• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Thanks for the report, Dave. I hope someone will post photos of your table set up.

I'll try to get some posted soon, but it might be a few days before I can do so. The show is over now, and my car is so full, packed all the way to the ceiling that it has become a 1 passenger car and I can barely see my right side mirror over the boxes, forget about seeing out the back of the car with the rear view mirror.

I am exhausted and very sore, but the work is still not done. Tomorrow morning I must return to Dale Luck's house to help unload the huge trailer and U-Haul rental truck that were used to transport everything to the museum.

The show was a huge success, and all of the engineers, programmers, and business types who made the original Amiga come to life 30 years ago, were genuinely thankful and very appreciative for all the effort and care that went into making this event happen. Most of them had not seen each other for over 20 years, so it was like a big reunion for them to get together and share old stories of the good times they had at Hi-Toro, and later at Amiga and then Commodore.

I was extremely pleased to see that Moya Jackie, better known as "Cammy" on many Amiga forum sites, was able to attend with her friend Adam(?) aka Rebel, who flew all the way from Australia to attend this special "once-in-a-lifetime" event. Cammy showed up in full costume, to the delight of many other show attendees and organizers. Many other people came from as far away as Italy and many other countries. The widows of Amiga employees who had passed away came to honor their late husbands, saying that they would not have missed this show for the world.

That banquet dinner that I wrote about in my previous message might not have been quite as "Good" as I had thought, as I found myself waking up at 3am in a terrible state which lasted for several hours. I have no idea what caused that condition, but maybe my particular piece of chicken was under-cooked, I'll never know. Anyway, after a late start this morning due to my lack of sleep and severe cramps and discomfort, I finally made my way to the show floor again around Noon, but I had texted one of the other organizers of the show and asked them to turn on all of my systems before the show started.

I don't know how many people attended before noon, but the afternoon attendance was probably only half of what we had seen on Saturday. Still a good amount of people, but not the crowd we had the previous day, which is understandable for people who are not active members of the Amiga scene these days.

In my haste to pack for this event, I somehow forgot my charger for my digital camera, so I was only able to take a few pictures before it ran low on power and turned itself off. I took several cell phone pictures today, but I am hoping that other people will post much better pictures than the ones I have. We will see, if none are posted within the next few days, I will post mine.

Getting back to my earlier statement that I would not be able to post pictures soon because there is still work to do, tomorrow will probably be several hours of unpacking and sorting boxes and items at Dale Luck's house, then time for good-bye's and I will be driving the 5 to 6 hours to get home, where I will collapse for at least a day and then unpack my car.

FYI, Jeri Elsworth had a table and was demonstrating the CastVR system and glases. FriendUP guys were there, and sponsored part of the show, which was greatly appreciated, as the museum space rental was very expensive. Someone named Aaron brought a truck load of Amiga gear to sell during the show, and seemed to be doing well for a while, but in the end I doubt he sold 1/4 of what he had brought with him. I bought some old magazines, a few CD's, a 23pin to 15pin video adapter, and a pair of digital video cameras that I will use with my Amiga Video Toaster/Flyer system as studio camera inputs on the switcher.

The G5 worked well most of the time and looked great hooked up to the 37" TV LCD I had brought to use on the dedicated MorphOS table. I tried to get a new poster made before and during the show, but it didn't happen. The guy making the posters said he would still make me one free or at a low cost of just the paper and a few dollars for the ink used to make it, so I would have a new poster for the next AmiWest show, but I won't count on it until I see it completed and in my hands. Sorry that the MorphOS display table did not look better, or more professional, but at least there was a MorphOS table at the show, and many people did come by and look at it. There were also 2 MorphOS systems on display on the "History Tables" (a MacMini and my over-clocked G4 PowerMac tower) which were arranged in a long rectangle with the beginning displaying the A1000 and models of the Amiga and other Amiga-Like systems progressing chronologically around the rectangle and ending up with an X5000 system. I could not find my Efika and may have lost it, if I don't find it tomorrow at Dale Luck's house.

Occasionally, the G5 would not boot, or would freeze halfway through the booting process, but most of the time it and the G4 PowerBook worked great. The AirPort card in the PowerBook found and connected to the museum's wireless network with no problems, so it was able to run OWB for anyone wanting to try it out.

That is all to report, though I am sure I have left out a great deal. The show was so huge and so much was always happening throughout both days, it is too much to tell in a forum message. Other's will add to what I have written, and I will add more later, but now it is time for sleep.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »27.07.15 - 07:26