• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

Disadvantages?
    Like compatibility with my current hardware, the possibility of boxing in legacy apps, etc?
    Those "disadvantages"?

After the legacy cord has been cut, legacy apps will either face to be boxed-in or ported. This no matter if it's PPC or x86, the "only" difference being that the advantage upside for x86 is huge, and the advantages speaking for PPC is, what... that you already have a machine? Same for addressable memory, a feature like virtual memory makes so much more sense in a 64-bit memory space than a 32-bit, and the only thing speaking in favor would again be that you already have a 32-bit machine? And that was just the addressable memory space of it, then we have the rest of the 64-bit computing benefits...

Quote:

Yes, as I have said before, even if we fork a branch to X64, I like to see the developers consider those advantages in the PPC version.

A fork instead of a migration is perhaps plausible... But wouldn't the strengths of the PPC line be exactly the "legacy cord", the point in using it. The Amiga3.1 environment, API, endianness etc. Highest possible compatibility always being a priority. The possibility to run the Amiga legacy stuff native on MorphOS mixed with todays PPC MorphOS apps. Add SMP, 64-bit etc to this, and you will have destroyed this benefit and turned the PPC fork into a cripled wannabe of the so much better x86 fork, no x86 advantages and no "legacy" advantage either. Better let the PPC fork be untouched from "new stuff" IMHO, solid legacy support is what that fork is and will be about.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »21.08.15 - 23:12