• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Nothing really special, except they have done the layout work.

Freescale released the T1042D4RDB about 2 years ago (we talked about that board via PM back then), so that's when they must have done the original layout work at the latest.

>> I clearly favour the AROS solution of running everything within the same environment.

> IF everything CAN be made to run in the same environment...

SMP-enabled 64-bit AROS *can* run old 64-bit single-core AROS binaries and new 64-bit AROS binaries using the new SMP API in the same environment. Of course, I can't say for sure whether that would also be possible for PPC MorphOS (in 32-bit mode, that is), but I think (and hope) it is. Maybe a MorphOS team member will condescend to give us mortals any details about this.

> I'd parse that into "I...favor...running everything"

...with "everything" meaning these:
    1. old and current single-core MorphOS binaries
    2. future MorphOS binaries using a future SMP API (AROS-like)
    3. m68k binaries that are already running on current MorphOS

> and still would like to have the benefit of support for full 32 or 64 bit multi-core
    > threaded code.

Yes, that's already included in my definition of "everything" above. Without "multi-core threaded code", "everything" would just mean exactly what we have already right now. And while my MorphOS hardware is a 64-bit system, I don't have a need for 64-bit OS or programs (on the same PPC hardware, 64-bit is slower than 32-bit anyway). For me, it would be enough to turn PPC MorphOS from the 31-bit OS it is effectively now into a real 32-bit OS so it can address 4 GiB of RAM.
  • »04.03.17 - 19:22