made. It runs MOS amazingly well. I would have kept it for my own use but located a Powerbook for less than it cost to try to repair my Powermac and dont need two laptops.

I just wish I was able to attend the show myself to see who gets it! Sadly I had last minute personal issues come up that prevent me from being able to make it again this year.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »08.09.15 - 19:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Doffo
    Only suggestion I have is to maybe have a G4 MDD setup as well. Think that 30th Amiga Anniversary I seen that the G5 crashed when Moya Jackie was trying it out. Is your G5 a LCS? Maybe its slowly failing and caused it issues. Then again it could of been other things.
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »08.09.15 - 21:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Doffo wrote:
    Only suggestion I have is to maybe have a G4 MDD setup as well. Think that 30th Amiga Anniversary I seen that the G5 crashed when Moya Jackie was trying it out. Is your G5 a LCS? Maybe its slowly failing and caused it issues. Then again it could of been other things.

Yes, my G5 PowerMac is a Liquid Cooled system, it is the dual 2.7GHz G5 (the fastest available for running MorphOS). I think the problem might be due to the re-flashed R420 FireGL X3 video card, not the G5 itself, as I have already gone through the cooling system and made sure it is not leaking. When I first got the system, it had lots of corrosion around the heat sinks, where it was apparently leaking tiny amounts of coolant, which were building up crystalline structures, like something you would find in a cave. I doubt very much that it is leaking again so soon after I resealed all parts of the liquid cooling system (but I will double check).

I am hunting for a different video card, a genuine Apple branded one that hopefully will cure my intermittent problems of the system freezing up, or failing to boot.

Other than using it to demonstrate MorphOS3.9 at the Amiga30 and AmiWest shows, I usually run MacOSX 10.5.8 on the G5 PowerMac, as I have 3 other registered MorphOS systems to use for running MorphOS and Amiga software, including an over-clocked 1.25GHz G4 PowerMac that now runs at slightly over 1.5GHz, a 1.5GHz G4 MacMini, and my 17-inch 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook.

I'll try to make sure the G5 PowerMac does not crash during the AmiWest Show, but if it is not the video card causing the problem, it may take more time to determine where the problem is coming from.
  • »09.09.15 - 05:25
    Doffo
    All good. I should of asked for some g5 ati agp video cards while I was at RE PC in Seattle. Eventually ill have to get back on the g5 side of things. Only registered machine is my G4 MDD.
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »09.09.15 - 07:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Doffo wrote:
    All good. I should of asked for some g5 ati agp video cards while I was at RE PC in Seattle. Eventually ill have to get back on the g5 side of things. Only registered machine is my G4 MDD.

The MDD is a very nice system. That is the model of G4 PowerMac that I have downgraded from the dual 1.42GHz G4's to a single 1.25GHz G4 which I have over-clocked to about 1.5GHz. I like the space for 4 internal 3.5" hdd's inside the case, plus two 5.25" optical drives, or if you like, you can replace one of the 5.25" optical drives with a 3.5" ZIP drive, like I have done on my MDD.

It is a very unique case design that I like much better than the G5 PowerMac tower.
  • »09.09.15 - 08:50
    Doffo
    The 1.25ghz overclocked to 1.5ghz runs great. Least so it runs cooler overall. Only thing i did was change out the big cpu fan.
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »09.09.15 - 16:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Doffo wrote:
    The 1.25ghz overclocked to 1.5ghz runs great. Least so it runs cooler overall. Only thing i did was change out the big cpu fan.

Exactly! Do you have a G4 PowerMac that you have done this mod on (I know I have read about 1 or 2 other users doing this mod and using the single 1.25GHz G4 over-clocked to 1.5GHz, instead of a dual G4 CPU module, but I don't remember who had written that earlier forum message), and if yes, have you done any temperature recording and testing to show how much difference in heat production there is from the single over clocked 1.25GHz G4 running at ~1.5GHz, compared to the dual 1.42GHz G4 CPU module? Also, if yes, which heat sink did you use, and have you modified, or replaced any of the G4 PowerMac cooling fans to reduce the amount of noise your G4 PowerMac makes? I replaced the main CPU cooling fan in my MDD with a quieter fan, which has made a huge difference in the amount of noise my G4 MDD system makes while running MorphOS.

My MDD with the single 1.25GHz G4 running at ~1.5GHz has a problem that is preventing me from being able to upgrade to MorphOS3.9, which I have not yet resolved. It refuses to boot from a known working MorphOS3.9 install CD, and freezes up when trying to run the installation utility when booted from a MorphOS3.9 USB memory stick. I'll try again to upgrade to MorphOS3.9, instead of the MorphOS3.6 that system currently has working on it, but it is a low priority, since I have other registered MorphOS3.9 systems to use as display computers at the next AmiWest Show, and future events.
  • »11.09.15 - 18:18
    Doffo
    Sorry for the late response,

I only changed out the big clunky fan for some 120mm fan off a pc.

Yes, i did the mod on the single 1.25ghz to 1.5ghz. Believe someone else tried the mod and it didnt work out for them. I used the copper heatsink. The temperature literally dropped a great margin running the single cpu vs the dual cpu card. In my opinion even the aluminum heatsink should yield good results.

I got two spare single 1.25ghz cards along with a few 1.42ghz cards. I will get you temperature readings once i got my MDD back up and running.
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »13.09.15 - 02:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Doffo wrote:
    Sorry for the late response,

I only changed out the big clunky fan for some 120mm fan off a pc.

Yes, i did the mod on the single 1.25ghz to 1.5ghz. Believe someone else tried the mod and it didnt work out for them. I used the copper heatsink. The temperature literally dropped a great margin running the single cpu vs the dual cpu card. In my opinion even the aluminum heatsink should yield good results.

I got two spare single 1.25ghz cards along with a few 1.42ghz cards. I will get you temperature readings once i got my MDD back up and running.

IMO, the MDD G4 PowerMac with a single 1.25GHz G4 CPU module over-clocked to 1.5GHz, is one of the best choices for running MorphOS3.9.

More PCI slots than the G5 PowerMac (in case you want to use a soundcard + Catweasel + SCSI controller card + some other PCI card, or any other combination of PCI cards)

More interior 3.5-inch hdd bays than the G5 PowerMac (not a huge benefit)

Room for two 5.25-inch optical drives, or with the adapter cage and optional MDD face plate from Apple, one 5.25-inch optical and a 3.5-inch ZIP drive, instead of the G5 PowerMac's single 5.25-inch optical drive bay. (having two optical drives is sometimes convenient)

Easier to replace the main cooling fan(s) to make it quieter, than the custom fans of the G5 PowerMac (IMO, very important for any G4 or G5 tower)

Smaller, lighter case design and uses less electricity than the G5 PowerMac models. (not much smaller or lighter, but it is a bit better it both those departments, if it matters to you though, you are better off with a PowerBook or MacMini)

Able to use faster video cards with more VRAM than the G4 PowerBook, G4 iBook, G4 eMac & G4 MacMini's. (even video cards designed for the G5 can usually be used in the 4x AGP slot of the MDD, if you tape two of the pins on the AGP connector)

Also, the G4 (and G3 before them) PowerMac's have one of the most unique case designs ever created, which makes them easy to work on, IMO.

Every time I think of selling or donating my G4 MDD to some deserving programmer, I change my mind and keep it, because I think of all these features it has that I like so much.

In it's current state with no kind of SMP/AMP, the over-clocked single G4 in the MDD PowerMac case can do almost everything that the faster G5 PowerMac's can do, with the exception of running high resolution video at the same framerates.

[ Edited by amigadave 12.09.2015 - 20:32 ]
  • »13.09.15 - 05:25
    Doffo
    Agreed. I still got the g5 setups but kept the g4 mdd. I have two spare towers as well as spare logic boards. Only thing i may need to fix up is getting a better video card. Only have the stock 9000 running.

Back in topic, hope Amiwest goes good for you. :)
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »13.09.15 - 17:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Doffo wrote:
    Agreed. I still got the g5 setups but kept the g4 mdd. I have two spare towers as well as spare logic boards. Only thing i may need to fix up is getting a better video card. Only have the stock 9000 running.

At one ime I had a FireGL X3 running in an MDD, but that is not a configuration I would recommend.
    A Radeon 9800 or 9600 makes a good match though.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »13.09.15 - 17:35
    Doffo
    I will have to get out the 9800 I did flash to see if it still troublesome. But would be better to somehow obtain an actual 9800 Mac edition.
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »13.09.15 - 21:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Doffo wrote:

At one ime I had a FireGL X3 running in an MDD, but that is not a configuration I would recommend.
    A Radeon 9800 or 9600 makes a good match though.

Jim, I want to pay you for the FireGL X3 you sent to me, since you never agreed to take the G5 in exchange (which worked out better, as it was not worth the shipping cost to send it to you).

IIRC, I have a Mac edition Radeon 8500 currently installed in my MDD, or a 9000Pro. I think both cards are comparable, as the 8500 was one of the fastest Radeon cards of it's time. I believe that both the 8500 and 9000 are faster/better than low end 9250's, but a 9700, or 9800 would probably be the better choice for the MDD G4 PowerMac, so I may try to find one. I bought an "All-in-Wonder" 9700 a couple of years ago, but it is a PC version, not a Mac model, so it would need to be re-flashed to be used for MorphOS in my MDD, and I doubt the TV input/output part of the card would be compatible with either MorphOS, or MacOSX. I don't know much about the 9600, but had read that the 9650 that Apple put into some G5 PowerMac's was not a good card, but don't remember the reasons given in the review of the 9650 for why it was less desirable.

Back to the topic of AmiWest 2015, I have obtained permission to make some MorphOS t-shirts using the official logo to sell at the show, so I ordered 20 embroidered shirts this morning. I will also be donating Acill's 1.42GHz iBook to be raffled off during the show, so someone is going to walk away with a great MorphOS laptop before the weekend is over.

If there are any of the embroidered t-shirts left over after the AmiWest show, I will sell them to anyone here who wants one, or keep them to try to sell at next year's AmiWest show. The price for the heavy weight t-shirt with the embroidered logo will be $15, which barely covers my costs to have them made and shipped to me before the show begins. I opted for an embroidered shirt, instead of the usual printed t-shirt, to show something of better quality, as a sign of what users can expect from being involved with MorphOS. I will probably donate one of the shirts as a 2nd raffle prize, in addition to the iBook, which will probably be the best prize in the raffle, unless A-Eon, and/or AmigaKit donate some other more valuable item(s) to be prizes for the raffle drawings that occur randomly throughout the show dates.

With these decisions made, the shirts ordered, a new table banner made with the poster art provided by Andre Siegel of these forums and Paul Rezendes (aka Acill) just confirming that he has purchased plane tickets to attend the show, this year's AmiWest show will be the best one for MorphOS, since I began displaying it several years ago.

I am excited about the improved appearance and promotion that I can provide this year, as it is appropriate to make it special to honor the 30th anniversary of the Amiga. I would still appreciate any suggestions from any of you regarding what software and/or games should be demonstrated during the show at the MorphOS display table. As stated previously, I will have my G5 PowerMac connected to a 37-inch LCD TV/monitor, as well as my 17-inch PowerBook, and possibly one more MorphOS system, if space permits on the display table, which would be my 1.5GHz G4 MacMini, or over-clocked PowerMac.

Perhaps I will even make the time to print up the 8-1/2" x 11" flyers with information quoted from the official MorphOS Team website on them, as well as links for many of the MorphOS centered websites which offer downloads for compatible software, or offer help to new users, like this site. I had wanted to provide such flyers for the Amiga30 event, but did not get them designed and printed in time.

[ Edited by amigadave 13.09.2015 - 14:12 ]
  • »13.09.15 - 23:08
    Doffo
    I got around to finally installing MOS 3.9. Did it just great. I ran into an issue but turns out I had an old 3.6 install of MOS that somehow would boot into that instead of 3.9.

As far as temperatures, starting from 28c or so, it clims up and stays at 41.5c. It can honestly probably cool a ton better. I have two hard drives in which themselves can create a lot of heat stacked. Also the Radeon being next to it makes a good amount of heat along with the PSU, so hovering around 41c isnt all too bad.

Has to be much cooler than dual 1.42ghz running.
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »14.09.15 - 04:42
    Profile Visit Website
    Doffo
    Just had a good run on Voxelbird. Even after a 10 minute run with the CPU maxing out, it is at a steady 42c.
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »14.09.15 - 06:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I plan to pull out some parts of my MDD machine and bring it to the show. The video card is one of the better ones. I believe its a 256MB as well. Its from my old G5 and I had to table one of the leads on the edge to turn off a mode to make it work.

Its an amazing card though and has never given any trouble. I want to bring the entire tower, but since I reported it as a dead machine it wont be able to get back on MOS in the future. The logic board is the trouble with it so a replacement one will allow it I guess. I just hate tossing out this machine if I dont have to.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »14.09.15 - 17:41
    Profile Visit Website
    Doffo
    Ahhh, the G4 was reported dead or the G5 you pulled the video card from?
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »14.09.15 - 18:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

Doffo wrote:
    Ahhh, the G4 was reported dead or the G5 you pulled the video card from?

The G4 MDD, the G5 machine was gone long before MOS would run on it. I saved the video card and a few other things is all.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »14.09.15 - 19:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    I plan to pull out some parts of my MDD machine and bring it to the show. The video card is one of the better ones. I believe its a 256MB as well. Its from my old G5 and I had to table one of the leads on the edge to turn off a mode to make it work.

Its an amazing card though and has never given any trouble. I want to bring the entire tower, but since I reported it as a dead machine it wont be able to get back on MOS in the future. The logic board is the trouble with it so a replacement one will allow it I guess. I just hate tossing out this machine if I dont have to.

Depending on which video card it is that you are bringing to the show, and how well it runs in my own MDD G4 PowerMac, I might want to buy it from you.

Really glad you could work it out so you could attend this year's AmiWest show. It will be great to have help answering questions and demonstrating some MorphOS software to the many people who show up each year and show an interest in learning more about MorphOS.
  • »14.09.15 - 19:45
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pan1k
    I wish I could go AmigaDave. I've now got lots of experiance using MorphOS, pretty much everyday for the past few years. I've got working EUAE, plenty of games and workbench apps. I've come a long way since my Efika in 2008. I belive Morph OS is the best NG Amiga OS. What the MorphOS Devs do is incredible, and I'm glad I drank the kool-aid! :) Best of luck to you at AmiWest.
    MacMini 1.5Ghz / Amiga 4000T Cyberstorm 060, 132MB RAM, Cybervision 64/3D, XSurf-III, MP3@64, Buddha Flash / Amiga 1200 GVP 030, Subway USB, 32MB RAM
  • »19.09.15 - 14:18
    tolkien
    Interesting thread.
    I have a powermac g5 liquid system with its CPU burned!
    What is the best choice to replace it?
    Can I put only a CPU? Can I use a air cooled CPU? It needs to be the same clock frenquency?
    Sorry for the off-topic.

Thanks mates.
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »19.09.15 - 15:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

pan1k wrote:
    I wish I could go AmigaDave. I've now got lots of experiance using MorphOS, pretty much everyday for the past few years. I've got working EUAE, plenty of games and workbench apps. I've come a long way since my Efika in 2008. I belive Morph OS is the best NG Amiga OS. What the MorphOS Devs do is incredible, and I'm glad I drank the kool-aid! :) Best of luck to you at AmiWest.

What is preventing you from attending the 2015 AmiWest Show? Is it the cost of gasoline and hotel room, plus meals, or is it because you can't take the time away from other commitments to attend the show?

I might still have you confused with a different Chris who lives (or used to live) in Orange County, Southern Calif., but no matter which Chris you are, it would be great if you could make it to the show. I would like it very much if we could begin to have more of a presence of MorphOS users and developers/programmers attending AmiWest Show each year. It would not be too hard to shift the (inaccurate) impression that most people have, that AmiWest is an AmigaOS4.x centered show, that favors only that platform, and is in any way hostile toward MorphOS and AROS users/programmers. For the past approximately 10 years that I have been attending AmiWest, I have never had any negative feedback or comments from any of the show organizers, or attendees regarding my preference for using and promoting MorphOS. Everyone has been extremely friendly and helpful.

If it is the cost of the hotel room which is stopping you from attending, I am sure we can find someone who has a room that can be changed from one bed to two, so you could save half the room cost, or you could stay in my room with me and Paul (aka Acill), and I could put the memory foam mattress, that I take everywhere with me because of my bad back, on the floor, so you could have my bed.

AmiWest is a great place to spend a few days with other Amiga users and hear about the latest news from all 4 of the existing Amiga inspired platforms. Hopefully, Trevor of A-Eon will be demonstrating MorphOS running on his, or one of the Beta Tester's X5000 systems.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help make it possible for you to attend the show. Also, let me know if you are Chris Chapman, or the other Chris who I have not yet met in person.
  • »28.09.15 - 19:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

tolkien wrote:
    Interesting thread.
    I have a powermac g5 liquid system with its CPU burned!
    What is the best choice to replace it?
    Can I put only a CPU? Can I use a air cooled CPU? It needs to be the same clock frenquency?
    Sorry for the off-topic.

Thanks mates.

It depends on how much and what kind of damage your G5 has. If the coolant leaked so much that the CPU burned up because of the lack of coolant circulating
  • »28.09.15 - 19:26