Price of MorphOS license
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

FerociousAmiga wrote:
    Does MorphOS have Guru Mediation screen? I crashed my Rune Audio on my Raspberry Pi and my surprise it gave me a Guru Mediation screen. Good Old memories! :D

No it doesen´t.

We removed the crash part, so no need for a Guru Meditation.

Quote:

redrumloa wrote:

"Abandon the X5000 port.."

Say what?!

I'm counting on that to run the X5000 I intend to buy.
    Otherwise, why buy one? ;)

Just relax. The X5000 port was shown with MorphOS the first time over a year ago. - Working! -.

So no need to abandon anything. The whole Sam460 port only exists because of the X5000. If the X5000 board would have been available earlier, there probably would not be a Sam port at all. The Sam460 and the X5000 are quite similar, so the SAM was used to adapt MorphOS years before the X5000 was available (for developers).

At the end the MorphOS got (and gets) tons of changes when the X5000 finally is available for the masses, which will probably still take a while as Hyperion is probably busy with the next project (tabor) already.

I personaly have no clue why they sit on an stack of high priced boards and not selling them.

However they will have to compete with MorphOS once again and - unlike the Pegasos2 - on their playfield. Yes, there is the Sam, too. But since the MorphOS Team is supporting graphic boards one by one, supporting 2d and 3d Hyperion or who ever develops drivers is jumping to insane high end models mostly supported partly. So just a limited number of boards supported by both systems at the same time.
  • »09.06.16 - 15:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The whole Sam460 port only exists because of the X5000. If the X5000 board
    > would have been available earlier, there probably would not be a Sam port
    > at all. The Sam460 and the X5000 are quite similar

Thanks for the insight. Would you please explain these similarities between the Sam460 and the X5000 (or alternatively, have some lowlevel developer like bigfoot do it)?

> so the SAM was used to adapt MorphOS years before the X5000 was available
    > (for developers)

According to bigfoot, the P5020DS (available from Freescale since September 2012) was used before the X5000 was available for developers.

http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=11137&start=167
    http://www.nxp.com/webapp/search.partparamdetail.framework?PART_NUMBER=P5020DS-PB

> Hyperion is probably busy with the next project (tabor) already. I personaly
    > have no clue why they sit on an stack of high priced boards and not selling
    > them. However they will have to compete with MorphOS once again

Strangely, this reads as if you see A-Eon and Hyperion as a single entity.

> Hyperion or who ever develops drivers is jumping to insane high end models

The compatible "Southern Islands" GPUs also include entry-level variants.

> So just a limited number of boards supported by both systems at the same time.

And there's still the audio problem with MorphOS on the Sam460cr, isn't it?
  • »09.06.16 - 17:18
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > The whole Sam460 port only exists because of the X5000. If the X5000 board
    > would have been available earlier, there probably would not be a Sam port
    > at all. The Sam460 and the X5000 are quite similar

Thanks for the insight. Could you please explain these similarities between the Sam460 and the X5000 (or alternatively, have some lowlevel developer like bigfoot do it), please?

I am out here. This is what I was told about the reasons the x1000 was off the list, as it is completly different.

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Hyperion is probably busy with the next project (tabor) already. I personaly
    > have no clue why they sit on an stack of high priced boards and not selling
    > them. However they will have to compete with MorphOS once again

Strangely, this reads as if you see A-Eon and Hyperion as a single entity.

Well, Hyperion is the company composing the OS. No clue what their relationship with A-Eon is, but I would insist in finishing the X5000 port to avoid money rotting in the basement, where stacks of X5000 are stored.

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > So just a limited number of boards supported by both systems at the same time.

And there's still the audio problem with MorphOS on the Sam460cr, isn't it?

The Sam460cr has no audio, so no problem at all. The other SAM460s are fully supported by MorphOS.

You probably can stuff in some Envy-Card to get sound. No clue about the limitations/number of the board and the pci slots.

USB Audio would be a solution here, but USB-iso transfer would be required for that.
  • »09.06.16 - 17:46
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >You probably can stuff in some Envy-Card to get sound

Nope, the Envy driver is broken.
    I sold my Envy based card because of that.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »09.06.16 - 19:09
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > It is a hosted on Linux version of AROS, so I don't see why it wouldn't be stable.
    > It should be as stable as the Linux distro it is hosted on top of

Why shouldn't AROS be able to crash when running on top of Linux? Of course, due to Linux' memory protection, AROS won't be able to crash the underlying Linux or any other Linux task running in parallel to AROS, but that's a different thing.

I often write less in my posts than what I am thinking of regarding the answers (which is surprising considering how long winded too many of my forum posts are), and I should have added that AEROS should be just as stable as all other versions of AROS.

I haven't read any complaints regarding AROS being prone to crashing often, so I don't think it is a common problem, but I don't read AROS forums, so I could be assuming too much and it might be less stable than I imagine. My point was that I don't think AEROS is any less stable than any other version of AROS.

[ Edited by amigadave 09.06.2016 - 14:51 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »09.06.16 - 20:44
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    >You probably can stuff in some Envy-Card to get sound

Nope, the Envy driver is broken.
    I sold my Envy based card because of that.

Well, no clue about 3.9, but the driver should work.

Even if not you seemed to mixed up "selling" with "bugreporting".

[ Edited by geit 10.06.2016 - 00:20 ]
  • »09.06.16 - 21:19
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Quote:

I haven't read any complaints regarding AROS being prone to crashing often, so I don't think it is a common problem

Well, it's a research OS, open source and free as in free beer. I don't think people demand as much as over here. My experience is that AROS is much more stable now than 4 years ago.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »09.06.16 - 22:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Could you please explain these similarities between the Sam460 and the X5000
    >> (or alternatively, have some lowlevel developer like bigfoot do it), please?

> I am out here.

Too bad. I hope bigfoot (or someone else in the know) will find the time to explain this to us mortals. I'm sure I'm not the only one with an interest.

>>> Hyperion is probably busy with the next project (tabor) already. I personaly
    >>> have no clue why they sit on an stack of high priced boards and not selling
    >>> them. However they will have to compete with MorphOS once again

>> Strangely, this reads as if you see A-Eon and Hyperion as a single entity.

> Hyperion is the company composing the OS. [...] I would insist in finishing the X5000
    > port to avoid money rotting in the basement, where stacks of X5000 are stored.

Yes, but the rotting money is A-Eon's, not Hyperion's. And it's A-Eon who "sit on an stack of high priced boards and not selling them", not Hyperion.

>> there's still the audio problem with MorphOS on the Sam460cr, isn't it?

> You probably can stuff in some Envy-Card to get sound.

No, you can't with MorphOS.

http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11256&forum=11&start=18
  • »10.06.16 - 00:08
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the Envy driver is broken.

According to cyfm, the reason why MorphOS doesn't support such card in the PCIe x1 slot of the Sam460 is that MorphOS can't currently see PCIe cards with PCI-based chipsets connected via (on-card) bridge chip to the PCIe x1 slot.

http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11256&forum=11&start=20
  • »10.06.16 - 00:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I haven't read any complaints regarding AROS being prone to crashing often,
    > so I don't think it is a common problem, but I don't read AROS forums, so I
    > could be assuming too much and it might be less stable than I imagine. My point
    > was that I don't think AEROS is any less stable than any other version of AROS.

You may want to read the AEROS review linked there:

http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11709&forum=3
  • »12.06.16 - 13:26
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf schrieb:
    > I haven't read any complaints regarding AROS being prone to crashing often,
    > so I don't think it is a common problem, but I don't read AROS forums, so I
    > could be assuming too much and it might be less stable than I imagine. My point
    > was that I don't think AEROS is any less stable than any other version of AROS.

You may want to read the AEROS review linked there:

http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11709&forum=3

You do the same mistake as the author... generalizing Aros

it is one distribution on one hardware platform 6 months ago
  • »12.06.16 - 13:54
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> I haven't read any complaints regarding AROS being prone to crashing often,
    >>> so I don't think it is a common problem, but I don't read AROS forums, so I
    >>> could be assuming too much and it might be less stable than I imagine. My point
    >>> was that I don't think AEROS is any less stable than any other version of AROS.

> You may want to read the AEROS review linked there:
    > http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11709&forum=3

> You do the same mistake as the author... generalizing Aros

No, I don't. amigadave and me have been discussing the stability of AEROS for Raspberry Pi 2, and the review is about AEROS for Raspberry Pi 2. Where is the generalization on my part?

> it is one distribution on one hardware platform

Yes, the distribution and hardware platform amigadave and me have been discussing.

> 6 months ago

Indeed, there have been updates to AEROS for Raspberry Pi 2 after the review was published. It would be nice to know whether the problems mentioned by the reviewer have been addressed.
  • »12.06.16 - 20:27
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    phoenixkonsole
    You can grab the demo. It is the version which was tested in this article.
    It is 2 major releases behind. It doesn't work on a pi3 for instance and i386 emulation has seen also a big version jump.
  • »12.06.16 - 22:24
  • Just looking around
    I'm new here and the high price really scares me. I am one of those people who just like to try out different OS and hardware, and happened to have a powerbook laying around for the past few years so the other day I loaded morph onto it to try it out. I really like that it is something different but what really scare me is lack of software, among other stability issues. First of I am new the the whole Amiga thing so I don't have too many retro expectations, all I know is compared to other systems the amount of software seems low and the usability is very different. I have had to relearn how to use this system as nothing is the same as anything else I have ever used. I have had many performance and usability issues that would not make me want to spend $125. Many times the whole system randomly locks up on me or crashes and Im forced to reboot. This combined with the bleak future outlook (How long can we continue using outdated powerpc hardware that apple stopped making 10+ years ago? and is this very feasible). youtube videos in the lowest quality stutter and major web services fail to load at all without any flash support. Basic HTML pages run the CPU up to 100% for a good 20 seconds and im using the 1.67GHz powerbook 2GB DDR2 ram fastest one ever made. ATI RAGE stopped hitting the mark 10 years ago....
  • »13.06.16 - 04:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > How long can we continue using outdated powerpc hardware that
    > apple stopped making 10+ years ago?

Sam460 and AmigaOne X5000 to the rescue ;-)

> youtube videos in the lowest quality stutter

http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11710&forum=3&start=3

> Basic HTML pages run the CPU up to 100% for a good 20 seconds

That's not "basic HTML" then but JavaScript overload.

> ATI RAGE stopped hitting the mark 10 years ago....

Huh?
  • »13.06.16 - 08:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Ozfer

Welcome to the blue camp :-)

Yes, Amiga is very different from everything else so you have a pretty steep learning curve here. You are spot on that we have a terrible lack of modern software, which is sadly not likely to improve anytime soon. But there are still a lot of useful software out there if you just know where to look.

Any OS friendly app that doesn't bang the Amiga hardware should work with only minor bugs in MorphOS. Just ask what kind of software you need and chances are there is a working clone of it somewhere.

As for the crashes, it does sound like a hardware problem as MorphOS don't crash by doing nothing. My guess is the RAM.

There is a roadmap to change to another CPU and update the OS so it will have all modern features needed. But the Team don't have shedules as they never know if they can deliver on time. They usually just tell about upcoming features when it's 100% sure it will come.

MorphOS is a hobby OS, and the Team makes very little money out of it. If you find it too expensive for you then that is fine. Just play around with the free version instead. And if you change your mind you can pay whenever you want.

If you want some tips you can visit my blog: www.morphosuser.wordpress.com. I made it with beginners in mind.

Once again, welcome!
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »13.06.16 - 09:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Ozfer wrote:
    I'm new here and the high price really scares me. I am one of those people who just like to try out different OS and hardware, and happened to have a powerbook laying around for the past few years so the other day I loaded morph onto it to try it out. I really like that it is something different but what really scare me is lack of software, among other stability issues. First of I am new the the whole Amiga thing so I don't have too many retro expectations, all I know is compared to other systems the amount of software seems low and the usability is very different. I have had to relearn how to use this system as nothing is the same as anything else I have ever used. I have had many performance and usability issues that would not make me want to spend $125. Many times the whole system randomly locks up on me or crashes and Im forced to reboot. This combined with the bleak future outlook (How long can we continue using outdated powerpc hardware that apple stopped making 10+ years ago? and is this very feasible). youtube videos in the lowest quality stutter and major web services fail to load at all without any flash support. Basic HTML pages run the CPU up to 100% for a good 20 seconds and im using the 1.67GHz powerbook 2GB DDR2 ram fastest one ever made. ATI RAGE stopped hitting the mark 10 years ago....

It's definitely your RAM. I have the same model of PowerBook and the second RAM slot is faulty. It's an extremely common manufacturing fault with these machines.

Remove the second ram stick and the random lock ups will vanish.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »13.06.16 - 10:38
  • Just looking around
    I don't understand why morphos doesnt just get based on linux or something, port the whole mui ambient thing to linux where it could run flawlessly, and with the jit emulator it would be 99% identical to what exists now but better in many ways.
  • »16.06.16 - 15:52
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I don't understand why morphos doesnt just get based on linux or something,
    > port the whole mui ambient thing to linux where it could run flawlessly,
    > and with the jit emulator it would be 99% identical to what exists now but
    > better in many ways.

m68k programs also need the presence of the AmigaOS API, which "linux or something" doesn't provide.
  • »16.06.16 - 16:19
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Ozfer wrote:
    I don't understand why morphos doesnt just get based on linux or something

What fun would that be? :)
  • »16.06.16 - 18:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Ozfer wrote:
    I don't understand why morphos doesnt just get based on linux or something, port the whole mui ambient thing to linux where it could run flawlessly, and with the jit emulator it would be 99% identical to what exists now but better in many ways.

Just run UAE on Linux.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »16.06.16 - 21:22
  • Just looking around
    dexter
    I haven' red everything in this topic but this is what I think about the MorphOS prices.

I have a Mac Mini G4 with MorphOS and I think the price is OK. What I don't understand and don't like about the prices are the different prices for the different systems. I mean: WHY? I don't understand this. For me this is illogical.

Anyway: I paid for MorphOS because I want to support the AmigaOS like OS. I'll be honest: For me there is so far only one advantage: It boots REALLY fast! Everything else works for me better on my Linux system, especially the Amiga-Emulation with UAE/FS-UAE. If I would get a nearly perfect AmigaOS clone for x86 architecture I would pay even more (up to 250 € without thinking about the price).

Of cource there i another big advantage about MorphOS: It feels like AmigaOS!

[ Editiert durch dexter 22.06.2016 - 00:28 ]
  • »21.06.16 - 21:26
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    You should probably stay with emulation.
    Personally, I have a couple of legacy systems for Amiga software.
    But the latest emulators do a great job of running legacy software with what ever hardware you would like to be emulated.

I am relatively sure that most of us are ready to jetison legacy compatibility.
    After all, old Amiga software is just that...old (and pretty obsolete).

So what is likely to move to X86 is the best features that MorphOS has (enhanced without the constraints that legacy compatibility requires), not necessarily features of AmigaOS.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »21.06.16 - 21:53
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > What I don't understand and don't like about the prices are the
    > different prices for the different systems. I mean: WHY? I don't
    > understand this. For me this is illogical.

See comment #186.
  • »21.06.16 - 23:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    You should probably stay with emulation.
    Personally, I have a couple of legacy systems for Amiga software.
    But the latest emulators do a great job of running legacy software with what ever hardware you would like to be emulated.

I am relatively sure that most of us are ready to jetison legacy compatibility.
    After all, old Amiga software is just that...old (and pretty obsolete).

So what is likely to move to X86 is the best features that MorphOS has (enhanced without the constraints that legacy compatibility requires), not necessarily features of AmigaOS.

I think that MorphOS is very "Amiga-Like" (though I dislike that term), when compared to anything other than the "Real" thing (AmigaOS1.0 to AmigaOS3.9), or AmigaOS4.1FE. Those are the only two OSes that can claim a more original Amiga experience (IMO), that I know of. MorphOS is more advanced and faster than any other Amiga inspired OS, and I expect that it will remain very "Amiga-Like", even after the platform switch to x64. I expect the MorphOS Dev. Team to keep all the best features of our current MorphOS, lose the Petunia compatibility layer, and give us real 64bit, memory protected and text book SMP.

Those are my expectations anyway, and from what little has been shared about the goals of the team, I don't think my expectations are far off from what they are working to accomplish. Maybe some of you have heard or read news that tells a different story?

[ Edited by amigadave 22.06.2016 - 00:37 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »22.06.16 - 06:36