• Butterfly
    Butterfly
    tomjoad
    Quote:

Price: about 800 US$ (571 euro).

Even less. ThinkSecret reports US$499.

Quote:

Now I want to ask to you, readers of MorphZone, about your opinion about this possible competitor.

It is no competitor.

The new Mac is targeted at the "average consumer" market who want a real alternative to Windows. That's only MacOS at the moment. Mainly Windows iPod users who'd be willing to try a Mac if it'd be cheaper.

The Pegasos could still be the nicest multi-PowerPC-OS-machine around for geeks who are using / developing for multiple PowerPC niche-OSes, provided more OSes like QNX really materialize. For people who are willing to put some work into it to get things done or write/compile their software.

With the looming demise of MorphOS (sorry, I just don't believe it will recover from that blow anymore) I see the market for the Pegasos mainly in the areas where Genesi is selling them right now - ODW, SQL servers ... it won't have any significance for consumers. For this kind of application the Pegasos may still be cheap compared to maybe Xserves.

And if I wanted to use Linux, I'd buy an x86 box ... but then again Linux absolutely isn't my cup of tea from my developer point of view.
  • »01.01.05 - 23:01