• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    "Fun" is subjective and individual. Of course many people enjoy retro computing, there are different things appealing to different people about it. Nothing wrong with that. The C64 scene is also full of fun-having people I heard. Good for them!

My following comment does not include AROS or MorphOS, both of which have different goals and to varying degrees achieved those goals. Neither claim to be "teh true" Amiga either.

The C64 scene is so, so much healthier than than Amiga scene. I gave up on the Amiga scene years ago as it is a toxic wasteland. Sure there has been a (very) small handful of cool products, but they are few and very far between. Only the new Vampire stuff raises a slight eyebrow with me. So much effort has ben placed on killing the "Amiga Classic" over the last 2 decades, starting with Gateway/Amiga through the McBill and now HYPErion years. Too many people waited for the fake dangling carrot that they never got. The current OS4 machines are a joke to me. Ridiculously overpriced boutique systems will never have a healthy following.

The C64 scene OTOH is truly going through a 2nd golden age. From truly nifty hardware constantly being released, to a plethora of quality new commercial game releases, to daily releases or quality software (not even mentioning demos). While there are some knuckleheads in the 64 community, overall the market and the community is vastly superior. It is a really a fun time to me a C= user these days.

Yes the 64 and 128 sold more than the C= Amiga line, but that's no excuse. The C= Amiga lines sold in the millions too. I'd argue even the Atari 8bit community is healthier than the Amiga community in 2016. That thought is just pathetic, but there weren't companies and people actively trying to kill the Atari 8 bit community off.
  • »23.06.16 - 18:02