Best way to remote connect to PC.
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    My goal is to find the best way to connect to a pc remotely. The PC is running windows.

I would like to connect and use copy and paste between MorphOS and the remote PC.

I have tried to use TwinVNC for a while and it isn't reliable to use for this.

I then tried zvnc and it doesn't use the numberic keypad and the copy paste doesn't work.

I use 2 monitors as well.
  • »19.09.24 - 16:13
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Barrier/Synergy is your only other option.
  • »19.09.24 - 17:50
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Barrier/Synergy is your only other option.

Too bad, I thought there was an RDP client for MorphOS at some point...

Barrier didn't work for me when I tested it last...

Running the same 2 monitors for both MorphOS and Windows makes it interesting...
  • »19.09.24 - 18:12
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    There is an RDP client indeed. RDesktop.
  • »19.09.24 - 19:22
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    There is an RDP client indeed. RDesktop.

I will try it, with all of MS changes I doubt it works anymore... Will report back.
  • »19.09.24 - 20:46
    matt3
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    I'm using RDesktop constantly with Windows 10 Pro (remember that RDP support was dropped from Home versions of Windows). I haven't tried it with Windows 11 though...

Here are some tips to get it to work:
    https://library.morph.zone/Applications/RDesktop

I've also used RDesktop with a Linux server, it works with the XRDP there.

WOW, this works great! Thank you for sending me in this direction.

What version are you running? I'm using version 1.9 with a datestamp in 2021.

This solved a major headache in my daily routine and will save me a ton of time going forward.

Thanks again!
  • »20.09.24 - 16:59
    matt3
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:
    What version are you running? I'm using version 1.9 with a datestamp in 2021.

Yeah, that's the same which is provided within MorphOS. Never installed any other versions separately.

It runs much, much faster than TwinVNC along with the numeric keypad working. The biggest win is that cpu usage is almost nothing, with TwinVNC is was a total pig with memory issues to boot. It minimizes to Ambient just fine. With no log hits or memory issues.

That said, TwinVNC did let you see both screens on the PC and let you run it on either of you MorphOS screens. I don't see the ability to do that? Do you know of a way?
  • »20.09.24 - 18:21
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:
    It runs much, much faster than TwinVNC along with the numeric keypad working. The biggest win is that cpu usage is almost nothing, with TwinVNC is was a total pig with memory issues to boot. It minimizes to Ambient just fine. With no log hits or memory issues.

I haven't tried TwinVNC ever, but yeah, RDesktop feels very snappy and stable in every way. I've been happy to use it.. It's cool that you can decide if you leave audio on the PC or bring it to MorphOS etc. depending on the situation. And clipboard is shared between systems, drives can be mounted, etc.

Quote:

That said, TwinVNC did let you see both screens on the PC and let you run it on either of you MorphOS screens. I don't see the ability to do that? Do you know of a way?

I don't use multi-display setup in my daily machines, so I don't know about that. You have multiple screens on both PC and MorphOS or what's the situation exactly?
  • »20.09.24 - 20:52
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    Quote:

jPV wrote:

Quote:

I haven't tried TwinVNC ever, but yeah, RDesktop feels very snappy and stable in every way. I've been happy to use it.. It's cool that you can decide if you leave audio on the PC or bring it to MorphOS etc. depending on the situation. And clipboard is shared between systems, drives can be mounted, etc.

Rest assured no reason to try it! The clipboard works perfect and that is a big win. Haven't tried mounting drives yet, but have a server that everyone connects to so I probably won't bother...

Quote:

I don't use multi-display setup in my daily machines, so I don't know about that. You have multiple screens on both PC and MorphOS or what's the situation exactly?

I have 2 screens, both are use for MorphOS and for the PC. I mostly use both displays for MorphOS as thats where the lionshare of work gets done. But sometimes I use the PC and use ZVNC for that. In TwinVNC it puts both pc displays in on window, which was a neat trick. Not needed really since I only really need the main pc screen most of the time and when I need more I will just swap screens and vnc over for keyboard and mouse...
  • »20.09.24 - 20:59