• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Quote:

mmace wrote:
    I've been missing the old Amiga days quite a lot recently, in 2000 I sold my A1200T PPC CV63/3D to someone in the US, I've regretted it ever since.
    I've done quite a bit of digging and research over the past month, and I believe the best option for me is to buy a 2nd hand PowerMac G4 and get a licence for MorphOS next month.

Nice systems although the fans can be noisy on some models. Enjoy!

Quote:

1) I have read a lot about Hollywood, but looking on the site I can see no way to download/buy it unless it's not the English version, can anyone help with this? (I've developed Android apps for a couple of years so would love to expand this to Amiga software by trying out Hollywood)

There is some hope in that regard:
    "Please note that Hollywood 5.3 is currently only available for existing customers and cannot be purchased at this time but here is some good news for all people planning to buy Hollywood: Both Hollywood and Hollywood Designer will soon be available for purchase from Airsoft Softwair again." - July 07 2013

Quote:

2) Is there any photo manipulation software available? I'm not expecting Photoshop, but something simple would be nice

Showgirls (included with MorphOS) is fantastic, offering a surprisingly rich feature set with a really clean interface..
    Photogenics, for a fulller photoshop-like featureset is reputed to work, but it has been a long time since I had a copy to try out (I used to have Photogenics 5).

Quote:

(do online sites like SumoPaint work OK in OWB?)

Short answer: Sumopaint no. Many others yes.

OWB has a very up-to-date html5 feature set (around Firefox standards iirc) but only a limited flash implementation based on swfdec (around flash 8 level). Consequently some flash-based sites will work, some won't.
    I consider it more of a bonus when they do work - if one expects all flash-sites to work then it will lead to disappointment.
    Sites based on html5 however will mainly work (unless using webGL), such as the html5 version of google streetview. Some won't such as Angry Birds.

Quote:

3) Video editing? (even simple edits)

Pass on that one. afaik mencoder works, but is without any kind of GUI. Not sure whether our Blender version offers video editing.

Quote:

5) Is it easy to read/write to a shared folder on Windows 7 on the same network?

AFAIU no, although I've not used Windows since XP.
    SMBFS is available, which worked fine with XP shares, however MS seems to have broken SMB compatibility with Windows 7.
    Setting up an FTP server is probably the simplest and most reliable way to share files between from Win7 to MorphOS, with the exception of using a USB stick. :-)

Quote:

6) Can I remote control the MorphOS PC from work or my home laptop? (I currently use Chrome Remote Desktop on the PC, I also connect via VPN from my phone)

Yes, with MorphOS VNC server and a suitable VNC client on your work/home laptop.
    Remote desktop uses a different protocol (RDP), so you would need to use a client that supports VNC protocol.

Quote:

, and could I control my PC from MorphOS?

Yes, there are a couple of VNC clients available.
    There is also a remote desktop client (so you could connect to a a remote PC using RDP, just not the other way round)

Quote:

7) Is there any issues with Google Docs on OWB?

Not aware of any, aside form the limitations of google docs itself. :-)

EDIT: Damn, way too slow. Less previewing & editing, more posting!

[ Edited by boot_wb 19.08.2013 - 14:21 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »19.08.13 - 14:17
    Profile Visit Website