I'm about to join you guys... (couple of queries)
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Quote:

mmace wrote:
    I've been missing the old Amiga days quite a lot recently, in 2000 I sold my A1200T PPC CV63/3D to someone in the US, I've regretted it ever since.
    I've done quite a bit of digging and research over the past month, and I believe the best option for me is to buy a 2nd hand PowerMac G4 and get a licence for MorphOS next month.

Nice systems although the fans can be noisy on some models. Enjoy!

Quote:

1) I have read a lot about Hollywood, but looking on the site I can see no way to download/buy it unless it's not the English version, can anyone help with this? (I've developed Android apps for a couple of years so would love to expand this to Amiga software by trying out Hollywood)

There is some hope in that regard:
    "Please note that Hollywood 5.3 is currently only available for existing customers and cannot be purchased at this time but here is some good news for all people planning to buy Hollywood: Both Hollywood and Hollywood Designer will soon be available for purchase from Airsoft Softwair again." - July 07 2013

Quote:

2) Is there any photo manipulation software available? I'm not expecting Photoshop, but something simple would be nice

Showgirls (included with MorphOS) is fantastic, offering a surprisingly rich feature set with a really clean interface..
    Photogenics, for a fulller photoshop-like featureset is reputed to work, but it has been a long time since I had a copy to try out (I used to have Photogenics 5).

Quote:

(do online sites like SumoPaint work OK in OWB?)

Short answer: Sumopaint no. Many others yes.

OWB has a very up-to-date html5 feature set (around Firefox standards iirc) but only a limited flash implementation based on swfdec (around flash 8 level). Consequently some flash-based sites will work, some won't.
    I consider it more of a bonus when they do work - if one expects all flash-sites to work then it will lead to disappointment.
    Sites based on html5 however will mainly work (unless using webGL), such as the html5 version of google streetview. Some won't such as Angry Birds.

Quote:

3) Video editing? (even simple edits)

Pass on that one. afaik mencoder works, but is without any kind of GUI. Not sure whether our Blender version offers video editing.

Quote:

5) Is it easy to read/write to a shared folder on Windows 7 on the same network?

AFAIU no, although I've not used Windows since XP.
    SMBFS is available, which worked fine with XP shares, however MS seems to have broken SMB compatibility with Windows 7.
    Setting up an FTP server is probably the simplest and most reliable way to share files between from Win7 to MorphOS, with the exception of using a USB stick. :-)

Quote:

6) Can I remote control the MorphOS PC from work or my home laptop? (I currently use Chrome Remote Desktop on the PC, I also connect via VPN from my phone)

Yes, with MorphOS VNC server and a suitable VNC client on your work/home laptop.
    Remote desktop uses a different protocol (RDP), so you would need to use a client that supports VNC protocol.

Quote:

, and could I control my PC from MorphOS?

Yes, there are a couple of VNC clients available.
    There is also a remote desktop client (so you could connect to a a remote PC using RDP, just not the other way round)

Quote:

7) Is there any issues with Google Docs on OWB?

Not aware of any, aside form the limitations of google docs itself. :-)

EDIT: Damn, way too slow. Less previewing & editing, more posting!

[ Edited by boot_wb 19.08.2013 - 14:21 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »19.08.13 - 14:17
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    MacMini's come in 4 configs:
    1.25, 1.33, 1.42 and 1.42Ghz !!

Well kind of ;) Those last were labeled and sold as 1.42GHz but where inreality silently upgraded to 1.5GHz.

Those 1.5GHz Minis are the only ones with 64MB VRAM over the stock 32MB. You definitly want those 64MB !

A similar specced PowerMac G4 might not also be availble slighly cheaper, but also allows further upgrades:
    - SATA cards
    - 2nd video card
    - video cards with up to 128MB (in some models you might even get a 256MB 9600s to work)
    - 1.5GB useable RAM (Minis only take 1GB)

My main MorphOS puter is a QuickSilver 2001 with 1.8GHz Sonnet card, Sil3112 and 128MB Radeon9000 cramped into a Commodore-Gaming case, but such a setup is likely to far exceed your budget.
    At 100Euro you should be looking for a single-CPU 1.25GHz MDD-PowerMac G4 (these had a Radeon9000pro with 64MB as stock), or wait for a good offer on a 1.5GHz MMini.
  • »19.08.13 - 14:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Go for a Powermac G4. A Quicksilver will work fine if you can find a 1GHZ or faster one. I'm using a G4 MDD version that I replaced all the fans with newer near silent ones. So the wind machine problem is gone for me.

I had an A3000 loaded to the max that I owned since it was new before going MorphOS when the Pegasos II was released. My 3000 at the end of me owning it was in an Elbox Mirage Tower, had the A3000 mediator in it, CSPPC accelerator and ever singe PCI card the mediator supported. The day I got my Pegasos and had MorphOS up and running that A3000 was a thing of the past. I could do a lot more on MOS. For classic games I use UAE with no trouble. Ive even been using it as my primary system to see how much real work I can get accomplished on it for nearly a month now.

My G4 Powermac is even a step above my Pegasos II machine ever was. You will get the exact feeling you had with your A1200 and even more.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »19.08.13 - 15:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Some won't such as Angry Birds.

This used to work at least.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=10&topic_id=7556&start=3
  • »19.08.13 - 15:23
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    cheers Kronos, I've seen some going within my price range so think that's what I'll go for (the 1.5Ghz Mini), I didn't know the power macs were noisy, I just spent a fortune on my i7 PC to get it quiet so maybe the Power Macs are out of the running now!

Another question for you all, I do web development on the side (I learned HTML from CU Amiga and built a lot of sites using MicroEMACS on my A1200, this then got me my first job in IT!), is there anything similar to Notepad++ on MorphOS that will allow me to code html/php/javascript and colour-code the text for me?
  • »19.08.13 - 15:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > MacMini's come in 4 configs: 1.25, 1.33, 1.42 and 1.42Ghz !! Well kind of ;) Those last
    > were labeled and sold as 1.42GHz but where inreality silently upgraded to 1.5GHz.

This was the case with the silent upgrade from 1.25 to 1.33 GHz was well, btw.
  • »19.08.13 - 15:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > is there anything similar to Notepad++ on MorphOS that will allow me to code
    > html/php/javascript and colour-code the text for me?

Scribble supports syntax highlighting, but I don't know for which languages beside C(++), if any.

https://morph.zone/modules/news/article_storyid_1886.html
  • »19.08.13 - 15:36
    Cego
    hey, have a look at this!

http://oi40.tinypic.com/jgidrp.jpg

These are all the supported text types i guess :)
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »19.08.13 - 15:54
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    wow, cheers guys, the things I've learned about MorphOS's programmes today has exceeded my wildest expectations!

thank you all for the quick and informative replies, I can't wait to join you all very soon!
    (I'm tempted to sell my Pebble Smartwatch to get the money to jump in straight away!)
  • »19.08.13 - 15:57
    Stevo
    I'd like to add that while a G4 Powermac makes for a nice machine, the supported G5's are quite nice as well (from personal experience; my DP 2.3 with a Radeon 9600 is quite the upgrade from a Pegasos 2 ;). Oh, and near silent too!

[ Edited by Stevo 19.08.2013 - 17:51 ]
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »19.08.13 - 16:50
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Stevo wrote:
    I'd like to add that while a G4 Powermac makes for a nice machine, the supported G5's are quite nice as well (from personal experience; my DP 2.3 with a Radeon 9600 is quite the upgrade from a Pegasos 2 ;). Oh, and near silent too!

My fan-cooled DP 2.7 sounds like a jet engine taking off! lol
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »19.08.13 - 17:56
    bash64
    Quote:

mmace wrote:
    I've been missing the old Amiga days quite a lot recently, in 2000 I sold my A1200T PPC CV63/3D to someone in the US, I've regretted it ever since.
    I've done quite a bit of digging and research over the past month, and I believe the best option for me is to buy a 2nd hand PowerMac G4 and get a licence for MorphOS next month.
    I'm joining you lot no matter what the answers are to the below, but I was hoping I could get some feedback from you guys to some queries I have (mainly software recommendations):

1) I have read a lot about Hollywood, but looking on the site I can see no way to download/buy it unless it's not the English version, can anyone help with this? (I've developed Android apps for a couple of years so would love to expand this to Amiga software by trying out Hollywood)

2) Is there any photo manipulation software available? I'm not expecting Photoshop, but something simple would be nice (do online sites like SumoPaint work OK in OWB?)

3) Video editing? (even simple edits)

4) Any way to use Dropbox other than the website?

5) Is it easy to read/write to a shared folder on Windows 7 on the same network?

6) Can I remote control the MorphOS PC from work or my home laptop? (I currently use Chrome Remote Desktop on the PC, I also connect via VPN from my phone), and could I control my PC from MorphOS?

7) Is there any issues with Google Docs on OWB?

8) Does Google Music work in OWB as this is my main source for music?

9) Is there a way to download newsgroups binaries over SSL using nzb files?

As I said, these aren't dealbreakers, but I was a massive Amiga user back in the 90s and I'd really like to use this as my main desktop, which I think I will be doing, so any of the above would be just icing on the cake!

Thanks in advance for any help, advice & pointers

1) don't know.
    2) showgirls, ppt, imagefx, photogenics.
    3) blender, mplayer.
    4) I'd like to know this one too.
    5) Windows 7 uses NTLM v2 with 128bit encryption for shares. You can dumb down a share or share polices on windows 7 to work with Samba which is available for Amiga68k which should work on MOS. Change the Windows 7 share policy to allow for NTLM v1 if you want to be compatible with Samba/XP.
    6) Yes, RemoteDesktop is available with a GUI. I have controlled Windows machines just fine. No VPN software is avalable yet for MOS. maybe one day.
    7) Don't use google docs.
    8) I don't google much.
    9) News groups? I haven't used a newsgroup on a PC since the stone ages.

Hope that helps.

Force ntlm v1 for windows 7 and vista:
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21439833

[ Edited by bash64 19.08.2013 - 13:25 ]
    Mac G5 ISight 21" 2.5 gb of ram 233gb hd matshita dvd-r uj-846
    Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 2GB, ATI 9700M Pro 128mb
    1TB hd, DL-DVD Burner, Netgear pcmcia wireless card.
    ImageFX 4.5, PageStream 3.3, PhotoGenics 5.0
  • »19.08.13 - 18:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > is there anything similar to Notepad++ on MorphOS that will allow me to code
    > html/php/javascript and colour-code the text for me?

Scribble supports syntax highlighting, but I don't know for which languages beside C(++), if any.

https://morph.zone/modules/news/article_storyid_1886.html

Scribble has Perl and HTML listed in it's Types settings among others (E, Lua, Python, Bash etc)

I've only used it for C and C++ so I can't say how good it's support for other languages is but the syntax highlighting and auto-completion for C/C++ is very goood indeed.

There's always Cubic IDE but it's not been updated for a long time and probably won't be either but I remember that it has some kind of Web Development package included.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

• »19.08.13 - 18:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

mmace schrieb:
    cheers Kronos, I've seen some going within my price range so think that's what I'll go for (the 1.5Ghz Mini), I didn't know the power macs were noisy,

The mini 1.5 Ghz _can_ be noisy, too. If on low load the device is pretty silent, but if go go for full load the noise is a bit annoying. It helps though to clean the mini from time to time (it's not too hard to open). But generally the 1.5 GHz mini is a pretty neat machine, I have it in the living room and it's probably my most used computer.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »19.08.13 - 19:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Intuition schrieb:

There's always Cubic IDE but it's not been updated for a long time and probably won't be either but I remember that it has some kind of Web Development package included.

And Cubic has a plug in for Hollywood with syntax highlighting, run code directly from Cubic, documentation acessible from Cubic and more. For Hollywood quite a good choice.
    --

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
  • »19.08.13 - 19:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > There's always Cubic IDE but it's not been updated for a long time and probably won't
    > be either but I remember that it has some kind of Web Development package included.

Yes, it's called Webworld.

https://morph.zone/modules/news/article_storyid_1316.html

It doesn't seem to be available from the current website, though.
  • »19.08.13 - 22:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > There's always Cubic IDE but it's not been updated for a long time and probably won't
    > be either but I remember that it has some kind of Web Development package included.

Yes, it's called Webworld.

https://morph.zone/modules/news/article_storyid_1316.html

It doesn't seem to be available from the current website, though.

You can buy it on CD or Download Only from here:

http://www.softwareandcircuits.com/division/amiga/onlineshop/index.html

• »19.08.13 - 22:16
    ausPPC
    @mmace - While you're waiting for Hollywood, you might like to try Lua.

https://morph.zone/modules/news/article_storyid_2051.html
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »19.08.13 - 22:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Webworld [...] doesn't seem to be available from the current website, though.

> You can buy it on CD or Download Only from here:
    > http://www.softwareandcircuits.com/division/amiga/onlineshop/index.html

I don't see anything about Webworld there but if you say it is included I've no reason to not believe you.
  • »20.08.13 - 00:19
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:

9) not sure if http://kaczus.republika.pl/newscoaster/ can do this

PullDog may be another thing to check.
  • »20.08.13 - 09:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >> Webworld [...] doesn't seem to be available from the current website, though.

> You can buy it on CD or Download Only from here:
    > http://www.softwareandcircuits.com/division/amiga/onlineshop/index.html

I don't see anything about Webworld there but if you say it is included I've no reason to not believe you.

When I installed Cubic on my A3000 it asked if I wanted to install the web stuff, but I declined so I have no idea what's included with it.

• »20.08.13 - 15:29
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    I keep hearing that I need to install a pack or power pack straight after installing MorphOS, I cannot see it in the downloads, can anyone point me in the right direction please?
    thanks
  • »20.08.13 - 16:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

mmace wrote:
    I keep hearing that I need to install a pack or power pack straight after installing MorphOS, I cannot see it in the downloads, can anyone point me in the right direction please?
    thanks

You don't need to install any pack, but you are probably referring to Papiosaur's Chrysalis Pack.

Personally I reccomend installing the Grunch Package Manager by Geit and then manually installing anything you want.

http://www.geit.de/stupid/Grunch.lha
    http://www.meta-morphos.org/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=22

• »20.08.13 - 16:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I keep hearing that I need to install a pack or power pack straight after installing MorphOS

I guess you have misheard slightly. There's certainly no need to install Chrysalis (I didn't and won't), but in case you want to install it you need to do it on a virgin MorphOS installation.
  • »20.08.13 - 16:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

mmace schrieb:
    thanks

As others already said it's called Pack Chrysalis now. And while pretty impressive I would rather avoid it. It does and changes so much that eventually it also may add some trouble. IMHO it is just too much.
    Grunch on the other hand is very handy. It lets you easily install, update and remove applications.
    --

• »20.08.13 - 22:42
    Profile Visit Website