• Just looking around
    Frek
    Quote:

Fab wrote:
    Quote:

Frek wrote:
    I don't believe this for a second. I worked at multiple companies that manufactures setup boxes for DVB/IPTV; and basically everyone uses WebKit (regardless of the browser used, most commonly Opera, Netfront or Ekioh) essentially no setup box has more than 512MB RAM (where of about half is reserved for system use- especially MPEG acceleration), there is no swap at all.

Well, the leaks are still there nonetheless. But in set top boxes case, the processes using WebKit are most likely disposed as soon as possible to regain memory, and also, the UI is hopefully not as resource hungry as something like google services or facebook, for instance. :) Keep in mind the js leaks are closely related to the way the page is coded. Some pages using Javascript might not cause WebKit to leak.

That's what I thought I said, most setup boxes uses the browser to render the UI permanently, some do however reboot when you enter standby but most don't (it's not until recently it's been a requirmenent to enter real standby at all, previously most just disabled video output and pretended to be in standby.)

Webkit don't do JS at all, that's JSCore or V8 depending on the branch you use, if you are aware of a situation where webkit leaks using Javascript, don't hesitate to mail me cause I'll certainly forward it do the development departments of each of the mentioned browser vendors if I can reproduce it. The problem is that most require a standalone page with example code, and that can sometimes be hard to deliver if you don't know exactly what cause it; but so far for each issue I encountered where I could produce an sample it's been resolved (however I have to admit I haven't reported more than approximately 2 memory related issues in 6 years, so to me they are rare).
  • »21.05.15 - 20:15