MorphOS 3.8, First Impressions, pros, cons, bugs
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    eliot
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    After reading about all kinds of weird problems and troubles with this release, I think I'm going to wait for the 3.9 bugfix release...

You dont have to wait. Just burn the CD, boot and give it try.
    Before upgrading, you can copy your old system where ever you want.
    3.8 is great, stable and really fast!

[ Edited by eliot 17.05.2015 - 13:29 ]
    regards
    eliot
  • »17.05.15 - 14:23
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    diezi7
    Quote:

You dont have to wait. Just burn the CD, boot and give it try.
    Before upgrading, you can copy your old system where ever you want.
    3.8 is great, stable and really fast!

Lucky You MAn !! ;-D

Unfortunately, such is not my case.

Installed 3.8, OWB hangs the system on closing or browing.
    After trying to activate Enhaced Display,
    systems freezes when exiting MorphOS prefs. There's no way to use screens other than Ambient.

I tried to recover my previous settings (3.7) from MorphOS backup, now, I can't see any screen bar module, nor even
    the gadget to access their settings.

I wonder if it's a good idea to install it again and have a fresh 3.8.

[ Edited by ASiegel 17.05.2015 - 16:31 ]
    PowerMac G4 MDD 1,25 dual (Registered)
    Pegasos II G4 (not working)
    Powerbook G4 1.0 15"
    -=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=
    http://amigalandia.blogspot.com.es/
  • »17.05.15 - 14:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

Lord76 wrote:
    I have the same Problem on my Powerbook G4 A1138 and on G5 -A1047, Bootloop every Time!
    Copy boot.img to Boot Partition solves this Problem. Thank You

Just make sure that you boot from CD holding an ALT and choosing MorphOS icon, don't press C while booting as this might load old boot.img and cause the problems.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »17.05.15 - 16:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Condor
    Prefs/IControl/ScreensAndDesktop - Ambient titleber don't open when mouse reaches top of the screen. (also with 3.8 boot cd)
  • »17.05.15 - 17:05
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

vox wrote:

I don`t know how fair it will be in gfx areas, since to my understanding Radeon4000HD support is very basic, no 3D. Hope this will be resolved in 3.9

added framebuffer only (no hardware 2D/3D acceleration) support for some HD2xxx/HD3xxx/HD4xxx/HD5xxx/HD6xxx series Radeon graphics cards

No 3D, and no 2D acceleration as well at this point, so quite useless IMHO. (How is 3D on HD4000 in OS4 BTW?) You should be better off by browsing for a supported card. Or wait :roll:. I suppose the 3.9 release will be the usual bug-fix release with no (or very few) new stuff added. I think 3.10 (at the earliest) could bring better support for the above mentioned GPU families. Possibly together with AmigaOne X5000 support, who knows...?

Hope 3D will come in MOS 3.9 release, as its common card sold with SAM460ex (as Envy24 is as external sound card, in Epsilons case).

There is no 3D in OS 4.1 either, so Radeon X1300 is I believe last common card that
    has 3D in both. So I might consider "downgrade" first and keeping RadeonHD for better days.
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »17.05.15 - 18:35
  • Just looking around
    Frek
    PowerMac G5 1.8Ghz, 1.5GB RAM with Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (Mac version; from factory as I paid almost $600 extra for the 9800 when I bought the G5 in 2003.)

MorphOS 3.7 - Runs generally fine; Occasional lockups if left on over night or so but otherwise it seems to work fine. Finds only about 960-980MB RAM.

MorphOS 3.8 - Extremely slow when booting from the CD; Fails to find any of my harddrives. Did not attempt installing it at this time (ie. mounting the disk from OS 3.7 and manually installing it). Finds around 1470-1480 MB RAM.

Mac OS X 10.5 - Rock stable (Before I installed MorphOS about a year ago, the machine been running 24/7 for 3 years), I've occasionally had it running OS X for some weeks a time still without any issues. Apple Hardware Test reports no errors either.

[ Edited by Frek 17.05.2015 - 18:46 ]
  • »17.05.15 - 18:43
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @vox

Odd numbers are usually bug fix releases (and arrives shortly after a main release). You will probably have to wait for at least 3.10.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »17.05.15 - 19:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    I'm seeing the same slowness with my PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 w/ Radeon 9800 pro (Mac Edition, not flashed).

3.8 works great on my Mac mini G4 though.

[ Edited by jdryyz 17.05.2015 - 11:55 ]
  • »17.05.15 - 20:27
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

Frek wrote:
    PowerMac G5 1.8Ghz, 1.5GB RAM with Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (Mac version; from factory as I paid almost $600 extra for the 9800 when I bought the G5 in 2003.)

MorphOS 3.7 - Runs generally fine; Occasional lockups if left on over night or so but otherwise it seems to work fine. Finds only about 960-980MB RAM.

MorphOS 3.8 - Extremely slow when booting from the CD; Fails to find any of my harddrives. Did not attempt installing it at this time (ie. mounting the disk from OS 3.7 and manually installing it). Finds around 1470-1480 MB RAM.

Hey Frek. I'm fairly sure I've solved your graphics card issue. I would also like you to test a fix for your HD issue, but I can't find your email address. I'll give you mine in a private message instead, send me a mail if you're interested.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »17.05.15 - 20:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Radeon X1300 is I believe last common card that has 3D in both.

OS4 does not support any X1xxx card in 3D. You need Radeon either up to 9250 or HD7000/R7/R9 for this. So the last card that is supported in 3D by both MorphOS and OS4 is the Radeon 9250 (while the 9000 Pro is the fastest).
  • »17.05.15 - 22:29
  • Just looking around
    Frek
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    Quote:

Frek wrote:

Hey Frek. I'm fairly sure I've solved your graphics card issue. I would also like you to test a fix for your HD issue, but I can't find your email address. I'll give you mine in a private message instead, send me a mail if you're interested.

Great, I've sent you an email.
  • »17.05.15 - 23:04
  • Just looking around
    Frek
    Quote:

jdryyz wrote:
    I'm seeing the same slowness with my PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 w/ Radeon 9800 pro (Mac Edition, not flashed).

3.8 works great on my Mac mini G4 though.

3.8 appears working great on my Peg 1 too. I'm confident this issue will be resolved shortly.
  • »17.05.15 - 23:06
  • HAK
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hi diezi7,

Quote:

diezi7 wrote:
    I tried to recover my previous settings (3.7) from MorphOS backup, now, I can't see any screen bar module, nor even
    the gadget to access their settings.

Had this too during my tests.
    Here the problem was, that I reused the 3.7 MOSSYS: directory, but forgot to go back to the 3.7 boot.img too.

So, check if you're still using the 3.8 boot.img with the recovered 3.7 MorphOS.

Bye HAK
  • »17.05.15 - 23:17
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Updated the G5 (registered) with no apparent problems yet. Everything looks good so far. I still have the MDD (registered) and iBook (unrgistered) to do.
  • »17.05.15 - 23:53
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Blasterreal
    How to change NTP server ip settings. i want to set custom ntp server
  • »18.05.15 - 08:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Where is the updated mui library that NoWinEd complains about?
  • »18.05.15 - 13:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Condor
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    Where is the updated mui library that NoWinEd complains about?

We have new updated muimaster.library (v 21) with MorphOs3.8, but NoWinEd check if muimaster version is 19 or 20. So I think that NoWinEd needs to be corected.

Someone tested option to hide Ambinet bar? (it dosen't open when mouse reaches top of the screen?).

Everything else seems to work correctly.

[ Edited by Condor 18.05.2015 - 13:22 ]
  • »18.05.15 - 13:14
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Where is the updated mui library that NoWinEd complains about?

MOSSYS:Libs/
  • »18.05.15 - 13:47
    boot_wb
    Quote:

boot_wb wrote:
    Disappointed to find that SMBFS still didn't support my NAS... until I realised it was using NFS (doh!).

Although the NAS-router advertises itself as offering an NFS server, and is labelled as such in the router's GUI... after telnetting in it turns out that it is actually a CIFS (SMB) server after all. After correcting an error in my scripted command line, my NAS now mounts using the inbuilt SMBFS command.

Awesome. :-)

Am I right in thinking SMBFS should now work correctly with big files >2GB >4GB (when copying to/from eg an IceFS or NTFS partition)?

[ Edited by boot_wb 18.05.2015 - 14:14 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »18.05.15 - 15:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    diezi7
    Hi HAK

Quote:

Had this too during my tests.
    Here the problem was, that I reused the 3.7 MOSSYS: directory, but forgot to go back to the 3.7 boot.img too.

So, check if you're still using the 3.8 boot.img with the recovered 3.7 MorphOS.

That's right ;-D. I realized later after copying backup and
    seeing 3.8 version in the about MorphOS windows.

I've installed 3.8 again, and some issues did go.
    I can play with MorphOS Prefs, but random system freezes
    continue, and the same with OWB wich was pretty solid before
    updating.

IIRC there are changes on Snoopium. There's an Ambient Thread [7]
    continuously throwing lines in the lister, that I don't
    remember on 3.7. Or at least they were not being monitorized.

I notice some overall speedup, for example reading thousand
    mods lists on ANR, or browsing with OWB. Even uncompressing lha.

Cheers !
    PowerMac G4 MDD 1,25 dual (Registered)
    Pegasos II G4 (not working)
    Powerbook G4 1.0 15"
    -=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=
    http://amigalandia.blogspot.com.es/
  • »18.05.15 - 15:08
    Profile Visit Website
    BSzili
    Quote:

Epsilon wrote:
    Hi All,

I am trying to install Morphos 3.8 on my sam460cr, alongside amigos4.1 final edition.

The partition layout of my 1TB SATA disk (on PCI 3114 controller) is:

DH0: AmigaOS4.1 FE (10GB - SFS)
    DH1: OSBackup (10GB SFS)
    DH2: Work (800GB - SFS2)
    DH3: Morphos (30GB - SFS)
    DH4: Data (70GB - SFS)

I can boot from the MorphOS 3.8 cd, selected the MorphOS 3.8 partition DH3, made sure it is set as bootable, and installed the files.

However I can't see any way to boot from it, unless I adjust the boot priorities of the partitions. I wanted to know if there is any way to do this so I can boot either one?

I can see the partition from AmigaOS4.1 (which still boots). When I try to change the boot priorities to prefer Morphos partition the media toolbox says there is an error in the rdb that needs correcting. This didn't exist before the morphos 3.8 install so I guess it installed something in the rd. that os4.1 doesn't like...I reinstalled the slab_v2 into the rdb to restore things so amigos4.1 disk tool stops complaining. I adjusted the boot priority so morphos is prioritised, but doesn't boot.

I can't find any instructions on how to do this dual boot configuration on the sam (unless I missed something), so I am asking for help.

Please forgive me - I have little knowledge of SLB or the boot loader on the sam as this system is new for me, so please don't assume I know how to configure it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Catcha,
    Epsilon

You might want to check out this boot loader suggested by m3x:
    http://www.acube-systems.biz/download/ub2lb-0.93.zip
    This is just like television, only you can see much further.
  • »18.05.15 - 19:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Megander
    Installed 3.8. on both Macmini and Powerbook and... nothing. Not a single bug, not one tiny glitch.

What is this?
  • »18.05.15 - 20:32
  • Just looking around
    I seem unable to install MOS 3.8. Everytime I get to the install screen, it complains that MorphOSBoot has a read/write error.
  • »18.05.15 - 21:56
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

t3hyoshi wrote:
    I seem unable to install MOS 3.8. Everytime I get to the install screen, it complains that MorphOSBoot has a read/write error.

Could be your CD drive is defect or burning CD failed. Have you tried to write new CD or boot from USB (Mac) ?
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »18.05.15 - 22:02
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    REGARDING ERROR I FOUND IN WIFI:

Quote:

Nadir wrote:
    Quote:

Raf_MegaByte wrote:
    I solved renaming Sys:MorphOS/Net to Sys:MorphOS/Net.new and copying 3.7 Net directory to its place.

Can you narrow it down further to one of the components in that directory?

I made some experiments in moving files in NET Drectory from elder to newer, and the guilt responsible seems to be b43 file of lenght 103302 bytes that came with 3.8.

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte 18.05.2015 - 23:35 ]
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »18.05.15 - 23:34