• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Raf_MegaByte wrote:
    I forgot to mention I was talking of FFS2...

...and not of a one generic FFS. :-P

I may be really ignorant here, and if so I do apologize. But AFAIK, the point with FFS2 was to make a fully backwards compatible re-implementation in C of the Fast File System that among a few other things supports media greater than 4 GBytes. I don't use the FFS for anything except for the boot partition (which isn't exactly 4GB+ in size ;-)) so I wouldn't know, but I honestly thought that MorphOS had FFS2. At least that is what all the docs say. Would the classic Amiga FFS even work on the Pegasos otherwise, without being reimplemented this way? And it's not listed as emulated, but native. I also remember some arguments on some forum (was it amiga.org?) a *very* long time ago, where some OS4 supporters kind of complained about the fact that FFS2 was mentioned in the first MorphOS feature list that was put online (this was supposed to be an OS4 component only, why are you MorphOS guys using it, this is piracy, etc, etc) but the answer was that the MorphOS guys had licensed this from Olaf himself a long time ago already, probably before Hyperion *even started* the work on their OS. I also almost recall that there actually was some kind of update in the FFS2 area with MorphOS 1.4 (perhaps nothing more than just 2 more dostypes or so, but now I am really in the deep waters and I don't know at all what I am talking about :-)). Anyway, I am actually under impression that MorphOS already have a native FFS2 implementation (from Olaf Barthel). Is this wrong?

I also recall I read some interview with Olaf, where he spoke about the FFS2 and said it was already quite feature complete, but that there is a limit to how much improvement one could make to this old (and actually quite poor, with lots of limitations) file system without braking the backwards compatibility. If I recall correctly he was scetching on a completely new file system, that should use journaling, allow for file names to be longer than 107 characters, permit file names chosen from character sets other than ISO 8859 latin 1 and much improved seek performance, and perhaps also a plugin system for extending the file system functionality (such as for caching and encryption).

A new file system is much needed IMHO. Perhaps this is what you mean?
  • »18.01.05 - 11:09