Price of MorphOS license
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Here's the thing, your nearest competitor, AmigaOS, has recently lowered their cost. I think it is either 29.00 or 39.00 USD at this time. Also, Apple did lower the cost of MacOS to 29.95, so by any means MorphOS is an expensive OS. I'm not saying change it, but your compitition is getting cheaper..
  • »19.02.16 - 15:59
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

DFergFLA wrote:
    Here's the thing, your nearest competitor, AmigaOS, has recently lowered their cost. I think it is either 29.00 or 39.00 USD at this time. Also, Apple did lower the cost of MacOS to 29.95, so by any means MorphOS is an expensive OS. I'm not saying change it, but your compitition is getting cheaper..

OS 4 a competitor?!?!?!?!? REALLY??? I cant run it on my Powerbook, cant run it on my G5. So to me, its not competing on any hardware I own. Do you know where you pay the difference? Go look at their hardware list and let me know how much it really costs to run OS 4.

My hardware:

Powerbook G4 5,6: $100
    MorphOS License $ 123
    Total --------------> $223

PowerMac G5, dual 2ghz $125 ( I think.. I might have paid $100)
    MorphOS license $123 (?? I think thats what I paid)
    Total -----------> $248

Let me know what comes close to a Laptop running OS 4, do the same with the G5 and let me know the price. Also, when is the last time OS4 had an update? I'll gladly pay what I pay for MorphOS, an OS that gets regular updates.

EDIT:
    Weren't you also complaining earlier about the price of MorphOS being expensive..well I cringe the thought of you going ballistic after buying OS4.1FE for $30 then finding out you have to spend a few hundred just for a motherboard and all other things for it. LOL

[ Edited by TheMagicM 19.02.2016 - 10:50 ]
  • »19.02.16 - 16:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    Take a x86 Laptop for 100$ and OS4.1 for 40$ and you'll have your cheap Amiga NG operating system...

now dont tell me that this is no competition.

[ Edited by Cego 19.02.2016 - 16:50 ]
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »19.02.16 - 16:49
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    Take a x86 Laptop for 100$ and OS4.1 for 40$ and you'll have your cheap Amiga NG operating system...

Let me know what FAST laptop you can buy for $100. Dont bullshit me. WinUAE running OS4.1FE emulated on a $100 laptop will be the slowest thing in the fuckin world. LMFAO.

EDIT:
    Let me know which of these laptops for 100 can run OS4.1 at a usable pace:

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/search/sys?min_price=1&max_price=100&query=laptop

[ Edited by TheMagicM 19.02.2016 - 10:56 ]
  • »19.02.16 - 16:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    Quote:

DFergFLA wrote:

OS 4 a competitor?!?!?!?!? REALLY??? I cant run it on my Powerbook, cant run it on my G5. So to me, its not competing on any hardware I own. Do you know where you pay the difference? Go look at their hardware list and let me know how much it really costs to run OS 4.

My hardware:

Powerbook G4 5,6: $100
    MorphOS License $ 123
    Total --------------> $223

PowerMac G5, dual 2ghz $125 ( I think.. I might have paid $100)
    MorphOS license $123 (?? I think thats what I paid)
    Total -----------> $248

Let me know what comes close to a Laptop running OS 4, do the same with the G5 and let me know the price. Also, when is the last time OS4 had an update? I'll gladly pay what I pay for MorphOS, an OS that gets regular updates.

EDIT:
    Weren't you also complaining earlier about the price of MorphOS being expensive..well I cringe the thought of you going ballistic after buying OS4.1FE for $30 then finding out you have to spend a few hundred just for a motherboard and all other things for it. LOL

Wow what a nice way to welcome new people. I have been very carefull to be nice on this board. I can see now that the MorphOS community is not going to recipracate. I do feel that it is too expensive when you consider it is running on 11 year old hardware. But, that is only my opinion and I am entitled to it. I am entitled to express it. If that is a problem, maybe MorphOS isn't for me. There is no reason at all for your tirade about my post. I was not accusing, I was not mean. I was not trolling. I would pay the going rate for MorphOS, if I could go out and buy a laptop to run it on that wasn't so dang old. I don't see any reason why the cost of a license should be as much or more then the hardware it is running on.

[ Edited by DFergFLA 19.02.2016 - 12:24 ]
  • »19.02.16 - 17:14
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

DFergFLA wrote:

AmigaOS only costs 29 or 39? Really?!? What are you going to run it on? Air? You first need to buy ridiculously priced hardware to run it on. Who cares what the OS price is when the hardware makes the cost of entry well in the thousands.

And that $39 price isn't the full price. After you pay that you have to in turn pay for your video card driver, pay for MUI key, pay for Warp3D, pay for firmware upgrades.

Come on man! If you aren't interested at the current price, you won't be interested at a cheaper price. If price is the biggest concern, there is always AROS which is free and people largely aren't using it.
  • »19.02.16 - 17:36
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Cego wrote:

You are joking right? What do you think you will be able to accomplish with OS4 "Classic" on UAE? If all you want to do is slowly re-arrange icons on the low res desktop, fine, but you won't be surfing the web or doing anything remotely useful.
  • »19.02.16 - 17:38
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    My point is and has always been, the cost of a license being more then the cost of the hardware is crazy. But I can see having any contrary option about things is not welcome.. so.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11583&post_id=124750&order=0&viewmode=flat&pid=0&forum=38#124750
  • »19.02.16 - 17:39
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

DFergFLA wrote:
    But I can see having any contrary option about things is not welcome.. so.

On the contrary, if you post an opinion you should expect people to respond with their own opinion.

This is a discussion forum, not a personal blog ;-)
  • »19.02.16 - 17:45
    Cego
    @DFergFLA

dont get too pissed about non existing friendliness. Some MorphOS users tend to be arrogant, especially when you criticize.

regarding pricing, i do understand your point. but this is a niche project with a handful of devs working in their freetime. it is not compatable with OS X or Windows.

I too, think that the pricing scheme should change. I would be happy when they could lower the top-notch licenses (G5, PB G4) to somewhere in 70-80 Euros and iBooks, G4s, Efika etc to 40 Euros.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »19.02.16 - 17:46
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    dont get too pissed about non existing friendliness. Some MorphOS users tend to be arrogant, especially when you criticize.

Funny how that works, you are allowed to have an opinion but anyone with with a differing opinion is instantly "arrogant".
  • »19.02.16 - 17:49
    Cego
    no, its not the opinion itself, it's the way they say it. there are more constructive ways to express that
  • »19.02.16 - 17:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    no, its not the opinion itself, it's the way they say it. there are more constructive ways to express that

I'm waiting for a reply to the $100 OS4 x86 laptop. lol

I mean, you can run GEOS on a unexpanded/unaccelerated C64 and if you're ok with that comparison, have at it with WinUAE, $100 x86 and OS4.1FE. :-)

My bad on the previous post, I didnt put enough --> :-) in it.

Sorry, just stating fact. No sense sugar coating it. Everyone wants to be pampered, so I just give the opposite. But really..come on.. this dude complains about $123 price of MorphOS then having to buy a Powerbook for at least $100. You're telling me he'll be happy with a 100 x86 and WinUAE emulating OS4.1FE and how it'll be like GEOS and a c64? Nope. So if he cant buy the cheapest hardware and the cheapest, most upgraded OS, MorphOS, he's not going to go get OS4.1FE.

@DFergFLA: Dont take my stuff too hard, I welcome you, but you're complaining about a niche OS which has people who work for literally nothing for an OS that gives them only a "thank you" because $123 is divided so many times, they might as well do it for free.

[ Edited by TheMagicM 19.02.2016 - 12:29 ]
  • »19.02.16 - 18:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Now Mr. MagicM - you are making much more sense to me. I can take that. I will at some point even pay for a license. I really do like MorphOS. I am just having some really bad issues with youtube I am trying to get worked out. If I can get the OWB to work well on the websites I visit most often the it is a done deal.
  • »19.02.16 - 18:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

DFergFLA wrote:
    Now Mr. MagicM - you are making much more sense to me. I can take that. I will at some point even pay for a license. I really do like MorphOS. I am just having some really bad issues with youtube I am trying to get worked out. If I can get the OWB to work well on the websites I visit most often the it is a done deal.

Ask here. There are MANY knowledgeable folks..or even go to freenode on IRC #MorphOS. Dev team hangs out there along with other users.. Timezone may keep replies to a minimum though..
  • »19.02.16 - 18:39
    Profile Visit Website
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

redrumloa schrieb:
    Come on man! If you aren't interested at the current price, you won't be interested at a cheaper price. If price is the biggest concern, there is always AROS which is free and people largely aren't using it.

I think the $123 price is high enough for people to at least hesitate buying a licence even if they like using PPC hardware and MorphOS.

MorphOS strong selling point is the very good out of the box experience and the broad range of hardware support. It's the only Amiga NG OS which is able to run on a laptop natively without much hassle. Amiga OS 4 does not do that, neither AROS. Same for Apple G5 hardware, MorphOS has no competition here. Of course the devs know that too, so that's why there's still $123 for this hardware.

So in the end I bought a license because nowadays used PPC hardware is cheap enough for the calculation to turn out. But you have to do that calculation of course.

I did not buy a license back then (5-6 years ago?) when I first stumbled over MorphOS. But I think I would have bought one if it had been cheaper, just to play around with an Amiga NG system. Like the $79 or $49 which is charged for some hardware.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »19.02.16 - 19:51
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Well, I guess they can lower the price. But don't come complaining later then if some hardware doesn't get supported or their homepage and forum get slow as hell. Unless you think it's fair that they pay for all the hardware and expenses out of their own pockets as well as work for free.

Really, I would like to see you guys go to a BMW dealer and argue about how many more buyers they would get if they just cut their price in half. Because, yeah, that's how it works. The reason their cars cost so much have nothibg to do with the materials, tools and man hours invested. It's just a number they made out for kicks.

And yes, AmigaOS 4 has lowered the price. Most likely to be able to sell it for the newly supported WinUAE PPC. Who in their right mind would pay 150€ for that? I bet they saw this as a way to make at least some money. Clever I admit.

But considering how much extra you still have to pay to get the same experience it's not as cheap anymore. A lot of stuff like 3D support cost extra (a lot extra). So pretty soon you are up to a MOS laptop licence anyway.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »19.02.16 - 20:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Methanoid schrieb:
    Only registered today to post here..

I've often considered MOS and did try it and liked it on a Mac Mini.

I WONT buy it.. its crazy expensive IMHO. I would at €29-39. If I wanted to use MOS I would just use it for 30m and reboot. I suspect very few people buy it cos of the high price. If it was a sensible price you'd see many old Mini and G5 computers sold on eBay for old time Amiga users who would spend a bit to have a play.

Whether you get 3x sales, I don't know.. but whoever sets the price has to ask themselves.. are we getting enough sales already? You want NEW sales. Those who paid €111 are not paying again. They are done. They have been milked. Maybe now milk a cheaper market?

Look at the other OSs

Linux - free
    Windows - moving to a service model. You can buy Win10 for €20 (yes you can!)
    OSX - now free with the hardware but previously €20 or so. My OSX was £14.99 I think?

Do you want to make sales, grow your userbase or not?

OK. I'm done. Doubt I will be back. You can all feel great about MOS, all 20 of you or whatever. Another potential MOS user put off.

Or I'll just use the 30m restricted one forever. You made nothing from me. Great job!

Indeed the price seems high on first sight (and I wouldn't complain if it ws lowered). But ppl tend to oversee the free upgrades Look my eldest MorphOS license is from the 2.0 release. I paid 111 EUR and got a key for MorphOS 2.0, then 2.1 came, I upgraded, the key stood valid. That was repeated quite many times until 3.9 now. If I divide the 111 EUR by the updates or years the cost becomes rather little.

But I would suggest to get a common price for all supported maschines, the 111 EUR look a bit arbitrary IMHO.

And comparison with OS X or Windows - gosh, that's really not the case. Look, I don't call my local carpenter silly when he charged me a fortune for a dining table while I can a dining table at Ikea for 99.-. But the Ikea table is booooring. It's mass market, my local carpenter does a complete different business although on first sight he sells tables just as Ikea sells tables. Maybe he would be glad to be in a position like Ikea, but he isn't. And he would be stupid to pretend he were. hence he doesn't.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »19.02.16 - 20:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    But considering how much extra you still have to pay to get the same experience it's not as cheap anymore. A lot of stuff like 3D support cost extra (a lot extra). So pretty soon you are up to a MOS laptop licence anyway.

That needs repeated. The main reason OS4 is so cheap, there is no real work being put into it any longer. There was just thread someone linked to stating there have been no Amiupdates in a year. They pretty much HAD to lower the price to justify the fact the only updates are coming from 3rd party commercial vendors and are very expensive. When you have to drop serious cash for things as mundane as 2D gfx card drivers, something has to give.

[ Edited by redrumloa 19.02.2016 - 15:26 ]
  • »19.02.16 - 20:25
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:

That needs repeated. The main reason OS4 is so cheap, there is no real work being put into it any longer. There was just thread someone linked to stating there have been no Amiupdates in a year. They pretty much HAD to lower the price to justify the fact the only updates are coming from 3rd party commercial vendors and are very expensive. When you have to drop serious cash for things as mundane as 2D gfx card drivers, something has to give.

Not to mention that people had to pay 150 dollars to upgrade from OS4.0 to OS4.1 and then pay another 29 dollars to "upgrade" to OS4.1FE which never gets any updates.

[ Edited by Intuition 19.02.2016 - 20:36 ]
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »19.02.16 - 20:36
    Tcheko
    @Zylesea

The best reply ever.

MorphOS Team is made of local carpenters... Haha. :)
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »19.02.16 - 20:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I think the main reason was to sell to WinUAE users. They would never pay 150€. It's speculation, but the price might still be 150€ if WinUAE didn't get PPC support.

But it's really not the point. Things cost the way they do because of either greed or necessity (this includes AmigaOS 4). And I really doubt anyone does this because of greed because: where is the money?
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »19.02.16 - 20:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > buying OS4.1FE for $30 then finding out you have to spend a few hundred
    > just for a motherboard

OS4 has specific versions for the different compatible platforms, so you have to decide for the motherboard first.
  • »19.02.16 - 22:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > [...] OS4 "Classic" on UAE? [...] low res desktop

"WinUAE 3.3.0 WIP #1 (14.02.2016) [...]
    OS4.x supported UAE expansions: [...]
    - uaegfx RTG. [...]
    "
    http://www.winuae.net/frames/mainframe.html
  • »19.02.16 - 22:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > don't come complaining later then if [...] their [...] forum get slow as hell.

Are the MorphZone hosting costs paid from the MorphOS registration money?
  • »19.02.16 - 23:34