• Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    So you both keep saying, but the X86/X64 versions are running on a little endian cpu which does cause compatibility issues.
    And no AROS port has full support for all libraries.

Basically, every port is going to require some work-arounds.

That depends entirely on how it was designed in the first place. Source that was designed to be endian agnostic in the first place has no issue at all. If there is an issue(bug). It can and should be fixed in the OS not the application.

Quote:

Compatibility? By that I assume you just recompile it and it works?

Yes that is exactly what I mean. You may think I bought FinalWriter so AROS would have a wordprocessor. That's only part of the reason. I bought it also to help find bugs in AROS to allow cleaner ports. ;)

Quote:

And now that you mention it, AROS 68K IS damned slow.

Merely the gui is damned slow iirc that is actually part of the icon.library's fault.

Quote:

Edit: Sorry that IS a bit inaccurate. OS friendly ports for the most part do NOT require any alteration.
    AROS is certain as close to binary compatibility as we are ever likely to see.

And I wish the development team nothing but good fortune (just remembered I had friends working on this).

I seriously don't get the whole us vs them mentality that goes on in this community. As someone who has spent $1000's on what to me is a hobby it makes no sense.

Quote:

Just ignore the over the top BS guys.
    I'd edit it out, but then the post would only serve to bolster my opinion (that a compatible X86/X64 OS is kind of pointless if you have to alter code to suit the endian structure of the new cpu).

Reversing data structure based on the endian of a CPU is less of a big deal than making sure the OS is handling the API properly. ;)

Quote:

Still, as a project, pretty damned impressive.

AND, in a fork to X64, we'll face the same challenges porting existing code (with potentially less API support).
    So, AROS? Still my second favorite NG OS.
  • »09.03.17 - 11:38