EFIKA & XGI Developer Programs/SuperBundle
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Genesi
    The EFIKA boards for the MorphOS-Team will ship out as soon as we have all the addresses. We would like to extend that opportunity to the broader MorphOS Developer Community. Please let us know if you have not registered at PowerDeveloper and you would like an EFIKA.

We will be starting an XGI Developer Program soon. We have the 2D and 3D sources from XGI and are working with them on supporting a complete release. This has taken nearly a year. Please indicate your interest in this Program when writing as well.

Finally, if you are interested in including *or* licensing an application in the EFIKA SuperBundle please inform us as soon as possible.

R&B :-)
  • »26.11.06 - 23:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Neko
    @Kronos,

Thanks.

In summary: the Efika is not a Lotus Elise. It is a Smart FourTwo.
    Matt Sealey, Genesi USA, Inc.
    Developer Relations
    Product Development Analyst
  • »27.11.06 - 16:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

I hope you don't have a project in the system because I'm in the mood to deny it.

LOL!!!!

Matt Matt Matt....

This EFIKA board would be a toy for me. The way I would use it is for coding but not for your fu**in system. You can stick that up your ass for all I care.

Your board is NOTHING without MOS. If MOS Devel did not support it I wouldnt even think twice about even buying it.

[ Edited by TheMagicM on 2006/11/27 10:21 ]
  • »27.11.06 - 16:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Genesi
    Matt, please go back to your other work.

TheMagicM, please meet us later today. We will hand you the board ourselves. :-)

R&B :-)
  • »27.11.06 - 16:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

No I'm saying it would be waste of money to buy it just for Quatsch3&Co

Vesalia still seems to have some Peg2s left (and probraly other dealers too), that seem more like what you want.

You sound like someone who bought a 3L-Lupo and now complains that he can't win the 24h at the N?rburgring, nor can't transport his whole extended familiy in it .....

You sound like you dont have reading comprehension skills or are just reading between the lines. Let me clarify.

What I am getting at is, will this board run MOS and whatever applications effectively? I run a few apps at one time.. you telling me that when you use a PC you just run one app at one time?

My question wasnt intended to get YOU specifically all riled up.. I was just asking if this is effective for a MOS user. That is all.

[ Edited by TheMagicM on 2006/11/27 10:25 ]
  • »27.11.06 - 16:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Nitro
    Well the Efika is not the Pegasos2, but the Efika does have double the power of most PowerUp Amigas at about a quarter of the cost. I think it's great that MOS is supported for the Efika. People have been wanting a low cost PPC and here it is. This is a good opportunity for the community to grow and gain more developers.

[ Edited by Nitro on 2006/11/27 17:27 ]
  • »27.11.06 - 16:25
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    @BBRV

I sent you a PM, please reply.

@Nitro:
    Thanks, that reference was good to give me a basic idea of its speed.. sounds like a good cheaper alternative. :)
  • »27.11.06 - 16:31
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    @TheMagicM

Sure it runs MOS quite well (atleast thats the impression I got in Bad Bramstedt), but it's surely nothing one should buy instead of a Peg2 (or even a Peg1). Think of it as an 1MB A500 in 1990, enough to run 99% of all Amiga-SW, but in contrast to an 18MB A3000 you couldn't effectily run more than 1 (bigger) app at the time (and you didn't get the speed either).

But than, why did the A500 outsell the A3000 by a factor of 500 (just in 1990) ? Cos it was just good enough for what most costumers needed at an competetive price.

Putting another 128MB on it, and than the onboard GFX, USB2 and 2nd IDE others will surely demand would put it into the region of 500$, completly spoiling it's point.
  • »27.11.06 - 16:33
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I will lay off the "wanting extra ram".. it would be nice but I see your point.

I want to give it a shot and run MOS on it. It would be awesome to take to the local Amiga User group.
  • »27.11.06 - 16:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dolen
    Well...lets begin with 128mb and see if there will be any use for more later. Maybe there will be an efika mkII.
    I think Efika/hollywood will be very useful as A4000/scala replacement. I hope 128mb will be enough for that.
    As a musician I can see some oppurtunities as well, as a midisequenser on top of my synthesizer(MOS/hd-rec). Maybe a later version of efika would be onough for sampleplaying and audiorecording as well.

And its good that MOS and Aros gets a common platform. Compile youre software for Aros and run it on your athlon system when you need horsepower.
  • »27.11.06 - 16:46
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    @morphdelf
    can you stop with teh bullshit please ?
    128mb is more than enough for most uses efika can do, even 64 mb is more than enough, so please stop with your target
    marked babble.

...efika isnt a desktop machine , period

[ Edited by catohagen on 2006/11/27 18:35 ]
  • »27.11.06 - 17:33
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    4U2 will finally come, as a sub-laptop, and I would see a point to put 256 or 512 mb of ram in it. By now, I think we should try MOS in the 128mb-ed version, and see how it deals with MOS (I can say it will be ok, because as I said before, I had my peg1 a quite long time with 128mb).

In the other hand, Neko, please, calm down. It's not nice to hear criticism with a long hard work, but it was a quite constructive critic.
  • »27.11.06 - 17:41
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    judas
    Hi,
    I think Efika is a great machine, because it required MorphOS.
    MorphOS is the only Os, that really rocks on Efika.

To be realistic, linux has become mem hungry and 128Mb is just sufficient for special applications. (aka no Office-Stuff)
    Mol isn't a choise either .....

QNX would be ideal, too, but it's expensive and very rare in PPC world's desktops..
  • »27.11.06 - 18:17
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Donar
    Quote:

Neko wrote:
    The Efika is NOT a full featured super-desktop box. It is not an Intel Core Duo, it is not a high end cryptography smasher, it will not play Crysis and it most certainly isn't capable of making you a sandwich.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :cry:

All my dreams vanished with a simple post.

:lol:
  • »27.11.06 - 18:30
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    Quote:

[...] it most certainly isn't capable of making you a sandwich.

Nooooooooo!
    My only dream, vanished with a simple sentence xDDDDDD.
  • »27.11.06 - 18:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    You seem to have no interest in making positive comments. EFIKA would be way better with 256mb of RAM.

And why 2 browsers, because Sputnik dosent have all stuff and ibrowse dosent.

Why 2 paint programs? Well.. fXpaint loads and saves pngs etc, TvPaint dosent. fXpaint got great effects which TvPaint dosent, TvPaint got great pens and paintability etc.

If Genesi wants EFIKA to become something more than just a name/icon. A memslot is atleast better! Why? Because it give the user the choice.

The Amiga idea is to have something which you can build oppon. Without a memslot, EFIKA can rather become a gaming console or something like that ;)

The best thing to do, would be to create one EFIKA motherboard with mem on it and one with memslot.
  • »27.11.06 - 18:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    tarbos
    >You sound like someone who bought a 3L-Lupo and now complains that he can't win
    >the 24h at the N?rburgring, nor can't transport his whole extended familiy in it .....

Don't we just love those weird computer/car comparisons? ;-)

But I have a better analogy: There is space for a 34 litre tank but VW delivers the 3L-Lupo with a 8.5l tank and says
    "What do you want, it's clearly a car made for town trips and this is fully sufficent. If you want a big tank, get a Touareg!" :-D
  • »27.11.06 - 18:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    @MorphDelf
    Quote:

EFIKA would be way better with 256mb of RAM.

Since you in all your wisdom know so much about hardware design and marketing, why don't you just simply do a competiting product, that will kick some Efika ass with (gasp!) memory module connector and stuff?

Seriously though... I think I have totally missed the announcement that this will be the only Efika (or totally different hardware project) model that will be ever made.
  • »27.11.06 - 19:40
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Quote:

tarbos wrote:
    >You sound like someone who bought a 3L-Lupo and now complains that he can't win
    >the 24h at the N?rburgring, nor can't transport his whole extended familiy in it .....

Don't we just love those weird computer/car comparisons? ;-)

But I have a better analogy: There is space for a 34 litre tank but VW delivers the 3L-Lupo with a 8.5l tank and says
    "What do you want, it's clearly a car made for town trips and this is fully sufficent. If you want a big tank, get a Touareg!" :-D

If that tank makes the car 15% more expensive and less reliable ....

@MorphDelf

A memslot is just another way of adding costs to those you'd be quite happy with 128MB.

And it's another possible point of failure in systems that are supposed to run long-term/under odd conditions.

Just ask A4000D-users what they think about 14 year old memslots ;)

[ Edited by Kronos on 2006/11/27 21:03 ]
  • »27.11.06 - 20:02
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    ok, now that the memory thing is all squared away..

so when is MOS going to be released for EFIKA? :-D
  • »27.11.06 - 20:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    robjoh
    Well as a guy that really is interested in buying the EFIKA now when MorphOS -team as promised support in their next realese (thanks). I would say go for as a low prize as possible thanks. I am sorry I don't need a gaming machine, I have my GameCube and my PC for that. I need something to have fun with, for me that means learning to hack and have a machine that doesn't take five minuts to start.
  • »27.11.06 - 20:29
  • Just looking around
    bonkers
    Surely one should consider the EFIKA as an 1200/4000 replacement. I haven't used MorphOS much but I find it hard to grasp that all new MOS programs should need that much more memory then an Amiga. I've got 64mb in my Amiga and I've never run out of memory. So surely 128mb should be enough.
  • »27.11.06 - 21:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 05.10.2011 - 16:49 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »27.11.06 - 23:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    @ MorphDelf

The efika is no general purpose desktop maschine. It is *not* intended to be a computer for your primary use.
    It will house specific solutions.
    Have you seen the projects at ppczone.org? Those will drive the sales. Many of them will or may include MorphOS.
    Only a low percentage of Efika customers will use it as general purpose computer. But even if you want to do that, it is still quite possible.
    I used MorphOS on my old Blizzard with 64 MB Ram and it was quite useable.
    Currently on my Peg there is 91.1 M in use (and I have apps on three screens running, there are several browser windows open, Yam is running, I listen to music, some commodities are working in background, etc.)

Efika is all about getting the most out of limited money, space and energy resources. The 128M are the optimum fit given this paradigma.

And be asured that Neko is fully aware of MorphOS's worth, just dig a bit in ppczone,org's comments. if you're an attentive reader you'll find his love declaration to MOS there.

edit: fixed some typos and wordings

[ Edited by Zylesea on 2006/11/28 1:39 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »28.11.06 - 00:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I'm sure many realize that it is not intended to be a desktop replacement. But since it is being marketed as MOS-Devel approved it will be bought and used specifically to run MOS. Users will use it to its full extent.

Supposedly that hot moderator that everyone is talking about on AO is going to use it for MOS also. I hope that cool dude gets MOS Beta to run on that EFIKA.
  • »28.11.06 - 01:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Neko
    @TheMagicM

Well, the full extent is 128MB of memory, so they can use it up to that, can't they?

Even MorphDelf's comparison of how many apps he will have open (including two browsers and two paint programs at once.. sigh...) was pretty contrived. Running MorphOS in the deep dark past I never, ever ran out of memory with 128MB in my BlizzardPPC and Peg I and 256MB in my Peg II except when compiling some fairly nasty large projects. Even then, it wasn't so bad at all.

I am fairly sure a couple of web browsers, and paint packages designed around a 32MB-average-Amiga will run just fine on Efika with no problems at all. You can open all the apps you want until you run out; that doesn't mean that 128MB is not *ENOUGH*, it just means you are being rather greedy and contriving a low memory condition for the sake of it - because not all of those apps will be productive at once.

I am curious as to why Quake 3 requires 256MB RAM on MorphOS when a quarter or half of that will do for Windows 98....

http://www.ppcnux.de/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=5610
    Matt Sealey, Genesi USA, Inc.
    Developer Relations
    Product Development Analyst
  • »28.11.06 - 02:16
    Profile Visit Website