• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

OlafSch wrote:
    @Amigadave

Just my personal view, most in the amiga community that are still active are here for retro reasons, for daily work they use a modern PC or Mac, have smartphones and tablets. The interest in another "modern" platform is limited (expecially if it will not offer real advantages compared to current mainstream platforms).

I don't agree with your "personal view", and would argue that most of the NG Amiga users (of all 3 camps) are NOT here for ONLY retro reasons. Yes, they may currently be forced to use a PC or Mac for many of their computing needs, but that is not by choice, it is because none of the NG Amiga platforms currently have the capability to do everything they need/want to do. If/When any of the NG Amiga platforms are capable of doing most, or all of the computing tasks that these NG Amiga users need/want, then they can greatly reduce, or possibly eliminate their dependence on PC or Mac computers. Completely eliminating the need to use a PC or Mac might never be possible, but the need can certainly be greatly reduced, over time.

Quote:

Vampire/Apollo perfectly fits in the market and will sell in thousands. NG platforms will always compared to the other platforms and not accepted as long they not offer real advantages. I (as many others) feel at home in the 68k "retro" world, I do not need or want a "hyper-OS" with 64bit, SMP and MP because this already run on my notebook (including plenty of software not available on any NG platform). The competition on X86/X64 is very heavy, on ARM there might be more chances (f.e. Raspberry) but only "if" there is enough modern software. People in the community are still too hardware and OS-feature orientated, people today use devices and apps, content rules. Even Microsoft gives development software for free because they understood that only content sells today. In this high-competitive world MorphOS NG or whatever has no realistic chance except one of the camps manages to create a modern platform with up-to-date software even more advanced than what is available f.e. on Windows. Of course MorphOS developers finally do the ISA transition for fun and personal interest but I do not think it will add many new users or developers, this change should have done 10 years ago at a time where still were relative higher numbers of users and developers left, today it is too late already. Some existing users might buy it, perhaps even some might join but the "counter" will be steep at first but then will be flat again. It is funny today that it seems many former NG users and developers seem to go "back to the roots" again and drop NG and develop for amiga (=68k).

[ Editiert durch OlafSch 23.06.2016 - 11:31 ]

The Vampire/Apollo project is very interesting to users still interested in 68k software and hardware, but many Amiga users have gotten over the novelty of the original Amiga hardware and the elegance of its original pre-emptive OS. Some, like me, are interested in both the 68k and NG camps, while others, like yourself, are only interested in one or the other and sometimes rant against the other camp(s), as they misguidedly regard them as some kind of opposition. Regarding modern software for the NG platform(s), not much can be created, until a truly modern NG OS is created, without the limitations of the legacy system that inspired it, and development tools equal to what is available for other modern platforms are available, or at least tools that are close to being equal to existing tools for Windows, Linux and Mac platforms. We all know that this transition will take a very long time, but many of us are not content with how Windows, Linux and MacOSX work, and know that there is a better way. MorphOS NG will not soon over take any modern OS, but it might slowly grow in popularity, if it can operate similar to how the original Amiga worked, while slowly incorporating all the features currently present in those other modern OSes. It will take a very long time, maybe decades, and it may not succeed because it may die due to lack of user support, or the Dev. Team may lose interest and no longer wish to devote their free time working on it, but I fully support the current direction of the MorphOS Dev. Team and look forward to seeing what they can come up with over the next 5 to 10 years. You may say that you are not interested in 64bit, SMP & MP for any NG Amiga inspired platform, but I bet when it arrives, you will be interested enough to check it out and see what it is capable of. At that time, you may find that MorphOS of x64 is something you want to use and support (in addition to your continuing interest in 68k and/or Open Source projects).

I think you mistake developers of NG Amiga software, who now show some renewed interest in 68k hardware and software projects. I don't believe that any of them have completely given up on NG Amiga systems, just because they show an interest in anything related to 68k projects.

I don't think that MorphOS for x64 will be finished within the next 12 months (but would love to be proved wrong, the MorphOS Dev. Team is really amazing regarding what they can produce in a reasonable amount of time), so lets revisit this discussion in 2 or 3 years, and I will gladly accept your apology for the disbelief in the abilities of the MorphOS Dev. Team, and the desires of most Amiga users, you have expressed in this thread. ;-)

[ Edited by amigadave 23.06.2016 - 14:30 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »23.06.16 - 20:29