• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    ........ For me, it would be enough to turn PPC MorphOS from the 31-bit OS it is effectively now into a real 32-bit OS so it can address 4 GiB of RAM.

Bingo!

I think that making MorphOS a truly 32-bit OS, to allow it to access 4gb of memory, plus giving it SMP similar, or exactly like they are pursuing in AROS, and possibly implementing some kind of memory protection, would satisfy most MorphOS users.

I wonder how many MorphOS Dev. Team members are conflicted regarding the move to x64 hardware, and the monumental task that such a project (probably) is, instead of continuing with our current PPC stable version of MorphOS, which they know well, and have worked on for so many years? I would think that the move to x64, no matter how attractive, must be daunting, considering the small size of the team, and the reduced free coding time that most of them have, now that they are older, and have higher family responsibilities that eat up much of their free time.

Let's hope that the move to x64 is less painful for the Dev. Team than I am imagining, and the benefits for both them and us, the users, make the decision easier than I can know.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »04.03.17 - 20:37