• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    And w/o a clear break this will not change.
    If MorphOS stays on 32Bit ppc it will slowly fade away (gosh, my 1GB runs out of mem pretty quick, even on my 1.5GB Powerbook I have to keep an eye on the RAM, and the cpu is pretty often at 100%, the machines are aging!), if it goes x64 with SMP, full resource tracking and 64Bit support it at east has a chance to survive and gain new users.
    And coming back to the thread title how to gain more developers: It's about good dev tools. One of most critical tools is the actual host system. It must be available, powerful and should not be overprices. These criteria are best met with x64, ARM coming second. PPC is a dead horse. Sad but true, could be different though if someone invests some _serious_ money - any volunteers? No? Then accept reality.

Not much has changed since I wrote my transition ideas on http://via.i-networx.de/q86.htm and these idea were neither actually new nor revolutionary when i wrote that. And meanwhile about 4 more years have passed. We still have a little time with the old Apple kit, but the world is not waiting, it's continuously spinning.

If the right development tools can be ported to an x64 version of MorphOS, so that it is at least as easy to create new content for such MorphOS as it is to create new programs for Linux, MacOSX, or Windows platforms, then MorphOS will have a chance of increasing it's user base and gaining more programmers. I was just trying to point out that having an x64 version of MorphOS without any software to run, will be just like having AROS, and it's limited amount of compatible software.

I am not trying to discourage the move to x64, or ARM, I am just wondering if personally I might not be better off going back to 68k for fun, and using Linux, or MacOSX for all serious computing needs. I would be very happy to be proved wrong and find that some day a few years from now, I could ditch my Windows, Linux & MacOSX installations, and use x64 MorphOS full time for all of my computing needs.

I am just a bit pessimistic that such a future will happen, due to the lack of man power to accomplish all of the work needed to complete such a shift for MorphOS. I hope to be proved wrong.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »23.08.15 - 03:05