• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Any transition to x64, or ARM will be extremely difficult and may not survive beyond just a proof of concept. It will all depend on how many applications, utilities and games get ported to the new OS and how quickly developers adopt the switch. Having better tools to develop with on the new OS will be critical to convincing programmers to create new software, or port existing software to this NG MorphOS on x64, or ARM.

Do we automatically gain better development tools by switching to x64? I don't think so, but maybe it will be easier to adapt some set of existing development tools already in use for Windows, Mac (I doubt it), or Linux (more likely, but still doubtful).

How many users and programmers will choose to remain on the PPC version of MorphOS, further fracturing our tiny community?

Edit: I am already leaning toward going back to 68k software on a very fast FPGA clone of the original Amiga computers. Since none of the NG Amiga inspired platforms are ever going to catch up with mainstream OSes, all of them will remain frozen in a "Hobby" status, IMO. Since they will be nothing more than a hobby, why not just use and develop 68k software on a really fast 68k FPGA system? Many users consider coding for 68k to be easier, or what they already know from the past. Of course this option will not be appealing to the more advanced programmers who are well past and over coding for a discontinued processor, but for some of us, coding for the Motorola 68k Amiga platform is still a perfect hobby target (and so much more interesting when it can run fast enough to compete with slow PPC processors).

[ Edited by amigadave 22.08.2015 - 09:26 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »22.08.15 - 17:03