About to try MorphOS :)
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Oh, OK, yes. Once i ejected the CD it behaves as expected -- not expected... should not boot from CD by default IMO.

The resolution is 1920x1200 on Apple Cinema HD 23" :)

What do you mean by "snapshotting in the context menu"? I tried and looked around, for example I want OWB to remember the position and size but could not find anything, will keep looking and digging.

I already submitted 2 bugs.

And... I am writting this in OWB from MorphOS! (Many sites don't work though, almost none of the financial sites I use won't open claiming that the cookies cannot be set although I set "save cookies" in the preferences).

Hm... undo does not work in text field as well... annoying.

Rough edges :-) But I keep going on... hope this is useful. I guess I am really spoiled by OS X...
  • »09.01.10 - 07:30
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Hm, tried to transfer some files via USB, it recognizes the stick but it shows nothing on it (although it sees the % used on it and even sees how many directories and files but does not show them!). Looks like another bug?

oooooooh i see, need to explicitly say "list" and "all files" and only then I see the files. Not very intuitive...

Also drag and drop not implemented. Need to manualy copy and paste. And then, of course, the same issue on the destination -- need to explicitly say "list" and "all files" to see the result. I discovered "Snapshot" but it does not remember "list" and "all files", only the position and size of the window...

OK I see it's like on Amiga, only shows icons and it's cleaner that way. But maybe, if there are no icons, it should automatically switch to the list/all mode to avoid confusion. Maybe one can get used to this eventually...

If I double click on a txt file it opens it in a txt editor. However, if I double click on an html file nothing happens... Shouldn't it open the browser by default?

I guess I should stop whining and start reporting :-)

[ Edited by mihailod on 2010/1/8 23:48 ]

[ Edited by mihailod on 2010/1/8 23:49 ]

[ Edited by mihailod on 2010/1/8 23:58 ]
  • »09.01.10 - 07:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    OK, there's a way to make the "show all files" option default (for a current drawer, that is). Snapshot works only when MorphOS has a file to write the settings to (that is - an icon. When in "list" mode you can see them as .info files. Basically any .png file will do (just rename it to .info), as well as standard AmigaOS icons). You can put an icon on a disk (flash drive) too - it's named "disk.info" then.

What do you mean by "drag and drop not implemented"? That you cannot copy a file from one directory to another by dragging it there? It always worked for me...

Oh, and about opening .html files (and other - .avi, .mpg, .adf and so on) just by double-clicking them - you will have to manually configure filetypes and choose the default action. A bit annoying, but well - after all you have to do it just once.
  • »09.01.10 - 08:41
    Kronos
    Booting rules are set by the OF, try changing it there.

1920x1200 can be quite heavy even for a 64MB-VMEM Mac, try going down to 16Bit, disable double/triplebiffer in the displayengine-setting.

You may also disable "Enhanced Display" found in the settings for every screen.

Snapshotting via context-menu only works for Ambient-Lister-Windows, if you want to snapshot an app you'd have to go to it's MUI prefs (unless it's not MUI, which means is probraly not snapshootable at all).

Depending on the skin used you will find some gadget in the top-right corner of every MUI-window, the leftmost will reveal a context-menu by left-clicking it. Select MUI-settings, a new window will appear in the "window"-section you will find options for "Window positions are ..."

If you want to change the default behaviour for all apps you go to Ambient's main-menu and select "settings->MUI".

[ Edited by Kronos on 2010/1/9 9:59 ]
  • »09.01.10 - 08:57
  • IKE
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    IKE
    @mihailod

I'll be doing my install next week on a Mac Mini 1.5Ghz machine! I can't wait!

IKE
    IKE

MacMini G4 1.5Ghz/PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz/PowerMac G5 2.0Ghz DP 7,2 Radeon 9650/256MB

Join the conversation @ r/morphos
  • »09.01.10 - 09:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

oooooooh i see, need to explicitly say "list" and "all files" and only then I see the files. Not very intuitive...

Yes, it's one of the Workbench legacies Ambient inherited, whatever the reason. Some old time AmigaOS users still want that as the default...

Drag & drop is of course implemented. No idea why it seems to fail for you.

As for the doubleclick, Ambient indeed needs some better MIME types autoconfig.
  • »09.01.10 - 09:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Drag & drop is of course implemented. No idea why it seems to fail for you.

Dr&Dr works fine as long as in icon view. It's kindda tough to select multiple files and do D&D, but I also find it problematic under MacOSX.

@mihailod

You need skype? Just use the iPhone WWW app:

http://s4iphone.com/index_iphone.jsp

I suppose it becomes proprietary after some time, but there are two more options (just search the forum).

Also note that on dual boot install (which is not your case), one can see HFS+ MacOS' partition which is extremely convenient to the current Mac users. Also, if You plan to make attempt to coding, try CubicIDE. This is proprietary, though.

Last issue is, get PolyNet NG which is a dock app, couldn't force some icons to appear though.
    Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
    Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
    Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
    Planned soon: an OS4 system
    Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)
  • »09.01.10 - 10:30
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    32MB VMEM should be enough for 1920x1200 with 32bit colour depth and this is what I am using on my Mac mini currently (only 32MB VMEM seen). Resizing Ambient windows flicker quite lot, though.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »09.01.10 - 12:34
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    @itix:
    If you have 64MB vmem, but only 32MB are shown (f.e. in GraphicsBoard), you could boot MorphOS via the bootmenu (alt key), then its showing 64MB vmem for me (and for others with the same problem)!

Isn't the cause for this bug already found and fixed?
  • »09.01.10 - 12:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    D&D in lister mode works just fine. Select files and move them outside window (left or right side). You can use RCommand+C (copy), RCommand+V (paste) too.

@mihailod
    Enable experimental cookies in OWB, they work fine with most sites. Disable opaque windows resizing (System settings -> IControl), honestly i never liked it ;). Customizing MorphOS can take a lot of time, but it's a lot of fun too :). I use 1680x1050 myself, it's pretty ok with 32MB VRAM, but in certain situations lack of VRAM is really visible.

[ Edited by Korni on 2010/1/9 13:58 ]
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »09.01.10 - 12:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Is there any incentive of updating it, enhancing it with Mac OS X and Linux and
    > bringing it over to this site in a cleaner form?

I really don't know as the site I linked to is not my site. The site's owner is

https://morph.zone/userinfo.php?uid=1220

So you would have to ask him.
  • »09.01.10 - 13:15
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    osco
    @ mihailodI
    "guess I should stop whining and start reporting"
    Ty for the whining. It comes, I guess ,when you first start flying.
    Enjoy and fine tune all. ;-)
    Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 1G, 250G Drive, Apple Cinema Display, MorphOS 3.1 registered, MacOS 10 PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 80G Drive,........Waiting
    PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 40G MorphOS 3.1 unregisterd
  • »09.01.10 - 14:47
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

mihailod wrote:

0. Surprisingly, it was not obvious to me at all how to burn a bootable ISO disk in OS X. I never burnt an ISO disk before on Mac and made two mistakes here. Right Click -> Burn on OS X just burns a disk with the ISO file on it. Mount and File -> Burn burns the disk with the content but it's not bootable. Only Disk Utility knows how to burn it properly. Maybe I lived under a rock but I am not ashamed to admit that it took me three attempts to do it properly. Most inexperienced users will probably make the same mistake and some of them might not even find the way out. This instruction could have helped users like me if posted on the main site but it's almost like an OS X issue.

It should be pretty obvious for people who have used separate burning programs. I'm not familiar how long Mac side have had burning options integrated in the OS, but if you've only burned CD:s that way, it probably can be confusing. Most of Amiga and Windows users have used separate burning programs for 15 years or so, so it's bit difficult to think that some people don't know the difference between burning and mounting an iso ;)

Quote:

4. Ugh, window redrawing has an ugly flicker. They also don't remember the last position and size.

Do you mean that icons are flickering when resizing? Or does something else flicker? Anyway, icon flickering was introduced at some Ambient update and it's bit ugly yes, but it only happens when you don't use enhanced mode. On enchanced mode everything is rock solid.

Windows have to be snapshotted to remember their properties. It's familiar method from Amiga and most Amiga users just love it (me included) :) I like when you can mess around when using system and not to care where and which condition you leave windows or icons. They will be back in the proper saved position next time. Use right mouse button over empty area on window or its titlebar.

Quote:

5. CD spinning is annoying, why is it doing that? I ejected it and tried an app and I am teleported back in the Amiga days: "please insert volume blah into any drive"! So, how can i copy everything on the disk so i am not bothered by this? It should copy everything by default, every major OS does that and also HDD space is plenty these days, we are not on floppies anymore.

Maybe there should be autoeject after installation :)

Quote:

6. The slim Apple keyboard does not work. Trying the classic one -- OK it was spectacularly detected ;) and it works.

All generic (PC) keyboards have worked here... maybe they're better for MorphOS use for their key arrangement too... but it is said that not all Apple keyboards work, IIRC.

Quote:

7. Half an hour passed by so quickly and I am prompted to register. I guess I need to reboot now although everything appears working except the message won't go away. (Wow, shutdown is instant :) ).

It also should be "unusable" slow, but if you don't run any more demanding programs it might not be that visible :P

Quote:

I also tried several apps, I guess there is a way to report some findings back to the developers of those apps, will dig around.

Separate apps usually contain readme file in their directory and if there's email address better use it.

And IRC is a good place to whine to authors... #morphos on freenode :)

Quote:

B) I found how to report bugs. Good. Is that the proper way to report other stuff as well? Like things I think they are missing features or just don't work as expected (which can be arguable, I know), for example things I wrote about in this post?

I guess MorphOS mailing list is a good option:
    "Please use the MorphOS mailing list for bug reports and other inquiries regarding MorphOS. To sign up, please send an email to the following address: morphos-subscribe@ml.morphos-team.net. You will receive a confirmation email, and after replying to that, you can use morphos@ml.morphos-team.net to send an email to the mailing list."

And IRC...
  • »09.01.10 - 17:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @mihailod

Make sure you use the latest OWB version (1.6.1), since this browser is still quite young (begun in January 2009) and in heavy development. About cookies... Before, I was using WebKit Curl cookie management, but it's actually not that compatible, so I also gave the possibility to use a new experimental cookie system (settings->network->experimental cookie system) , more compatible but that had its own issues. But now, it's mature enough, so i strongly suggest to enable it, instead of the default one (I'll probably enforce it in next version).

@jPV

Quote:

Do you mean that icons are flickering when resizing? Or does something else flicker? Anyway, icon flickering was introduced at some Ambient update and it's bit ugly yes, but it only happens when you don't use enhanced mode. On enchanced mode everything is rock solid.

Actually, it's was introduced by some intuition (or so) change, which doesn't support anymore something ambient used to achieve flicker-free resizing. :)

[ Edited by Fab on 2010/1/9 18:11 ]
  • »09.01.10 - 18:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Just woke up, thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Hope to continue my experimenting some time later today.

I already submitted 6-7 bugs last night via the embedded bug report system. Should I repeat them on the mailing list as well? (I will subscribe soon.) Is there the preferred way? For example, is the bug report system intended for the "real" bugs and the mailing list intended more for discussions and features?

Again, it would really be helpful if one could see the existing bug list or is that closed to the developers only? (I would like to avoid spamming with duplicates if possible.)
  • »09.01.10 - 18:14
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    I just would like to know where in the world can you get software support in the way the Morphos Team and community provide? :)
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »09.01.10 - 19:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Well, it also goes both ways, right?

I did not give up, got frustrated and bitched about things. I wrote down stuff and reported my findings. Then I discovered that some of the issues maybe are not issues at all but could be fixed by changing my habits in the same way I had to change habits when I switched from Amiga to Linux and then from Linux to Mac.

But yes, I agree, many people passionately replied and that's awesome. It gets harder to keep that sense of community and commitment as the stuff gets bigger and more money involved which is pretty much the case with all mainstream companies...
  • »09.01.10 - 22:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    After updating to OWB 1.6.1 and enabling the experimental cookies handling, the problematic financial sites work! THANKS! Now need to try install that plugin for YouTube.

I have spent more time customizing and digging and filing bugs/issues/observations... After initial rough start I am starting to like it more and more. Still need to try bunch of stuff...
  • »10.01.10 - 05:01
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Remote printing JUST WORKS. I am impressed.
  • »10.01.10 - 05:59
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    skipp604
    Quote:

mihailod wrote:
    (...)
    Again, it would really be helpful if one could see the existing bug list or is that closed to the developers only? (I would like to avoid spamming with duplicates if possible.)

This is exactly what I was thinking. Because sometimes it feels like the bugreporting we do just disappears somewhere in the void of MOS-Universe... I think that's a great idea to have a list of already submitted/confirmed bugs somewhere and which of them will be fixed in the next release, for example.

Also, I don't find reporting a bug through IRC (as suggested on MorphOS / Help Desk page) that comfortable.

There should definitely be a "Report a Bug" section of official MorphOS webpage maybe, with list of bugs that have already been reported, this way we could see how things are progressing with bugfixing issues reported by the users.
    bplan Efika 5200B, ATi Radeon 9250 / 256 MB, MorphOS 2.4
  • »10.01.10 - 09:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    eliot
    @Cocoon

Yes, you are right man!
    regards
    eliot
  • »10.01.10 - 10:57
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Forum, blog, IRC, email are all OK but are not tuned and optimized for conversation about bugs.

I have decided to use the embedded "Report Bug" MorphOS feature for now.

I have been submitting more stuff and got some replies from Fabien Coeurjoly so the process is working fine it's just that it's not as transparent as some of us want it to be. Instead of replying to me, people could simply post the replies to the specific Bug-resolution page, something a-la Sun's Java bugs site which I find EXCELLENT.

Also, the bug reporting tool misses lots of useful but basic stuff:
    - there is no component, all bugs are general (examples: MUI, kernel, IO, printing...)
    - there is no bug type (examples: cosmetic, show stopper, important...)
    - there is no milestone (examples: next minor, next major...)

At bare minimum, an ASCII template should be provided. I am gonna report this as a bug against bug reporting tool.

At the beginning, this general approach is OK but I think moving towards a more structured system and maybe using even some open-source tool with exposing some of the fields to anyone would be helpful (Bugzilla?).
  • »10.01.10 - 18:04
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    Quote:

mihailod wrote:

(Bugzilla?).

Trac? (without the source of course)
    Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
    Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
    Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
    Planned soon: an OS4 system
    Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)
  • »10.01.10 - 20:21
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Each system comes with a burdens of installation, migration of the current bugs to it, population, maintenance and upgrade.

I have informally proposed creating a bounty for this task in the Bug I filed (something similar to the Site Maintenance I guess, I am not sure how the bounty system works around here).
  • »10.01.10 - 20:53
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    r-tea
    @ mihailod
    8. Text editor: this one is covered I think

Try NoWinEd. It's fresh and looked nice. Unlike to CygnusEd and GoldEd it uses MUI.

7. iPhoto: ShowGirls? PTPDigCam?

You mean for downloading pictures from a digital camera?

If YES, I can append SimpleCam to your list. I use it for my old Canon PowerShot A430
    Mac mini G4@1,5GHz silent upgrade + Xerox Phaser 3140 + EPSON Perfection 1240U
    Commodore C64C + 2 x 1541II + Datasette + SD-Box

I miss draggable screens... and do you? I know I'm in a minority unfortunately.
  • »10.01.10 - 22:09