What is MorphOS - a brief introduction for folks familiar wi
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    While debating on amiga.org I discovered that there are still Amiga folks who really don't know what MorphOS actually is. I wrote a very brief introduction for those ppl. Dunno whether it is of benefit - read up yourself and tell me your impression.
    http://via.i-networx.de/wim.htm

If useful I may add it to the libraray here.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »01.02.11 - 13:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > tell me your impression.

Nice and easy to read. Good effort. Some annotations:

"Wordsworth"

The 's' shouldn't be there ;-)

"E-UAE which is well integrated into Ambient"

Clarifying that E-UAE is a 3rd party software that doesn't come with the MorphOS ISO could be useful.

"The ARexx reimplemantaion is not complete yet."

You could mention that functional components to make ARexx fully working can be obtained from Aminet for free:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6756&forum=3&post_id=69293#69293
  • »01.02.11 - 13:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Thanks for your input - changed that accordingly.
    --

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
  • »01.02.11 - 14:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Simon
    It's amazing that after all these years of existence, this was still needed.
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »01.02.11 - 14:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > It's amazing that after all these years of existence, this was still needed.

There're always people who after years of non-caring about recent developments in "Amiga" realm are only just discovering the existence of MorphOS. Such compact article can give them a basic overview of what MorphOS is about to help them decide whether to take a closer look at it or go elsewhere.
  • »01.02.11 - 15:11
    Simon
    I know. But still it's amazing

They should make it a sticky topic in their morphos section.

[ Edited by Oepabakkes on 2011/2/1 16:15 ]

• »01.02.11 - 15:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > They should make it a sticky topic in their morphos section.

If you're referring to amiga.org, then yes, that could prove beneficial indeed, preventing embarrassments like this one in the future ;-)
  • »01.02.11 - 15:25
    Simon
    Yes I was refering to the MorphOS section on Aorg.

• »01.02.11 - 15:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I was "Out of the loop", away from everything Amiga for a few years, after the bankruptcy of Commodore & Escom. I stopped following Amiga news when Gateway failed to do anything with what they had purchased and I missed the whole Red vs Blue wars when that was going on, so when I started to renew my interest and got my Amiga's out of the closet again, I did not learn about MorphOS until a few months before version 2.0 was released. So, I can understand why some Amiga users from the "Old Days" might not know too much about what MorphOS is and what it is capable of. Then there are still some hard line Amiga users that did not bother to learn much of anything about MorphOS, just because it was not "official" and didn't have the name Amiga attached to it. I think more of those users are giving MorphOS a second look now because there is such a huge difference in prices between the new and proposed AmigaOS4.x hardware and the second hand Mac G4 hardware that can run MorphOS2.x.

Let us all hope that more Amiga users will learn about and consider MorphOS2.x as a possible choice for their Next Gen Amiga. Larger user base = more incentive for the MorphOS Dev. Team to keep working on enhancing MorphOS and to continue porting it to more and better hardware, and more incentive for other developers to write new, or port existing, software to run natively on MorphOS.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »01.02.11 - 15:44
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I did not learn about MorphOS until a few months before version 2.0 was released.

Yet, you had become a MorphZone member more than 2 years before the release of 2.0. That's what I call amazing ;-)
  • »01.02.11 - 16:17
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I. myself, was not aware of 2.0 until a couple of years ago and I had missed the entire early development/melodrama period.
    That's one of the reason why I was clueless when I ran into party entrenched in one camp or the other with some really bad baggage still weighing them dow.

You guys deserve a lot of credit not just for what you've accomplished, but for the survival through tough times that you've managed to weather.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »02.02.11 - 00:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    I enjoyed the ride so far. About this February I will celebrate my 10th birthday as a MorphOS user. Though I don't remember the precise date when I installed it the first time it was shortly after the 0.4 version came out (which was 15th February 2001).
    --

• »02.02.11 - 01:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Amazing, but true, as unlikely as it appears. I am a member of many forum sites, but not active on all of them.

I may have joined this site in 2006, but didn't really start learning much about MorphOS until version 2.0 was announced. I had downloaded version 1.x for PowerUP boards, but could never get it to install on my A4000, so I gave up and did not pursue finding out more about it until I heard about version 2.0 and started thinking about buying an Efika. That was just a few months before version 2.0 was released.

Many people would claim that I still don't know much about MorphOS.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »02.02.11 - 02:04
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    The guide is well written and easy to read.
    There is also a MorphOS wikipedia which is quite informative. Easy to find as well, just google the two words, Morphos wiki.
    Perhaps there should be a link between the wikipedia and your page, and vice versa.
    The wiki seem to go into more technical details, but lacks the part about software compatibility that your page have.

Ps. I see wordworth is still listed as compatible, is that correct? I could not get it to run properly.
    Also it could be worth mentioning that while E-Uae is freely available, the required kickstart rom file is not. As far as I know the only way to get that legally is to buy it from cloanto. Apart from ripping it from your old amiga yourself, which I think is to much hassle for many users.
  • »02.02.11 - 04:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Added wikipedia link and a not e that a 68k kickstartfile is required for E-UAE.

WW: I have Wordworth 5 only, but it runs fine. Only if run on its own screen it doesn't return properly to Ambient after closing down. Hence I run it on the Ambient screen only. The installation was a bit tricky. IIRC I just copied over the old installation from my uae amiga directory and changed pathes accordingly. Also it requires the tooltype picasso=true.
    All in all it works nice for my legacy documents.
    --

• »02.02.11 - 11:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Great document, Zylesea! What do you think about summarizing it two times? A first summary that takes half the oroginal text, and a second that sums it up into something that would fit into a twitter message.
  • »02.02.11 - 11:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Added a word processing screenshot:
    Wordworth5, Amiga writer and google docs - all in one screen shot!

[ Editiert durch Zylesea an 2011/2/2 13:08 ]
    --

• »02.02.11 - 12:08
    Profile Visit Website
    Simon
    Slightly off topic ... I used google docs with MorphOS. Can you use copy-paste in there ?

• »02.02.11 - 13:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Unfortunately not fully. However you can c&p out off google docs to anywhere and it works bidirectional within owb.
    My workaround for such things: if you copy and paste something outside from owb, put it to a local dummy html file, open that with another tab and grab your content there to insert it to google docs. Not the best solution but it works at least.
    --

• »02.02.11 - 13:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I see wordworth is still listed as compatible, is that correct? I could not get it to run properly.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=552&forum=9&post_id=4049#4049
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1465&forum=16&post_id=10665#10665
  • »02.02.11 - 16:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Minuous
    You could maybe add a part about getting ReAction programs running under MorphOS.
  • »02.02.11 - 17:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Minuous schrieb:
    You could maybe add a part about getting ReAction programs running under MorphOS.

The intention of that article is not to be a "how to" but just give a brief impression what's it all about. If questions arise, they will be either covered in the further reading suggestions I gave, or just pop in some forum and ask.

Particularly in this case IIRC it is jsut go to Aminet d'l ClassAct and install the classes to sys:classes/ .
    --

• »02.02.11 - 18:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Minuous
    No, what you suggest won't work.
    Those classes on Aminet are obsolete and most ReAction software won't work with them. Eg. AmiArcadia for instance.
  • »03.02.11 - 03:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Rewriting AmiArcadia GUI to MUI is not such a big deal...
  • »03.02.11 - 07:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Minuous
    Actually it would be a considerable hassle. MUI is not as good anyway so it would be a downgrade.
  • »03.02.11 - 22:41
    Profile Visit Website