• Butterfly
    Butterfly
    gary_c
    The BeBox is a standard ATX case but has a custom front panel. I thought it was neat at the time but it looks kind of dated now, don't you think?

One major attraction was the two LED "pulse" columns that showed (dual) cpu activity level as well as power-on and HD activity.

As far as I know, custom case parts are quite expensive to produce in low volumes. Maybe there's some off-the-shelf solutions for a BeBox-looking case. But I think a better idea would be not to try to duplicate the case, but make a new one maybe "inspired" by it, with some design echoes, the LEDs, and so on, but using new, available parts.

As for the OS, something like 4 Haiku guys, including the kernel person, have Pegs and work is under way on a PPC port. I don't know what the current status is; seems like BBRV mentioned earlier this year that the port is still in progress. It seems like, earlier, Genesi was promoting as many OS ports as possible, but now seems to be focussed on Linux. I guess this is due to the income crunch for one thing. But I hope all the initiatives begun earlier aren't just left hanging. A little communication to the people doing the ports now and then would be very good, I imagine. I hope this is happening.

A bigger problem may not be the initial port, but growing the platform even after the kernel and other OS components are ported. When 98% (or whatever) of Haiku developers and users are on x86, PPC activity might lag. It all depends on how active the Pegasos Haiku users and devs are, and how many end users get on board.

The BeOS experience could provide a lesson: once the x86 port was introduced, PPC support (apps) dropped way down. But this was partly (or maybe mostly) because supported PPC hardware gradually aged as more recent Macs didn't run BeOS. It'll be up to Genesi and Peg users (and other users if the Haiku port can be run on non-Peg PPC platforms) to make PPC Haiku viable.

(Sorry for no Italian version of this post. :-) )

-- gary_c
  • »27.08.04 - 02:47
    Profile Visit Website