• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    @takemehomegrandma

Well, then it's OK I guess :-) How about at least a line where the first non beta versions of MOS and ASO4 was released? Otherwise poeple might get the wrong idea.

And what exactly is a non-beta in these cases, and when? MorphOS v1.0? Only by its version number in its name, but certainly not from a user experience IMHO. So while some people (like you did) would say 1.0, some would perhaps say 1.2 but even more would say 1.3 (IMHO this is where things got stable and useful, my vote goes here), some would perhaps even say 1.4? And not strictly beta wise, but feature wise and maturity wise you could argue that MorphOS 2.0 is really what the 1.0 should have been, etc, etc. And OS4? They had their "pre-release" scheme going on for a very long time, and while those releases definitely was beta, they were also (mostly?) a way for Hyperion to foul-play Amiga Inc (to be able to say that 4.0 hadn't yet been released, probably while hoping for an A Inc bankruptcy in the mean time). My vote for the first non-beta level of OS4 is "4.1.1", but others may disagree (which is my point). But then again, 4.1.3 (the first release after ssolie took over after the Frieden brothers) was catastrophic and was probably not tested at all by any betatester. This is how the evolution of OS4 has been from the beginning IMHO, stability and overall quality and "beta level" varied a great deal over releases, no matter where they came in the chronological order. And just like with MorphOS, when talking about features and overall maturity level, if you had asked people back in 2000 what they expected out of AmigaOS 4.0, their answers would probably match the 4.1.7 "Final Edition" more than any other previous release. And then we have AROS, with it's hosted/native/virtual machine versions, various ISA targets, various "distros", builds with some silly smp, 64-bit, etc. When was/wasn't AROS beta?

You said that talks about AROS (Amiga Replacement OS) began in 1993. I think there were talks about both MorphOS and Hyperions OS4 prior to any release as well, as there are often talks about most things in development. But not everything talked about ever gets released. Most doesn't. Actually releasing something to the public is IMHO an important milestone to a project, it's what separates vapor from the tangible. When it's not just talk anymore. There has been so much vapor in the Amiga history. So no matter if it takes a couple of "boing bags" before reaching a "Final Edition", the first public release is an important statement, definitely worth highlighting IMHO. And there is nothing individually subjective about this, the first public release is undeniably the first chance the public has to actually play with the thing, hands on!

:-)

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma 02.03.2015 - 14:22 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »02.03.15 - 12:57