• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    I doubt Cloante even has all the sources.

Most certainly they don't. They have the binaries though, and the ownership/copyright.

Quote:

I even more doubt Cloanto has the resources or plans to do any further development beyond basic bugfixes.

Same here, they are obviously not in the OS development business. But it's interesting that they now own the OS entirely. And when it comes to "Workbench 3.X" I was (besides a complete new release for old Amigas) mostly thinking of existing and potential future FPGA based machines, that can now be bundled with an official Workbench, that can even be adapted/improved for any enhancements such machines may have (support written by the *HW developers* obviously). Previously the chances for this happening with Amiga Inc/Hyperion was zero. AFAIK this was the main reason to why Jens Schönfeld dropped the "Clone A" (which was practically finished in development IIRC) back in the days. Of course it would take some policy from Cloanto to allow things like this, and perhaps they are only interested in emulation? Another thing that wouldn't be too far off, would perhaps be to produce physical 3.X ROM's for old Amigas. An updated ROM has been wanted for almost two decades now. And maybe they would allow a fork with improvements written by community members, like AROS developers? Existing old 68k binaries as a base, replacements/improvements here and there as time goes by?

When it comes to a potential "Workbench 4" I was merely speculating in a potential future in some form for OS4 if Hyperion will be liquidated. In this case, Cloanto owns the essential 3.1 IP, and the OS4 stuff comes in this case from the individual developers (who Cloanto makes a deal with) who wants OS4 to continue to exist in some form and maybe even be further developed. They have the sources (including Olaf Barthel's 3.1 sources that has been used in OS4), and Cloanto has the rights to 3.1...

A lot of "maybes" there of course, hehe...

;-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »27.02.15 - 22:19