• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    @ASiegel

The developer I talked to has a self-developed framework that he uses to create games so I would say supporting 68k basically mean adapting it one time. Yes certainly supporting NG is for fun mainly, obvious not for commercial reasons (or at least not much), but besides personal interest or fun the 68k crowd including those who use emulation is by far the biggest market so I am wondering why it was not supported by all amiga developers that are left.

@Amigadave

Just my personal view, most in the amiga community that are still active are here for retro reasons, for daily work they use a modern PC or Mac, have smartphones and tablets. The interest in another "modern" platform is limited (expecially if it will not offer real advantages compared to current mainstream platforms). Vampire/Apollo perfectly fits in the market and will sell in thousands. NG platforms will always compared to the other platforms and not accepted as long they not offer real advantages. I (as many others) feel at home in the 68k "retro" world, I do not need or want a "hyper-OS" with 64bit, SMP and MP because this already run on my notebook (including plenty of software not available on any NG platform). The competition on X86/X64 is very heavy, on ARM there might be more chances (f.e. Raspberry) but only "if" there is enough modern software. People in the community are still too hardware and OS-feature orientated, people today use devices and apps, content rules. Even Microsoft gives development software for free because they understood that only content sells today. In this high-competitive world MorphOS NG or whatever has no realistic chance except one of the camps manages to create a modern platform with up-to-date software even more advanced than what is available f.e. on Windows. Of course MorphOS developers finally do the ISA transition for fun and personal interest but I do not think it will add many new users or developers, this change should have done 10 years ago at a time where still were relative higher numbers of users and developers left, today it is too late already. Some existing users might buy it, perhaps even some might join but the "counter" will be steep at first but then will be flat again. It is funny today that it seems many former NG users and developers seem to go "back to the roots" again and drop NG and develop for amiga (=68k).

[ Editiert durch OlafSch 23.06.2016 - 11:31 ]
  • »23.06.16 - 09:22