• jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

FerociousAmiga wrote:
    All version should be in the same price.

If you take a look bit further at the past, the price was the same for all (first 150e, then 111e), so I think this has been a fair move to reduce the price at least for the older hardware.

Quote:

AmigaOS 4.1 Final Ed.
    USD $34 (€ 30)

Take a look in the past with this too. It hasn't been long in that price. It was much higher (over 100e IIRC), and users who bougth it then, had to pay AGAIN for that 30e to keep the system up to date. And even after that, you still have to pay extra for new drivers and other system components.

It isn't that black and white like you see with just a quick look at the latest major release.

Quote:

Reason? I have seen used G4 PowerBook on Craig's List for USD $50. Now lets exaggerate and say it's $100. How does this justify the USD $126 for the OS?

This has been answered several times already in this thread, but I'll add that how could the team be changing the pricing all the time when some used computers market prices changes somewhere in the world? It isn't too long since Powerbooks were over 200e as used here, and there still is great variation in the prices. Some lucky find can be cheap, but it doesn't mean they're all cheap everywhere in the world. And as said, why the heck should software price be tightly tied to it anyway? Can you see anything like that in any platform that used prices would affect to the retail products? Users should be happy if the total price comes down if one part of the price reduces... can't understand this way of thinking.

Quote:

IMO this OS should not cost more the USD $56 (€ 49) which I still consider high but would put out but $ USD $34 is even more attractive and seems so much better priced. I can get a PPC version of Linux for free, not sure how fast it will work but it's available or use OS X Leopard at the most.

Of course cheaper would always be better for user point of view, but those two OS examples aren't good to compare. It's useless to compare to totally free systems like Linux. If you want to compare to something, show an example of currently sold and updated marginal system. Or some other software bundle which is sold and updated.
  • »07.06.16 - 06:19
    Profile Visit Website