• MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

johey wrote:
    You're mixing up the concepts. What kolla means is that Morphos is restricted to one piece of hardware by license. The Amiga systems you're referring to is restricted by physical compatibility issues, if at all.

When you buy Amiga you are forced to buy Kickstart with it. If your Amiga breaks you must buy a new one and with new copy of AmigaOS.

If you buy AmigaOS update it is not restricted to one computer only but MorphOS updates are free.

AmigaOS has advantage if you are using WinUAE. You can get old, broken, Amiga 500/1200 what grants you a valid Kickstart license to be used on UAE and you can transfer UAE to other machine at any time.

Quote:

I agree with kolla that the license model is awful. Not only because the locking thing, but also by the fact that the license forbids you to use Morphos with an emulator. Modern operating systems are supposed to be virtualized for damn sake.

Amiga PowerUP license forbids that. Could be MorphOS 3.7 forbids that too or not, I have no chance to verify it now right here. But still, there is no VM that could run MorphOS 3.7 so it is not very relevant.

Quote:

Anyway, as I see it, Morphos is nothing more than a toy which can be fun to use occasionally. Therefore I've registered it for my Powerbook, despite the ugly terms.

Toys are supposed to be fun to use, at least sometimes :)
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »22.12.14 - 08:31