Price of MorphOS license
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    no, its not the opinion itself, it's the way they say it. there are more constructive ways to express that

I'm waiting for a reply to the $100 OS4 x86 laptop. lol

I mean, you can run GEOS on a unexpanded/unaccelerated C64 and if you're ok with that comparison, have at it with WinUAE, $100 x86 and OS4.1FE. :-)

My bad on the previous post, I didnt put enough --> :-) in it.

Sorry, just stating fact. No sense sugar coating it. Everyone wants to be pampered, so I just give the opposite. But really..come on.. this dude complains about $123 price of MorphOS then having to buy a Powerbook for at least $100. You're telling me he'll be happy with a 100 x86 and WinUAE emulating OS4.1FE and how it'll be like GEOS and a c64? Nope. So if he cant buy the cheapest hardware and the cheapest, most upgraded OS, MorphOS, he's not going to go get OS4.1FE.

@DFergFLA: Dont take my stuff too hard, I welcome you, but you're complaining about a niche OS which has people who work for literally nothing for an OS that gives them only a "thank you" because $123 is divided so many times, they might as well do it for free.

well actually you pay only for the OS4 license as most people dont have to buy extra hardware, because everybody got an x86 machine laying around somewhere. no matter if its pc or apple. when it comes to morphos you have to buy obsolete and "unsupported by the producer" hardware to make it run (if you wanna get it as cheap as possible)

100$ is probably too optimistic, but here in germany i can get my hands on an i5 laptop for 150 Euros (2nd hand). thats the same price for highend PB G4s... do the math

lol you too
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »19.02.16 - 23:38
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

Cego

100$ is probably too optimistic, but here in germany i can get my hands on an i5 laptop for 150 Euros (2nd hand). thats the same price for highend PB G4s... do the math

lol you too

How useable is this now $300 laptop emulating OS4? Also, what does this "newer" hardware get you under WINUAE specific to OS4?

[ Edited by TheMagicM 19.02.2016 - 18:00 ]
  • »19.02.16 - 23:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > There was just thread someone linked to stating there have been no Amiupdates in a year.

Yes, Hyperion changed the update scheme to how it was before AmiUpdate:

"Publishing lots of updates to individual component via AmiUpdate has proven to complicate matters more than it aids. For that reason, it was decided to go back to a more traditional update strategy of releasing bigger updates (consisting of several individual components), which also raise the revision of version library, in irregular intervals (i.e., when it makes sense) and use the ability for single component updates only in emergency cases."
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=40882&forum=14&start=40#777586
  • »19.02.16 - 23:48
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the price might still be 150€

It never was. It was about 125 EUR.
  • »20.02.16 - 00:25
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Andreas_Wolf

I stand corrected :-)

Also, where else would the money that pay for the servers come from?

[ Edited by Yasu 20.02.2016 - 11:20 ]
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »20.02.16 - 10:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> don't come complaining later then if [...] their [...] forum get slow as hell.

>> Are the MorphZone hosting costs paid from the MorphOS registration money?

> where else would the money that pay for the servers come from?

At least until about 3 years ago, MorphZone was sponsored by Genesi. But yes, this may have changed, given there's no Genesi logo and link on the homepage anymore.
  • »20.02.16 - 13:36
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    Are the MorphZone hosting costs paid from the MorphOS registration money?

No.
  • »20.02.16 - 13:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Are the MorphZone hosting costs paid from the MorphOS registration money?

> No.

Thanks. That's what I've suspected.
  • »20.02.16 - 13:57
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

DFergFLA wrote:
    My point is and has always been, the cost of a license being more then the cost of the hardware is crazy.

It is not crazy at all, though.

If the single most differentiating factor that makes you want to buy a particular computer system is a specific operating system and compatible third-party software, why would it be crazy to spend a larger portion of a computer system´s total cost of ownership on the very software that is the sole reason why you would purchase the hardware in the first place?

Personally, I find it a lot less reasonable if someone had to spend, say, USD 1000 on a complete system to run a particular operating system but only 5% of the sum would be used to pay software development expenses, even though the computer hardware was specifically developed to run this specific OS...

By the way, there are plenty of professionals as well as some consumers who buy software that is substantially more expensive than the hardware it runs on. (3D design, music applications, etc.)
  • »20.02.16 - 14:27
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    Take a x86 Laptop for 100$ and OS4.1 for 40$ and you'll have your cheap Amiga NG operating system...

now dont tell me that this is no competition.

Perhaps not a legal option, at least.

The end user license agreement specifically states that you are only allowed to use the software on Amiga-branded hardware. Source: Amiga World
  • »20.02.16 - 14:37
    Cego
    well, thats another topic, that even hyperion is trying to avoid. fact is: you can run OS4.1 on cheap x86 hardware.

Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    Take a x86 Laptop for 100$ and OS4.1 for 40$ and you'll have your cheap Amiga NG operating system...

now dont tell me that this is no competition.

Perhaps not a legal one, at least.

The end user license agreement specifically states that you are only allowed to use the software on Amiga-branded hardware. Source: Amiga World

Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »20.02.16 - 14:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The end user license agreement specifically states that you are
    > only allowed to use the software on Amiga-branded hardware.

CUSA's Amiga Mini would qualify then, I guess ;-)
  • »20.02.16 - 14:51
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    well, thats another topic, that even hyperion is trying to avoid.

Hyperion Entertainment openly stated at AmiWest that they do NOT in any way, shape or form support running their operating system on any but the officially sanctioned systems.

They also confirmed that they had absolutely no plans to add features to make their operating system run better on unsupported hardware platforms (physical or virtual).

Source: YouTube

Quote:

fact is: you can run OS4.1 on cheap x86 hardware.

You could also run a pirated copy entirely for free if all you care about is saving a buck.

Personally, I do not think these type of "facts" are particularly meaningful or helpful in the context of this discussion, though.
  • »20.02.16 - 14:56
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

Cego wrote:

Wait..you said 150eur..so that's 300. Which is it? 100 or 300? And how useable is WINUAE emulating a ppc running OS4? what did this newer, not old hardware like my powerbook g4, give WINUAE and OS4 specifically? LOL. Waiting....
  • »20.02.16 - 15:42
    Profile Visit Website
    Cego
    oh man... You're one hell of an ignorant MorphOS fanboy.

there are so many more advantages with OS4 on an emulated machine.

you can run modern applications with windows f.e.
    you are not getting an obsolete machine which got discarded by its producer and you have a faster machine than any powerbook. probably 10x faster.

a PB is a one-purpose machine nowadays - to run MorphOS. Besides that there would no reason to buy such old hardware.
    it doesnt matter how fast the emulation is, because PC Hardware is getting faster every week whereas the PBs will always stay where they are performance wise. so sooner or later it'll be faster then any powerbook. maybe it already is. dont know. It is also a question about the PPC emulation itself and if you've paid attention there is a lot of work beeing put into winuae recently.

and no matter how much you laugh, OS4 sales went up into the sky and hyperion surely didnt complain about that. they probably did lower they price on purpose knowing that winuae becoming PPC compatible.
  • »20.02.16 - 16:05
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Maybe I'm a dinosaur but I prefer to run my OS on real hardware and not in emulation. I bet a lot of people feel the same way regardless of camp.

It sure went up. What I want to know now if that translated into more active users or not. It's not impossible that a lot of people bought it, tried it in emulation, felt satisfied (or not) and put it away.

Also, there are plans for an ISA shift. Until then we have to be satisfied with what we got.

My MorphOS blog
  • »20.02.16 - 16:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    oh man... You're one hell of an ignorant MorphOS fanboy.

there are so many more advantages with OS4 on an emulated machine.

you can run modern applications with windows f.e.
    you are not getting an obsolete machine which got discarded by its producer and you have a faster machine than any powerbook. probably 10x faster.

a PB is a one-purpose machine nowadays - to run MorphOS. Besides that there would no reason to buy such old hardware.

Ignorant...aaawweeeee...that's so sweet.

If I wanted to emulate, I'd use WinUAE on Windows running the last of the real Workbench, not OS4. If I wanted to run modern apps, I have my ultrabook running Debian right next to it. I wouldn't want to run OS4 at a snails pace on a cheap laptop. Yes, everything is getting faster but your now $300 laptop STILL runs OS4 like GEOS on a 64. Hell, maybe in 10 years you'll have that cheap x86 to run OS4 at a normal speed.

I could care less what my PB or G5 CAN'T DO, but what it CAN with MorphOS...not like you with Windows and snail slow OS4.
    Anyway go enjoy geOS4 on your modern 64.

[ Edited by TheMagicM 20.02.2016 - 10:43 ]
  • »20.02.16 - 16:36
    Profile Visit Website
    Cego
    oh my god, i didnt want to hurt you. you lil blinded fanboy.

no matter at how you look at it, you have to pay more for getting the MorphOS experience and you will always have to buy extra hardware to make it run. The argument that you have to pay hundreds and thousands of dollars to use OS4 isnt valid anymore. now keep crying like a baby but MorphOS is now a lot more expensive than OS4.1

bzw, did you test OS4.1 under winuae with an i5 CPU@3GHz?
    i havent, but Toni Willen is optimizing winuae to make OS4.1 run better. and to come think of that Rosetta under x86 OS X did a pretty good job even on older and slower intel machines doesnt sound too pessimistic when it comes to emulating a PPC Amiga. Sure winuae has to emulate more than just a cpu, so some benchmarks would be nice.

and seriously? i dont think it'll take 10 years... PCs are getting twice as fast in 2 years.
  • »20.02.16 - 18:22
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Assuming people settle for emulation that is.

My MorphOS blog
  • »20.02.16 - 19:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    oh my god, i didnt want to hurt you. you lil blinded fanboy.

I guess if I like MorphOS that makes me a fan boy, I like it. I'm not bothered by it. If I stand up for what I like and it labels me a fan boy, I'm fine with it.

Quote:

no matter at how you look at it, you have to pay more for getting the MorphOS experience and you will always have to buy extra hardware to make it run.

I'm fine with the price of the license and I definitely am not into emulating hardware and running a kludge OS just to run a subpar geOS4.

Quote:

The argument that you have to pay hundreds and thousands of dollars to use OS4 isnt valid anymore. now keep crying like a baby but MorphOS is now a lot more expensive than OS4.1

I'm fine with what I paid and will pay. I'm perfectly content with the direction the MorphOS Dev team is going. If they choose to support something else and I feel it's something that I want, I'll buy it. I'm not like you..whining because I can't afford a license and want a subpar OS for $20.

Quote:

bzw, did you test OS4.1 under winuae with an i5 CPU@3GHz?

I wouldn't waste my time installing it. If I would repurpose an i5, it's for running Linux. Shit, I have a i5 ultrabook, no way will I install windows and that garbage geOS4.

Quote:

i havent, but Toni Willen is optimizing winuae to make OS4.1 run better. and to come think of that Rosetta under x86 OS X did a pretty good job even on older and slower intel machines doesnt sound too pessimistic when it comes to emulating a PPC Amiga. Sure winuae has to emulate more than just a cpu, so some benchmarks would be nice.

and seriously? i dont think it'll take 10 years... PCs are getting twice as fast in 2 years.

I am very impressed with Tony. Dude is a badass programmer. I'm not discounting what he's done or what will happen with geOS4 being emulated under another OS. That's great.

What will set apart or what does set apart what's happening now is geOS4 running under Windows. Even if it's usable, it's all just emulated. You might as well use workbench 3.x. if all we do is emulate, what's the point of making new motherboards, new systems etc. It'll be the same shit, just a different day and a different color.

It's ok if you swallow when the Hype boys show up tonight. Lmk if they kiss you afterwards. Lmao.

[ Edited by TheMagicM 20.02.2016 - 13:29 ]
  • »20.02.16 - 19:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > [...] OS4 "Classic" on UAE? [...] low res desktop

"WinUAE 3.3.0 WIP #1 (14.02.2016) [...]
    OS4.x supported UAE expansions: [...]
    - uaegfx RTG. [...]
    "
    http://www.winuae.net/frames/mainframe.html

Well that will certainly be an improvement. Any word on Warp3D?
  • »20.02.16 - 19:50
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    well, thats another topic, that even hyperion is trying to avoid. fact is: you can run OS4.1 on cheap x86 hardware.

You keep bragging about this like it is some great positive, so why not do a demonstration video and upload it to Youtube for us about your current OS4 Classic setup. Make it like an instructional advocacy video. You seem to think OS4 Classic on UAE is on par with MorphOS on PPC Macs, so demonstrate this for us.
  • »20.02.16 - 19:56
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    PCs are getting twice as fast in 2 years.

Nope, not even close.

Moore's law is dead.

Besides, UAE doesn't use multiple cores, just a single core and single core frequency hasn't improved in a decade.
  • »20.02.16 - 20:03
    Cego
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

Cego wrote:

You keep bragging about this like it is some great positive, so why not do a demonstration video and upload it to Youtube for us about your current OS4 Classic setup. Make it like an instructional advocacy video. You seem to think OS4 Classic on UAE is on par with MorphOS on PPC Macs, so demonstrate this for us.

where did i say that OS4 is on par with MorphOS under UAE? i said that i dont know the performance of OS4 in UAE, but this doesnt mean that you wont get a cheaper OS4 setup than MorphOS. The speed on OS4 side is at least a variable under emulated circumstances, so theres really no way to tell, because depending on raw CPU power some emulation will be faster and the other slower. Idk, but maybe Toni is going to implement multicore support into WinUAE so that 68k CPU, PPC, Custom chips etc will be emulated on different cores, which would result in even higher performance. But this is just speculation right here.

Somebody should do some benchmarks ranging from a cheap i5 system to an highend x64 PC.

@TheMagicM

150 Euros equals about 166 US Dollars and not 300. But honestly theres no point in arguing about the price/performance ratio of old PBs vs modern x64 Laptops.
  • »20.02.16 - 20:06
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Cego wrote:

where did i say that OS4 is on par with MorphOS under UAE?

You keep bragging about MorphOS having competition from OS4 CLASSIC under emulation on cheap laptops. People keep trying to explain to you it is an apples and oranges comparison, but you keep repeating the same lines over and over. OS4 *CLASSIC* is not even a full OS4 distribution, it is largely stripped. You might as well try to make the argument Minimig with OS3.X is also a competitor with MorphOS, since it would be about as valid as your argument.

Quote:

Somebody should do some benchmarks ranging from a cheap i5 system to an highend x64 PC.

There are plenty of benchmarks out there, none of them support your argument.

Link

With a high end i7 desktop, you will just barely edge out a a decades old A4k with CSPPC, but won't come close to a lowly Sam460ex. Your dirt cheap used laptop you keep proposing wouldn't match an A4k with CSPPC in raw performance. Then you factor in the show-stopping limitations such as 128MB RAM and you would have to question why we are even discussing this.
  • »20.02.16 - 20:39