Quote:

weiseb wrote:
    My questions would be:

What are the benefits of webkit2?
    Does it have a higher memory footprint?
    Are bugs still fixed for webkit1?
    More generally asked: Is the step avoidable or only deferrable

@Fab
    Are you willing to do it in the next couple of month?
    Is money (an amount a bounty can realistically generate) a motivation for you?
    Are there other morphos stuff you would prefer to do, that need funding?

WebKit2's main advantage is that it has one process by browser object, but as jaca said, it's not as much interesting for us as it could be on platforms with virtual spaces and memory protection.

It probably has a higher memory footprint, since it creates a JS VM instance (and possibly also a WebCore instance) per browser (which IIRC is at least 4MB at initialization), plus all the process intercommunication overhead, of course.

Bugs are still fixed for webkit1, and in fact, it doesn't matter. Actually, WTF, JavascriptCore and WebCore are common to WebKit1 and WebKit2 (same source code, only initialization differs). For the record, WebKit1/WebKit2 are *just* the highest level layers in the browser, the ones responsible for the user interface and the object initialization. In WebKit2, everything is done in a multiprocess manner (JavascriptCore and WebCore are instanciated for each browser "view"), Network, download manager, events, rendering modules are designed around a central IPC controller, and so on...

Do I have the time to do it? No, and a bounty won't change that, and as said above, it's not that interesting, anyway. ATM, i'm working on sync'ing WebKit to a current version, which is more important IMO.

[ Edited by Fab 11.05.2015 - 07:21 ]
  • »11.05.15 - 08:19
    Profile Visit Website