• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

HammerD wrote:
    There are ways to utilize additional memory on the A3/4000(T), and Blizzard PPC can take 256MB of RAM. A4000 has 128MB limit on the FAST slot, true, but there is 16MB additional ram on the motherboard and even more ram can be added via Zorro III or graphics cards. That last two type of memory is certainly slow, but Classic users aren't necessarily needing or wanting the fastest machines out there, but they do want to run the latest software where possible.

I know the BlizzardPPC can take 256MB, but it is also significantly slower than the CSPPC in real life performance. Not just the last 2 types of RAM, but Z3 RAM is also dog slow. Zorro 3 bandwith would be about 14MB/s. If you have a Radeon in a Prometheus or Mediator, you'd be getting far worse due to sharing bandwith with the video card. Trying to use that as system ram would be painful for modern computing.

I'm not arguing that it wouldn't be cool, it would be cool. I just understand the MorphOS team decision to put resources elsewhere.

That's fine that they make that decision, and I have to respect that, but I don't have to want that ;)
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »28.06.14 - 02:37
    Profile Visit Website