Wifi still freezes Powerbook
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    So, that is what I am trying to get at - weak signal from only a short distance away - it needs fixing. It's all very well supporting the hardware - as long as you are virtually sitting on the wireless router, but the idea of being wireless is that you can be in a remote (some noticebale distance away) from the wireless system, and yet still be able to use it.

I appreciate the wireless card is supported - but only if you sit virtually right next to it at MorphOS's current level of development for the Airport card hardware.

So, and not surprisingly, I wanted to know if further investigation, and development is on the horizon for the built-in Airport cards in the Apple hardware that MorphOS supports, such as the Mac Mini and Powerbooks, as the position that currently exists seems, to me, to offer poor useability, rather than get it working as sensitively as Apple managed to do.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »22.05.15 - 00:08
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    metatron
    I think I will open a support ticket at the morphos team. Maybe they can help.
  • »22.05.15 - 06:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    You can do that. But I was one of the beta-testers for Airport and that problem occurs from the first minute - the MOS-Team knows about that....unfortunately there was no way found to eliminate this problem till yet (afaik).....
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »22.05.15 - 16:23
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Apple introduced dozens of silent revisions without telling the users, who had
    > to buy blind faith what they believe being te same solid Apple piece of hardware.
    > Apple policy as usual.

What you forgot to mention is that Apple catered for these "silent revisions" by supporting them with the drivers contained in their accompanying operating system so that the user couldn't care less.

None denies that... They are sure advantaged over Windows as they are the maker of both hardware and Operating System, so they know any eventual modifies they introduced.

What puzzles me is if they buy enormous batches of chips at minor prices of the market, so they introduced hardware changes anytime it changes market situation (that's mean Apple change hardware not due to performances but just to contain prices), or if they are perpetually unsatisfied right with performances and continuously experimenting and changing chips over chips (like broadcomm wifi 2,4 GHz expanded to suppoert 5 Ghz radio frequencies or ATI over nVdia graphic cards and viceversa, depending upon the reliability of newer chipsets while continuing offering same screen resolutions into same family of computer models).
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »23.05.15 - 09:56
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> Apple introduced dozens of silent revisions without telling the users, who had
    >>> to buy blind faith what they believe being te same solid Apple piece of hardware.
    >>> Apple policy as usual.

>> What you forgot to mention is that Apple catered for these "silent revisions"
    >> by supporting them with the drivers contained in their accompanying operating
    >> system so that the user couldn't care less.

> None denies that...

It's the "blind faith" part of your statement that doesn't appear appropriate when Apple has always sold properly working complete solutions.
  • »25.05.15 - 23:24
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    metatron
    Still no answer from MorphOS Support Team.
  • »26.05.15 - 19:14
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    I've sent a Fritz!Box to the MorphOS Team to check the WDS/Repeater freeze issue on MorphOS. Maybe there's going to be some fix in the 3.9 release.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »26.05.15 - 20:51
    boot_wb
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    @newsense:
    We have both the same PB (-> 5,8)! I see no reason why it should'nt work on your PB.....
    The problems, which are discussed here, affects other versions of PB (5.9, 5.3).

Powerbook 5,8 here.

Seemed to have no problem with 3,7 nor after upgrading to 3,8... until I made changes to the network settings under 3,8.
    After altering network settings, i'm having a lot of trouble connecting to the network, either using dhcp or manual configuration.

Caveat: have only had this Powerbook a couple of weeks so could just be coincidental.
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »27.05.15 - 13:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Until I hear back from others about the issues/lockups related to the MOS v3.8 updates being fixed I am unlikely to install v3.8 at this stage, as it seems to be more problematic than usual, or even any release previously it seems, AFAIK.

I'd also really like to hear that the signal strength/acquisition will be possible to optimise, so that you don't have to sit too close to a wireless router to be able to use the Wi-Fi built into the Powerbook, which seems to be something the developers were already aware of, but seems never bothered to mention to the users, at least I never heard about it, until Amigaharry2 mentioned he was aware of it, when he had done some Beta-testing on the WiFi hardware prior to the feature being released.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »27.05.15 - 23:48
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    metatron
    I ordered some more Wifi modules for my PB5.9. Two pieces of 631-0123 and two pieces of 631-0061.
    All of them are working flawlessly under OSX.
    All of them freeze my MorphOS 3.8.

Furthermore I tried some COTS Wifi Router:
    TP-Link TL-WR2543N and D-Link DIR-825.
    No chance getting wifi working with them.

And still no answer from MorphOS Support Team. Not even a confirmation of my support request.

Very disappointing. :( :( :(
  • »09.06.15 - 17:31
    Cego
    WiFi freezes should be gone with the next release. At least the devs found a bug in the atheros and airport driver after i sent my router to them for tests.

the only thing that bugs me is the bad signal issue. the router is like 1 meter away i only have 3 instead of 4 bars in the wifi sbar.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »09.06.15 - 23:02
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    That's exactly what I mean, if there is wireless support then it should work at the same remote distances that it works with Mac OSX, and not sat right next to the wireless router - when you might as well just use the ethernet lead, and have a long 15 or 20 metre, or even longer lead.

The point to make is that wireless should mean within the normal expected, and specified range of the wireless signal of the hardware, otherwise it's not really wireless ... it's pointless !! :-(
  • »10.06.15 - 01:25
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Did you try a different wifi channel on your router? This range issue is definitely not a generic problem as I have no problem with signal strength from anywhere in my flat
  • »10.06.15 - 15:28
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Which channel are you using successfully?

Having said that, surely this should not be an issue, to have to select/use a specific channel to be able to get good Wi-Fi reception, should it really?
  • »11.06.15 - 03:30
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > surely this should not be an issue, to have to select/use a specific
    > channel to be able to get good Wi-Fi reception, should it really?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi#Wi-Fi_radio_spectrum
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#Interference_concerns
  • »11.06.15 - 08:16
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    metatron
    My freezing problem has been solved with the upgrade from 3.8 to 3.9.

Many thx to the MorphOS Support/Developer Team!
  • »19.06.15 - 18:01