• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Zylesea

I didn't mean that you hold these views (I understand that you don't). I was thinking in general terms. Pretty often you read here and elsewhere that "software X should be free (and open sourced)!" and suggest that programmers who wants to be paid for their work are greedy bastards. But you never read on a car forum that "car X should be built for free because wanting money for your car is greed!".

Yet another funny thing is that you almost never ever heard this suggested up until the mid 90's. Never. No one thought it was odd that a word processor cost 300$. Or even 1500$. People just said "oh, that is too expensive" and just didn't buy it or or used a pirated copy.

And even yet another funny thing is that when the "code should be open sourced" sort of mentality got stuck people argued mostly from a general standpoint ("with open source we can democratize computing") or even economical ("with open source you can get feedback on bugs and help to fix them") but now it's mostly an almost fanatical tone when it comes up. "Open source is the only correct moral viewpoint" or something like that. It's like the ugly side of the "Social Justice Warrior" mentality is creeping into the computer world too.

From a historical point of view I find this development fashinating. And troublesome.

[ Edited by Yasu 03.03.2016 - 13:54 ]
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »03.03.16 - 11:55
    Profile Visit Website