• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Yasu schrieb:
    @Zylesea

I do get what you mean there, but I still think it's odd that _this_ particular hobby should be accessable to everyone and not, let's say, collecting stamps. OK, I guess you mean that while we think 79 euro is not so bad but it's pretty bad for a poor person. Which is true.

Exactly. I paid 111,- for my Efika, 150,- for my mini and 111,- for my Powerbook and don't feel to be ripped off for it (albeit I am not wealthy in a western perspective). The price was okay for me. But for others these sums are quite some money amd may be a deal breaker. And look to the registration numbers, they _are_ low. If it's due to the price or just to the fact that the majority doesn't see the beauty of MorphOS (ignorants!) is not that simple to decide.
    Quote:

But it's funny that this line of thought often comes up mostly when we talk about software.

I guess this is due to the fact that software is virtually free of cost to _reproduce_ and hence many ppl don't see the real worth of it and - even worse.- don't see themassive work behind it. It's a difficult story. I am not advocating to make all things free, but I like to broaden the view and try to take perspectives of other people's view to get a bigger picture, to understand _and_ eventually learn from it.
    Quote:

Like it's a bad thing to want to get some money out of your coding. Some people who claim house builders should have a fair wage are quick to say that everything should be free and open source. Like programmers aren't good people for wanting a pay check. Why is that exactly?

Like said I am not for free beer for all but the brewers... It's a market thing: If the brewers don't get paid the free beer will soon be all drunk and the only thing that will follow is an ugly headache. But no more "party on!".

I never said to make MorphOS free. But it may also be true that the current market model is not the best of all possible ones. Which I honestly don't know.
    I once studied a bit of economics (I am a biologist and thought of doing some additional thing, was kind of "funny", but dropped it after two terms for various reasons (one was that lectures started at 07:30 in the morning!)), but the first lesson that was taught (with a great overhead and waaay too theoretic) is the pure fact that if you offer a product you'll need to find the price optimum that maxes out the total profit which is somewhere between max profit per item and max items sold. As economics is no real science (at least IMHO) there's no valid and general model to determine this ideal price. It's rather trial and error and a thing every vegetable seller on a saturdays marked implicitly knows (you don't need to study economics for that simple fact).
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »02.03.16 - 23:18
    Profile Visit Website