MorphOS 3.8, First Impressions, pros, cons, bugs
    guruman
    Quote:

Raf_MegaByte wrote:

I made some experiments in moving files in NET Drectory from elder to newer, and the guilt responsible seems to be b43 file of lenght 103302 bytes that came with 3.8.

Hi Raffaele,

it seems you are alone in experiencing this bug (contrary to the G5 slowness bug that has been confirmed by various users). May I suggest to download the ISO again and overwrite the file from there (you don't even need to burn a CD or boot from USB). If you are still experiencing problems, I will cross check on my mini (which is currently cable connected, but it won't take too long to test wireless...) and eventually report here.

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »19.05.15 - 00:21
    guruman
    Actually, I did a quick test and I am now replying with Ethernet physically disconnected and using wl0 interface, bcm43xx_wl.device with no apparent problems (if you can read this post, that is). So I still suspect a file corruption. ;-)

Kind regards,
    Andrea

[ Edited by guruman 19.05.2015 - 00:52 ]
  • »19.05.15 - 00:51
  • Just looking around
    Epsilon
    Quote:

BSzili wrote:

You might want to check out this boot loader suggested by m3x:
    http://www.acube-systems.biz/download/ub2lb-0.93.zip

Thanks for the suggestion. I paid for the final release 2015a firmware upgrade from acube systems last night and loaded it onto my sam 460CR as detailed in my blog here:

http://amigax1000.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/new-acube-systems-firmware-for-sam-460cr.html

I still can't see how to boot MorphOS from it though. A suggestion I got was to install MorphOS onto a SDCard, use the 460 onboard sdcard slot and boot from that. Excuse my ignorance on this, but how do you select the SDCard as the boot device in U-Boot? (is it 460 HD?) Couldn't see anything that said SD card in the multi-boot section of the firmware...

Catcha,
    Epsilon

[ Edited by Epsilon 19.05.2015 - 10:15 ]
  • »19.05.15 - 01:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Installed and tested v3.8 and all seem OK so far, but it finds about 1.5gb out of my 2.0gb total RAM on my g5.
    According to release notes it should see all 2.0 gb, isn't it right?
  • »19.05.15 - 08:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > it finds about 1.5gb out of my 2.0gb total RAM on my g5. According to
    > release notes it should see all 2.0 gb, isn't it right?

"Note that ABox still sees a maximum of 1.5 GiB"
    http://www.morphos-team.net/releasenotes/3.8
  • »19.05.15 - 08:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

dimfil wrote:
    Installed and tested v3.8 and all seem OK so far, but it finds about 1.5gb out of my 2.0gb total RAM on my g5.
    According to release notes it should see all 2.0 gb, isn't it right?

Everything is as it should be. :-)

MorphOS does indeed see/use all 2 gig but the rest of the memory is reserved/used by Quark in the background. It's just how things are.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »19.05.15 - 08:45
  • Just looking around
    Thank you for your answers.
    To be honest, I am not familiar with the term "ABox". Can you please explain in a few words so I can understand what is all about?
  • »19.05.15 - 08:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I am not familiar with the term "ABox". Can you please explain in a few
    > words so I can understand what is all about?

Just follow the links there:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=8904&start=112
  • »19.05.15 - 09:05
  • Just looking around
    Epsilon
    Hi All,

As an update, I now have dual boot working on the Sam 460CR with MorphOS 3.8 and AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition. More details on my blog here:

http://amigax1000.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/dual-boot-amigaos-41-fe-and-morphos-38.html

I hope this is interesting - I was so glad to get it working! :-)

Catcha,
    Epsilon
  • »19.05.15 - 12:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    ok, for everybody who is experiencing problems with slow and stuttering graphics/window behaviour:

i had the same problem on my OWB screen. As soon as i started OWB, the screen would popup with the OWB window and the movement would be slow and sluggish as hell. Like it is running on a Framebuffer.

This would also happen with other apps. I also noticed that the size of the window did also matter how slow it is. It just reminded me of the old Amiga AGA days, where resizing and moving of windows where pretty sluggish.

I found a temporary solution for this issue: I had to remove the background picture of the screen. That seemed to solve the issue.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »19.05.15 - 15:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

guruman wrote:
    Quote:

Raf_MegaByte wrote:

I made some experiments in moving files in NET Drectory from elder to newer, and the guilt responsible seems to be b43 file of lenght 103302 bytes that came with 3.8.

Hi Raffaele,

it seems you are alone in experiencing this bug (contrary to the G5 slowness bug that has been confirmed by various users). May I suggest to download the ISO again and overwrite the file from there (you don't even need to burn a CD or boot from USB). If you are still experiencing problems, I will cross check on my mini (which is currently cable connected, but it won't take too long to test wireless...) and eventually report here.

Kind regards,
    Andrea

Thru Ambient I picked B43 from MorphOS 3.8 ISO that I downloaded and put file in Mossys:Net again trouble

Version 50.12 date june 1 2014

MD5 Checksum 8ef3be37ee508bc5f4ec73ce0947ef3c

So I downloaded another MorphOS ISO and this time I expanded entire NET directory to its place. Trouble.

Again this message:

Code:
    Tue May 19 17:35:59 2015 [err  ]: OpenDevice: Device or unit failed to open

This time I don't copied entire MorphOS 3.7 NET directory but I used entire MorphOS 3.8 directory EXCEPT B43.

At the moment I am using B43 file from 3.7 file 112851bytes lenght version 50.10, April 20 2014 md5 checksum 1efd6cc8a8df5c41d6197ee605d6fc3f and works perfectly

For any debug this is the old data of b43 device in my MacMini output by B43MAcid by Frank Mariak:

b43_macid (c)2014 F.Mariak/VFD - mail output to <b43beta@morphos-team.net>
    SYSTEM:     PowerMac10,1
    found Broadcom Vendor $14e4 Device $4320 chip_rev 3
     mmio_base @ 0x0xe7fcc000 SSB_ENUM_BASE 0x18000000 SSB_CORE_SIZE 0x1000 SSB_BAR0_WIN 0x80
     core window 0 is set to 0x0x18001000 
     core window 1 is set to 0x0 
     pci cmd wrd = 0x0006
    802.11b/g mac_id identified as {xx:etcetera}
    >Broadcom 4306 WLAN found<
    Found SPROM: rev 1 board_rev 80 country_code 0 ant_available_a 0 ant_available_bg 3 board_flags 0x0000000a
                 maxpwr_bg 60 itssi_bg 62 (dBm Q5.2)
                 antenna_gain 2.4GHz {8,8,8,8} (dBm/4 Q5.2)
                 antenna_gain   5GHz {8,8,8,8} (dBm/4 Q5.2)
    Found PHY: Analog 2, Type G-phy (2), Revision 2
    Found Radio: Manuf 0x17F, Version 0x2050, Revision 2

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte 14.09.2015 - 13:14 ]
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »19.05.15 - 17:28
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

itix wrote:
    Quote:

t3hyoshi wrote:
    I seem unable to install MOS 3.8. Everytime I get to the install screen, it complains that MorphOSBoot has a read/write error.

Could be your CD drive is defect or burning CD failed. Have you tried to write new CD or boot from USB (Mac) ?

I assume it might be the burn sequence gone wrong. Somehow, I burned a copy of 3.7 and it booted swiftly and installed cleanly. I'm going to delete the iso from my Linux system and try the download and burn once again, or get a flashdrive and 'dd' the disc image onto the drive.
  • »19.05.15 - 18:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

Epsilon wrote:
    Hi All,

As an update, I now have dual boot working on the Sam 460CR with MorphOS 3.8 and AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition. More details on my blog here:

http://amigax1000.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/dual-boot-amigaos-41-fe-and-morphos-38.html

I hope this is interesting - I was so glad to get it working! :-)

Catcha,
    Epsilon

Hi Epsilon.

Just two notes: you could achieve that by connecting two hard drives as well :) Worked for me with no probs.

Also MorphOS cannot read OS4 SFS partition but it's unfortunately Hyperion's "feature", no quite nice from my pov.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »19.05.15 - 18:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    BSzili
    In my experience SFS\0 partitions are "mutual intelligible" between the two systems.
    This is just like television, only you can see much further.
  • »19.05.15 - 19:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    This has nothing to do with the thread but man..I sure would like FPC to work on my G5..........................
  • »19.05.15 - 19:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Ok, I am having a minor problem on my G5 with 3.8. I'm not filing a bug report, because it may be due to me having a flashed Radeon. On this G5 with flashed Radeon 9800, now with 3.8 it is finichky about booting. I'll get the chime, and usually see a folder in the middle of the screen, then I don't get the MorphOS splash screen. It just stops and sits there. After a number of soft resets, it will finally load and seem to work fine. It does this every time I boot now.

Probably due to the unsupported flashed Radeon, but only a guess. I am shopping for a genuine Mac Edition Radeon ATM, since this flashed card doesn't benchmark well anyway. We'll see if the "problem" goes away with a Mac version Radeon.

No complaints here, just an observation. Everything on 3.8 seems spiffy so far!
  • »19.05.15 - 23:47
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    This has nothing to do with the thread but man..I sure would like FPC to work on my G5..........................

First Presbyterian Church?
  • »20.05.15 - 00:00
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> I sure would like FPC to work on my G5

> First Presbyterian Church?

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11167&forum=12
  • »20.05.15 - 00:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >> I sure would like FPC to work on my G5

> First Presbyterian Church?

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11167&forum=12

who needs the search feature when Andreas "MorphZone Encyclopedia" Wolf is here! :-)

Just impatient and excited to get fpc working.
  • »20.05.15 - 02:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Surfing the Link povided by Andreas from message by TheMagicM makes me appear a Warning Message with a policeman hitting a thug.

Code:

WARNING!

You were trying to abuse the system, a logfile was created.

If you think you should not receive this message contect the administrator.

If I surf the link directly from Andreas message it works perfectly.

What is happening? :-D

P.S: Must I worry being blacklisted for surfing a misquoted link? :-o
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »20.05.15 - 04:39
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Surfing the Link povided by Andreas from message by TheMagicM makes me appear
    > a Warning Message with a policeman hitting a thug. [...] What is happening?

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=10&topic_id=8432&start=58
  • »20.05.15 - 07:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    OK! ;-)
  • »20.05.15 - 10:42
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Elric
    Hello!

I have a very strange thing: yesterday, the screen light command (F1/F2) was working ok (I'm on the MorphBook 5.3)...
    I view a film using MPlayer, and find that the sound commands (F4/F5) were fonctionnal (witch is not reported on this hardware), but seems only by MPlayer (not from MorphOS)...

This morning, turning back the "Morphchine" on, I loose the screen light tuning...
    Even after and update from the .iso and via usb, I don't have it back...

An other thing: On MOS 3.7, I had the option to use an extern screen (in copy mode)... It seems impossible now...

Plus special hazard with the wifi:

After my report yesterday on the thread: "Wifi still freezes Powerbook".

This morning, I find that it seems connected via the bcm43 (checked on the prefs pannel) but no networks are displayed on the prefs window for the bcm43 nor the Atheros pcmcia, but they are in the sreenbar wireless module's popup... (???)
    Furthermore, when I unplug the Atheros, I have a complain at startup and no wifi at all, even after some reboots to have the prefs (that freezes) in the good way...
    Tested too on usb booting on the .iso, and update from it...

Could that be an hardware bug on my MorphBook 5.3?

>>half self reply: with the macos instal cd, in the "system info"/Network/Airport card: it doesn't find it... But isn't that strange so, to see it in the MorphOS's prefs? On this MorphBook I can't yet search more by macos cause it's not at all on the machine... In a hopping short future I think to test via MintPPC on usb key...

(I permise myself to copy/past this wifi report to the up named thread...)

Amigan salutations.

[ Edited by Elric 20.05.2015 - 13:41 ]
  • »20.05.15 - 12:56
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Elric
    Hello again!

I find a behavour with the battery jauge (MorphBook 5.3): Since MOS 3.8, when working with OWB in usual conditions, the jauge comes instantly from about 25% to 0% ... ...but I can use it a bit in this 0% level before the "down"...

Oh! And trying to have back the screen light and so (without sucess), I made a PRAM, "in case".... So the horrific ugly apple start sound is back... and with no macos nor Linux on this machine, no live linux for now and not enouth web to download some x100Mo just for that, it's a torture!!!!

Perhaps it sould be an idea, if it's definitely impossible to have a command from OF or MorphOS to erradicate or at least mute that, to make a micro (probably less than a Mo) Linux iso with just a shell to make this job with the nvsetvol command?
    Is someone can made this easely?

Amigan salutations.

[ Edited by Elric 22.05.2015 - 11:16 ]
  • »22.05.15 - 10:42
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Forum tricked my again.

Ignore or delete this post.
  • »22.05.15 - 10:56