• ASiegel
    Quote:

OlafSch wrote:

The developer I talked to has a self-developed framework that he uses to create games so I would say supporting 68k basically mean adapting it one time.

Have you considered that this "one adaption" is already going to require a substantial investment in terms of time? Plus, I was talking about development in general and not one very specific use case.

Quote:

Yes certainly supporting NG is for fun mainly, obvious not for commercial reasons (or at least not much), but besides personal interest or fun the 68k crowd including those who use emulation is by far the biggest market

You just acknowledged that people develop for self-gratification and then you start talking about "markets"...

Plus, even if one were to assume that there is a market to speak of and that it somehow mattered, the total amount of theoretical users is hardly the only applicable metric. What platform is being used the most in terms of hours? What percentage of the users are interested in your particular type of software? (How many people run productivity software via emulation, for instance?)

Quote:

so I am wondering why it was not supported by all amiga developers that are left.

Read my previous post. Because it is a goddamn pain to properly support for more complex projects.

Is gaining X amount of users worth to spend Y amount of hours of your limited free time dealing with archaic development tools on an emulated platform that you personally do not care for much?

As A-Eon continue to back port some of their software titles to 68k, perhaps the development environment is going to be improved out of necessity. But as it is, I find it quite easy to understand why 68k struggles to get ports from NG platforms.
  • »23.06.16 - 09:54